Author Topic: Downwind in Biscayne Bay South Florida  (Read 3274 times)

Chilly

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Downwind in Biscayne Bay South Florida
« on: November 02, 2015, 05:34:03 AM »
This was a 10 mile downwind in Biscayne Bay in South Florida. Downwinds in the bay are usually messy with swells coming from different angles. Wind speed was a constant 25 knots, gusting to 30 knots ENE. I was on a Focus Bluefin 12’6” x 27 and my teammate was on a Naish Maliko 14 x 26.
I hope you guys enjoy it.

NSP 2016 12'6 Surf Race Pro

SUPJorge

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Downwind in Biscayne Bay South Florida
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 11:47:06 AM »
Nice video, Chilly! It hints at but, as you and I know, doesn't capture the challenge of trying to link the small, confused, short period bumps our shallow bay throws at us.
14' SIC Bullet V2 - 9'1" Naish Hokua X32 LE

Chilly

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 04:53:35 AM »
You’re right Jorge; it’s more of a high cadence type of downwind because you don’t get the long glides. The challenge is catching the bumps while getting hit with some side chop. It’s still a lot of fun.

SUPJorge

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2015, 07:22:59 AM »
We ride what we got. I'm a believer that this t.o.w. is far from easy and will pay big dividends when we get to Maliko, just like spending my first few days on skis in North Carolina ice helped me when I finally made it out to Colorado and Utah. 

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2015, 11:02:13 AM »
Everything helps if you are prepping for a visit to Maui and Maliko paddling.

Wow, that does look choppy! Maliko often has crossed up conditions. You can have a big groundswell that is difficult but possible to catch with three foot surface chop coming from the side.

The conditions can be extremely variable and some people hit it and think, what's the big deal? Others hit it on a day when it scales up and as soon as they get out of the gulch start to wonder why they ever paddled out and if they are going to survive the run.

If you're heading to Maui, paddle as much as you can and try not to have expectations, of the conditions or yourselves. In my opinion, the best things you can bring with you are good paddle fitness, good balancing skills and good sense to evaluate ocean conditions. What looks like three foot surface chop from the highway is often 10 foot rollers with 3 feet on top. You get out there and you feel like an ant. It's always worth hiring someone like Jeremy Riggs to help you figure things out for a time or two and/or timing your visit for when the big races on Maliko occur - like the Olukai and Paddle Imua in May. When's your trip?

SUPJorge

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2015, 12:46:03 PM »
Although its semi-circular shape is ideal for the driving/shuttle part, the shallowness of Biscayne Bay (10-15' all the way across) limits the size of the bumps and, therefore, its potential for DWing. I went out the day before Chilly shot his video in legit 30 mph winds + gusts that made my board flip like confetti in the wind when I fell off. Still, the bumps only got so high. I'm still waiting for a strong wind to blow down the East coast to see what the Atlantic Ocean will churn up.

Regarding Maliko, I had planned to go this past summer and spoke with Mr. Riggs but we were not able to coordinate the dates so we went surfing in Nosara instead. Right now, Maliko looks like a next Summer event.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 01:45:39 PM by SUPJorge »

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2015, 12:37:52 AM »
Great to see this Chilly! Looks an awesome albeit challenging run! I always like seeing footage of the rest breaks in vids. Seeing you and your buddy taking a hydration stop mid way is for me one of the major parts of the experience of downwinding. Just being able to stop midway, regroup and marvel at the day, the conditions, the sport and feeling lucky to be with great friends in the middle of the ocean is something I personally cherish and savour. It's a similar feeling to back country skiing. You just gotta stop sometimes and take it all in to appreciate it fully. 
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2015, 12:49:00 AM »
It's good if you're not much for panic. I don't think Maliko is particularly dangerous, but it can sure feel like it, and if you screw up and get inside the reef line it can be pretty terrible. Or if you have a bad line coming into the harbor and get into the Pier One break. The really good guys here know how to run in close to the jetty, but even they get murderized sometimes.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2015, 04:59:03 AM »
Although its semi-circular shape is ideal for the driving/shuttle part, the shallowness of Biscayne Bay (10-15' all the way across) limits the size of the bumps and, therefore, its potential for DWing...

That's a factor along the Jersey north/south shore line also.  A nice S wind and SSE swell will quickly become a S wind and ESE swell (almost perpendicular to the shore) as the swell is refracted in the shallow shoreline.  This relatively shallow shoreline extends for miles.  Still, when the conditions line up, its a blast.

Chilly

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2015, 06:19:53 AM »
I’m glad you liked it Off-Shore. I figured I will try to repay the enjoyment I get from watching the video’s you and DJ post. Yes, that midway break in the run is more of a mental break than a physical one. Just to take it all in.
The Olukai race would be on my bucket list. Good info from Bill and Covesurfer. Murderized by a reef would suck!

Argosi

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2015, 11:26:53 AM »
Nice video. It's good to see what downwind conditions look like in other locations beyond the typical downwind meccas.  Reminds me of the short period bumps we get on Lake Ontario, except it looks a lot warmer down there!

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2015, 03:57:13 AM »
I’m glad you liked it Off-Shore. I figured I will try to repay the enjoyment I get from watching the video’s you and DJ post. Yes, that midway break in the run is more of a mental break than a physical one. Just to take it all in.
The Olukai race would be on my bucket list. Good info from Bill and Covesurfer. Murderized by a reef would suck!

Firstly DJ is the master and we are all his pupils when it comes to downwind videos or any SUP videos for that matter. He sets the standard we all aspire to. I'm always keen to see other downwind videos. To see the set up, the gear, the technique, the conditions. Everything interests me. I'm also keen to downwind in as many places in the world as possible before I can't. This time last year I was in Melbourne and got in contact with DJ but our schedules did not work. Last month I was in California and got in contact with Clay to downwind but went SUSing instead as no wind. Next time I'm in Florida I'm going to be hoping for wind! And of course we all want to get to Maui and the Gorge so let's hope a few of us will meet up there one day.  In the meantime... TOW. Paddle. Paddle. Paddle  :D
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
PonoBill
April 23, 2024, 07:55:28 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 07:26:43 PM
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 07:16:46 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 06:56:28 PM
post Need a new Impact Vest
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 06:36:51 PM
post Re: Ocean Rodeo Glide-Allula
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 06:06:50 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 04:22:52 PM
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 03:07:49 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 02:59:32 PM
Dwight (DW)
April 23, 2024, 02:41:07 PM
post Re: Erik Antonson interview with Stacy Peralta
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:34:42 PM
post Fanatic 8.3 Allwave
[Classifieds]
firesurf
April 23, 2024, 01:28:40 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 01:24:35 PM
post Re: At what age did you, or do you plan to retire?
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:24:13 PM
post Re: Jimmy Lewis Super Frank
[Classifieds]
firesurf
April 23, 2024, 01:17:06 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal