Author Topic: New JL Ocean Raceboard in the offing  (Read 9199 times)

dingfix

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: New JL Ocean Raceboard in the offing
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2015, 01:18:17 PM »
Boof nose - ugly?  Not all of them....

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2015, 02:40:31 PM »
When I said pointy I didn’t mean cutting bow, I meant comes to a point a la M14 or Rage. Neither of those two nose steers in the slightest.
I think the 'nose steering' GD is referring to is not so much the pointy nose getting pushed around because of the shape, as it is more multiple wake vortexes creating areas reduced buoyancy. Depending on who you're following, how many your following, or adjacent paddlers will increase or decrease the effect. Obviously this mainly occurs at a race start, and in areas of a race pack. I've stood back on my board when I'm in those situations to get the nose up. With the nose out of the water, the board still gets moved laterally and yaws all over. Best to just avoid being behind any number of people at a race start no matter what the shape of the nose on your board. After I hit clean water which is 95% of the race, I'll take my sharp pointy nose over a boof nose. I'm talking flat water starts too. On open water races the boof nose works well.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2015, 06:28:38 PM »
Boof nose - ugly?  Not all of them....

I love the look of that NSP and when I finally decided on the board I wanted, the 14 X 29" Coco Carbon was long gone in North America. Seems like a nice compromise between weight, durability and performance in all conditions.

dingfix

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2015, 11:17:09 PM »
Really pleased with my 12'6.  As you say, a great mix of performance and strength and so light. Surfs great too!  No idea why nsp discontinued the 14 x 29 in coco, maybe you can pick up a used one?   good luck.

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2015, 02:43:52 AM »
I'll put in a vote too for a boof nose. They're really nice in messy conditions, which is pretty much all I paddle in.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2015, 08:19:18 AM »
Folks,

I think you are over looking (something rare here) that one design feature does not make a board fast or slow it is the sum of ALL the featrures
Like or dislike the look but a board is fast (or not) out on the racecourse where the PADDLER is a big part of the "Go Fast Formula" than any other part

JimK
Extreme

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2015, 02:50:39 AM »
Jimmy has never been one for form over function. That's one fugly board, and I wouldn't look at it twice from most sharpers, but Jimmy knows his stuff. It will be interesting to try it.

Seen some better pics Pono and the board looks really good....typical nice looking JL lines and curves.

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2015, 11:20:06 AM »
Nicked this teaser off Facebook.....JL's artwork for the new race board.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Muskoka SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2015, 07:38:50 PM »
Pic from JL's FB page.  8)
It ain't over until the fat board sinks....

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2015, 09:44:01 PM »
Photo angles can distort what a board looks like.....but it certainly doesn't look Bonnie from that angle 😃

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2015, 12:29:47 AM »
A Focus Bluefin / Naish Jav Maliko kinda board?

sweet!

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2015, 12:46:15 AM »
A Focus Bluefin / Naish Jav Maliko kinda board?

sweet!

Bit of everything lol!

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2015, 12:54:35 AM »
Photo angles can distort what a board looks like.....but it certainly doesn't look Bonnie from that angle 😃
Well, it's still prettier than a Starboard Ace, and that has a fanatical following. Actually, it's probably prettier than any Starboard, for that matter. The Fanatic Falcons aren't things of great beauty either, but are still popular. And this JL board is at least likely to have a proper paint job, be significantly cheaper, and better built. So I'm certainly hoping that he's nailed the design. I've not been convinced about the tail rocker in some of JL's distance boards so far: the M14 and M12 work well, and I haven't tried the Rail yet, but several of the others seem to drag their tails IMO, virtually no matter where you stand.

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2015, 03:55:55 AM »
Well, it's still prettier than a Starboard Ace, and that has a fanatical following. Actually, it's probably prettier than any Starboard, for that matter. The Fanatic Falcons aren't things of great beauty either, but are still popular. And this JL board is at least likely to have a proper paint job, be significantly cheaper, and better built. So I'm certainly hoping that he's nailed the design. I've not been convinced about the tail rocker in some of JL's distance boards so far: the M14 and M12 work well, and I haven't tried the Rail yet, but several of the others seem to drag their tails IMO, virtually no matter where you stand.

Yup, the Ace looks horrific to me. Look forward to seeing more of this board....and hearing what riders think compared to what else is currently on offer.

Muskoka SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2015, 05:42:42 AM »

I concur.  I have to stand with my toes at the very front of the pad on our JL Stiletto 12-6 (290 litres) to get the tail even close to releasing.. (I'm 180lbs).  It is a 12-6, but nevertheless, with that much volume I would have thought it would be at least able to accommodate someone my weight. 
It ain't over until the fat board sinks....

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
Today at 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard