Author Topic: Anybody hit 1st Beach today?  (Read 99401 times)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: Anybody hit 1st Beach today?
« Reply #150 on: September 26, 2016, 07:15:42 AM »
It's funny. I have so few pictures of myself surfing and the ones I do have are pretty uninspiring. I basically think I probably look like a big clumsy oaf most of the time...nice to hear it doesn't always look that way.... :) 8)
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: September 26, 2016, 07:51:28 AM »
Stoney you had one front side turn where you were leaning in at a good angle that jumped out at me and then another backside turn that based on where I was displayed a very cool nose up and body position w/ paddle behind you...both on the same wave and impressive.

Went by 1st last night after a family event and a bunch of folks where out working it!  I shot out this this morning for a couple of hours and it dropped out darn near completely!   Was glad I brought my long (SUP) board for the knee highs.  More of a paddle than anything but worked on some fundamentals (cross stepping, quick turns, etc.).  Hope it picks back up!
Jimmy Lewis B&B Flat nose 10'1"
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

SUPladomi

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #152 on: September 29, 2016, 09:08:39 AM »
In VT and sadly have not been able to catch any of the real good swell that seems to be occurring weekly all over NE. Looks like there might be some pushing in down your way but the wind is less than ideal for SUP. The wind direction does seem good for wavesailing though and I need some kind of fix.

Anyone have any insight if 1st works for wavesailing? If yes, do you see frontside DTL conditions there? Is it even allowed or tolerated?

Are there other spots in Rhodie that work? Matunuck?

PDLSFR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: September 29, 2016, 09:42:37 AM »
Kitesurf and windsurfing over at Second Beach, never seen anyone at First other than surfers. Waves look great for tomorrow and this weekend but the wind looks like it'll be way to much.
Infinity RNB 8'2
Ron House 9'7
Ron House 10'7
Infinity New Deal 10'
Custom Infinity New Deal 10'
VEC 11'
Focus Bluefin 14'

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: September 29, 2016, 10:13:35 AM »
Yep, 2nd Beach but the far (east) end...closest to Sachuest Point.  I've seen a good number of folks park/concentrate in the far parking lot (if you go into the wildlife refuge you've gone too far) with kiter's largely on that end.  "Surfer's End"
(the west end/cove) tends to be just that, surfers and SUP's.

Its been blowing here for two days with no sign of letting up!
Jimmy Lewis B&B Flat nose 10'1"
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 29, 2016, 11:55:39 AM »
Acey-Boy, World class windsurfing on Cape Cod. Kalmus Beach, Hardings, just to name a few..

Not at first!

Same distance from VT!
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

SUPladomi

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #156 on: September 29, 2016, 01:38:31 PM »
Thanks for all the replies.

Ideal wavesailing conditions are with a breaking wave and sideoff winds which clean up the wave compared to onshore and it allows you to ride the wave frontside which is kinda hard to find around the northeast. That's why I was asking about 1st since ENE wind would be the proper angle. 2nd seems like ENE would almost be dead off shore which would make getting out and riding the wave challenging.

Senor Grande - Sailed those spots and many more on Cape Cod (on the sound and the bay). With ENE wind the West facing outer cape beaches will be a big gnarly onshore mess. The sound will be off shore (= gusty) with no breaking wave so not worth the effort. The bay is an option Corp, Mayflower) but will be short period windswell with no real breaking wave and that's similar to what I get around here anyway.

Will evaluate tomorrow am. If I make it down there, might decide to stay til Saturday so if the wind backs off late day may see you out there!

outcast

• Peahi Status
  • Ambassador for Nihilistic Surf
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: September 29, 2016, 01:51:23 PM »
Well while the Zoner fest was going on last weekend at 1st, i was proning with my kids at 2nd....when it got windy enough on Sunday, i sailed the NW briefly

1st doesn't have a good fetch....2nd can be fun

Anyway the next few days are mess, and ENE can work if there's a S swell  if you are on an island or something

ENE....Cape Cod Bay....sub-World class but fun.
Horseneck, and Some other spots in RI work in ENE

I'm not overly enthused due to the lack of S swell

Too many for the rack
Some in the shack
Some under decks
Some have straps

SUPladomi

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #158 on: September 29, 2016, 02:15:45 PM »
OC - Ha ha! Just replied back on IW. Thanks for the info.

So was it frontside last Sunday? On a waveboard or SUPsail?

It looks like the swell direction is gonna be more east. Wouldn't that suit 1st better in this case?

cnski

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #159 on: September 29, 2016, 02:42:13 PM »
I think the point at Matunuck would be an excellent spot to wavesail on a NE from what I have seen. Port tack, side-off conditions. Not sure if people really do it or not but the crowd is pretty tolerant to SUPS and if the wind is good then most of the surfers will be out of the water anyway. I would do it myself but I have no gear and haven't wrapped my paws around a boom since 2002. Definately miss good sideshore wavesailing and did plenty in my youth.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 02:46:24 PM by cnski »

addapost

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: September 29, 2016, 03:13:52 PM »
In VT and sadly have not been able to catch any of the real good swell that seems to be occurring weekly all over NE. Looks like there might be some pushing in down your way but the wind is less than ideal for SUP. The wind direction does seem good for wavesailing though and I need some kind of fix.

Anyone have any insight if 1st works for wavesailing? If yes, do you see frontside DTL conditions there? Is it even allowed or tolerated?

Are there other spots in Rhodie that work? Matunuck?

Check Horseneck Beach in Westport, Mass. Beach faces south so east winds are side shore. I don't do any of that krazy sailing/kiting stuff but I see guys there pretty often.
Bunch of old shit

SUPladomi

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #161 on: September 29, 2016, 03:40:04 PM »
Thanks AAP. Have heard of Horseneck. Good to know there are wind types there often.

SUPladomi

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #162 on: September 29, 2016, 06:26:44 PM »
cnski - Don't know what happened but my reply vanished so thanks for the info on Matunuck. Good to know your impressions on how it would be in a NE wind.

Thanks all. I'll stop polluting this thread now got lots of options!

rbgar

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: September 29, 2016, 07:36:04 PM »
NE no good anywhere for kiting except Scarborough or maybe 3rd beach but no waves.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #164 on: September 30, 2016, 11:59:31 AM »
Have fun this weekend boys. I won't be able to make it out until Sunday.

ENE swells and N winds I always see kiters and windsurfers at Plymouth Beach. Can get big at times. They are the only people I ever see out at Brown's Bank......most of them stay inside on the shoals closer to the beach though.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal