Author Topic: Winter shoes/boots for Race Training?  (Read 6808 times)

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Winter shoes/boots for Race Training?
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2015, 06:26:50 AM »
Working on a river boat in my youth, I can tell you, don't wear any kind of wader or other rubber boot unless you have a pfd on.

You will sink to the bottom in rubber boots and can't really swim at all in them.

As a recovering striper fisherman, and fly-fisherman, I know it's an awful feeling when waders fill up with water.  I've seen guys get flooded while standing in the surf and struggle to get back up the beach.  Usually the best approach is get out of the waders first.

It's good to know that since water has neutral buoyancy, waders won't bring you to the bottom.  If you loose touch with the bottom you will still float (a PFD will help).  With some forethought and if you don't panic, you can get out of waders and back to shore. 

Foilman

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2015, 04:42:22 AM »
Attached is a pic of the boots that works tested by SUPTHECREEK and others for FLAT WATER ONLY in serious cold water situations They work and hold up

If you can't source these locally at a good price I can get you a pair w/ZONER discount

PM or email me
JimK
Extreme Windsurfing
Nice, I'll have to put these on my Christmas list. Maybe Santa will get me a pair.  ;D Are they 7mm though? I checked the neosport homepage and only found them in 5mm. Did they discontinue the 7mm model?
Starboard Allstar 14' x 25.5"
Starboard Coast Runner 14' x 28"
Bark Competitor 12' 6" x 28"
Fanatic AllWave 8'11"
Blue Planet Surf 10' x 32" inflatable

Turtle

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Laineet.fi - Keeps you One Wave Ahead
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2015, 02:30:11 AM »
I paddle a lot in cold climate. If the deck of your board is usually dry you get away with thinner boots. I don't like thick boots as the feel for the board disappears and they make my feet numb. I can get away with 5mm neoprene booties and woolen socks to the point there is no longer open water. I only paddle max 1 hrs if longer then feet gets cold.

I like these Rip Curl 5mm boots as they have flexible and don't have thick bottom. Balance is better as you maintain the feel for the board. Very good windsurfing booties also. The split toe does not work with extra sock. I use the Atan also.

Starboard National Team Rider
2023 14'x23" Allstar Custom Carbon
Starboard Lima M
Starboard Bolt L
Quickblade Trifecta 98
http://laineet.fi/

seant319

• Waikiki Status
    • AOL Instant Messenger - creatureripperST
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2015, 04:25:23 PM »
I have the neosport 7mm boots and they work ok for flat water only. Even with rougher downwind/upwind I conditions I ended up with some water in them. I had my wetsuit bottoms tucked over them. I have 7mm Xcels with the rubber tread on the bottoms worn out and they keep the water out better, but I feel like I am standing on ice in them. I am looking for something with better traction that will keep the water out.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal