Author Topic: Anybody hit 1st Beach today?  (Read 99440 times)

salinity

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Re: Anybody hit 1st Beach today?
« Reply #75 on: April 29, 2016, 09:39:02 AM »
Jason, I would hold off on that SupATX board as you could probably score a much better board even cheaper this Sunday if your wiling to drive a little further into southern RI. Matunuck Surf Shop is having it's Spring SUP Sell/Swap meet. Below is the shops ad on craigslist. I myself will be bringing a full carbon BIC Pro Custom 9'2 which I'll sell or trade for around $450 as well as a full Carbon KeNalu Wiki paddle for $150. I will also have another board from KayaDogg a brand new Gulliver V-Box 2 8'6 for $600.

Great - thanks for the info. May be tough to get away on Sunday, but I'll see if I can.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #76 on: April 29, 2016, 08:13:26 PM »
Not sure what time I'll get there...may come down to take some pics and hang a bit. Taking the munchkin and Sue to breakfast in the morning and may head down to Newport for something different.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 01, 2016, 04:28:34 AM »
Had a great couple of sessions at 1st Beach Thursday and yesterday mornings.  Fun session with PDLSRF yesterday am!  And great to meet Kayadogg and CNSKI!!!  And scored an awesome Wiki paddle on an early bird Matunuck SUP swap meet sale!   

Mr. Big:  You missed it!  You really missed it dude!     ;) ;) ;) ;)

Be back in the next 2-4 weeks!

Jimmy Lewis B&B Flat nose 10'1"
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

salinity

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 01, 2016, 06:51:51 AM »
Had a great couple of sessions at 1st Beach Thursday and yesterday mornings.  Fun session with PDLSRF yesterday am!  And great to meet Kayadogg and CNSKI!!!  And scored an awesome Wiki paddle on an early bird Matunuck SUP swap meet sale
Looks like ti was fun in the am. I got to 2nd beach right as the wind shifted and came up. Tried out the 11-4 for a bit and got in a few short rides before it completely blew out - still find it tough to control that much board. Tried to get a few prone-style on the singlefin, but that was mostly an exercise in futility. All good exercise though!

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 01, 2016, 01:03:46 PM »
i drove by the Matunuck shop after a nice glassy Saturday dawn sesh--waist high max but clean long peelers--rights, lefts--no crowd at all

sunny warm windless--makes life all good
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

PDLSFR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 22, 2016, 04:43:57 PM »
A big day today at 1st, plenty of big bombs to go around and everyone got at least a handful. It was awesome having Stoneaxe with us again. Mr. Big got to test his new short Kings while I managed to not only damage my Kings but also got a nasty gash on my shin. You know the rules, if your bleeding in the water time to get out.

Hoping for some leftovers tomorrow, back up board time!
Infinity RNB 8'2
Ron House 9'7
Ron House 10'7
Infinity New Deal 10'
Custom Infinity New Deal 10'
VEC 11'
Focus Bluefin 14'

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 22, 2016, 05:48:15 PM »
The tropical paradise of Rhode Island delivered the goods once again. 3 2 for the first time. Rode my sinker 105 liter Accelerator for the first time - another King's beauty!

Switched back to the Monsterpiece later. Cheated by paddling out at ABC and caught a couple of OH sets. Sunny felt like Spring.

Stoney said he was gonna take a nap; went to roust him but he had split.

JP Joe was killing it on his 8'6" Surf Pro. Derek caught some beeg wans, before he tried to cut the tail of his King's off. Stoney rode a monster!
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

cnski

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #82 on: May 22, 2016, 08:17:02 PM »
I had a great time further West. Went there to pick up a 2015 14x28 Allstar glass/carbon hybrid. It's my summer workout routine board. Can't go wrong for the price but man is that thing heavy. Ugghh. I saw the one and only Supthecreek for the first time!!! He made a brief appearance in the lineup. His board looked a little on the small side cuz he was a fallin left and right. Or maybe he just "wasn't trying hard enough"? ;-) I was gonna ask if he wanted to switch but he was gone before I had the chance. There was alot of weird current and it was pretty bumpy. Challenging for sure. I made the right call and rode my 9'6" Flow instead of my 9'0" Infinity. Really impressed with the Flow. Great big guy board. But you have to stand in the middle where the volume is. I'm a believer in having a higher volume board on hand if the conditions go south. One on the wave it was pretty smooth and not too bumpy. What a great spot.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #83 on: May 23, 2016, 08:06:38 AM »
I didn't take nap, thought about it but not quite. After the 1st session my back was screaming. Sat in my truck with an ice pack for maybe 1/2 hour then went back out. I simply wanted one more wave. Actually got out fairly easy considering the earlier fiasco I was having or almost got out easy I should say. I thought I was outside and just relaxing when a monster set came in and I got hammered, made it over the 1st couple then got smashed bad. Stayed way outside after that and waited for the one. I really had no business being on one that size given the way I felt but if it was only going to be one what the hell....huge drop that I almost blew then it went smoothly after that....didn't do much but surfed it to the sand.

I was having a hard time that 1st session. paddle outs were horrific with my back feeling as it did. I really should have headed further south but I had a somewhat masochistic notion that the paddle outs would be good for me. What a fucking idiot! All I kept thinking about was surfing out a wave without having to pay the consequences of a nasty paddle back out. Next time for sure.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 23, 2016, 08:21:14 AM »
Logged in yesterday am to the surf cam and saw what appeared to be 1-2' with one SUP and one proner out.  Then yesterday afternoon I started getting pics from my SIL of both 1st and 2nd and was blown away!!!  It sure seemed to get big quick!  Looks like some remnants at the moment with one SUP'er out at 1st.

Sorry to hear of the injury/damage there PDLSFR!  Great to read you got out too Stoney - I had no idea you and Pono were brothers, which I read from another thread....I can only imagine the rousting between you two when you get together!  I'm guessing pretty friggin hilarious!

And Mr. Big:  You can throw it back at me...."you missed it Dude, you really did!"

Be headin back up in a few weeks....I'm guessing the forecast will be ankle-knee!  I don't care I'll take just getting out on the water!

8) 8)
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 23, 2016, 10:38:29 AM »
WhatSup, Well I accept your kind invitation with great pleasure!

Geez, you REALLY missed  it!!! 8)  8)  8)
Let it come to you..
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 23, 2016, 11:49:25 AM »
Mr. Big:  Got a good chuckle out of that...I deserve it!    ;D ;D

8)
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

rbgar

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 23, 2016, 11:59:44 AM »
yummy RI Cowpatties

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 23, 2016, 02:34:13 PM »
Nantucket Shoals Buoy.. ;D  ;D   ;D

13.5 feet..
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 02:36:33 PM by mrbig »
Let it come to you..
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin

PDLSFR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 01, 2016, 02:43:58 PM »
Geez, you REALLY missed  it!!! 8)  8)  8)

Sorry WhatsSUP had to steal Cleveland's quote as it was really awesome this morning, glassy, offshore, waist high clean fun waves, then as usual late morning wind started to switch and made it bumpy. Mr. Big &, KayaDogg on Sub 100L boards and myself on my 117L (Mr. Big nicknamed us the sinker crew).

Switched to my 9'7 longboard style SUP for the long rides and crazy fun. I think even Biggie changed it up to his Angulo.

Hoping Bonnie brings us more waves tomorrow morning !! Hurricane Season is officially on !
Infinity RNB 8'2
Ron House 9'7
Ron House 10'7
Infinity New Deal 10'
Custom Infinity New Deal 10'
VEC 11'
Focus Bluefin 14'

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal