Author Topic: Ultralight board mounted camera pole - how to build thread  (Read 38812 times)

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
Re: Ultralight board mounted camera pole - how to build thread
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2016, 08:19:25 PM »
Clay, that's such a great POV You really get to see the scale of the waves and all the action. Awesome!

Thanks Robert!   I appreciate the feedback.
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2016, 12:13:28 PM »
Attached is a photo of the coupler and Wipeout break away system that I used in the last video.

I tried strong magnets today and I think they will be to heavy to work well.  The pole is to long and has to much leverage.

on to the next idea...

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2016, 08:17:08 PM »

The biggest problem with the cameras as they are today is the weight, and then most of that weight is added by the battery.
A friend of mine has a company that separated the camera lense from the body and battery. I would assume it would be easier to mount that lens on just about  anything.

A.

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2016, 08:55:54 PM »

The biggest problem with the cameras as they are today is the weight, and then most of that weight is added by the battery.
A friend of mine has a company that separated the camera lense from the body and battery. I would assume it would be easier to mount that lens on just about  anything.

A.

I agree.  And this mount could be a lot thinner and lighter if the camera was lighter...love to hear more about the cam.

Back before the Gopro Hero I was using helmet cams with a lens that was wired to a backpack with a camcorder in it, then the biggest problem was the recorder was separate from the lens...funny how things turn around.   ;D

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2016, 07:14:51 PM »
Testing "5 times stronger than Velcro" - 3M dual lock - as a detachable mounting system. It seemed really promising until I caught a couple waves and it bounced off and was quite difficult to reattach. Turned into a stunningly gorgeous absolutely beautiful day, amazing clouds and groomed nuggets of joy to be ridden! Love to all :)

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2016, 04:12:01 AM »
Clay, I admire the continual search for perfection in your mounts! Magnets, then Velcro... As they say "necessity is the mother of invention"! You will get there I am sure! I'm thinking maybe a string and spring combination. If you ever had one of those toy figures as a kid that you pressed a button in the base, and then the whole figure collapsed, and then when you released the button, the figure sprang back to his normal self... maybe something like this could work..
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 04:13:55 AM by Off-Shore »
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: February 01, 2016, 09:35:20 PM »
Clay, I admire the continual search for perfection in your mounts! Magnets, then Velcro... As they say "necessity is the mother of invention"! You will get there I am sure! I'm thinking maybe a string and spring combination. If you ever had one of those toy figures as a kid that you pressed a button in the base, and then the whole figure collapsed, and then when you released the button, the figure sprang back to his normal self... maybe something like this could work..

Thanks Robert, great idea!  I think I understand it, would be nice to have the pole collapse and then spring back up after a wipeout.  Hummmm...

Seems like after every "promising" idea doesn't workout I give up for a minute, and then BAM! another idea comes.
Can't wait to try the next idea!   ;D

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 01, 2016, 11:43:24 PM »
Clay, you got it... I've no idea if it will work, but in theory, if you had the bungee cord or paracord + springs inside a tube(s) that connected the mounting bracket to the Gopro bracket and relied on friction between the pole and the mounting brackets to keep it in place, maybe this could work.. On the other hand it would still be connected and it being flailed around in the surf connected to the board might result in extensive damage.. Maybe best it pops off all together.. Maybe the claw and ball type clips from the Zoob toys..
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 12:02:06 AM by Off-Shore »
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2016, 03:12:20 PM »
Clay, you got it... I've no idea if it will work, but in theory, if you had the bungee cord or paracord + springs inside a tube(s) that connected the mounting bracket to the Gopro bracket and relied on friction between the pole and the mounting brackets to keep it in place, maybe this could work.. On the other hand it would still be connected and it being flailed around in the surf connected to the board might result in extensive damage.. Maybe best it pops off all together.. Maybe the claw and ball type clips from the Zoob toys..

Yeah the mount flailing around is definitely a concern, it's happened as I'm paddling out of the impact zone and not enough time to reattach it, luckily no damage to board or mount, this is one of the reasons I want it to be really quick to reattach. 

Interlocking connectors like the Zoob is what I'm working on now, something that snaps back easy and fast.

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2016, 03:15:29 PM »
I am glad my friend (SUPAlon) made the call and rallied us all for this super fun and beautiful SUP surf session.  Really magical to surf a new spot with awesome folks.  The gorgeous sunset was the cherry on top.

In small waves this mount is so easy and versatile, I have no concerns about it falling off or breaking.

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: February 19, 2016, 07:55:23 AM »
Really fun and challenging session with the howling offshore wind. Super stoked on the waves, board, and day with friends.

Trying a more robust fixed pole cam. Pole broke after my second wave, at the point where I had repaired it. Either it was the heaviness of getting hit with the lip or I forgot to drill holes so the epoxy has more to grab on to  :)

This is probably the best session i have had yet on a SUP, after the pole broke I had some amazing rides.  I felt really comfortable riding these hollow waves on SUP, it didn't feel like the large board was holding me back and I was making sections that might have been impossible on prone board, and maybe most importantly I was able to make it back outside without getting drilled like my prone friend was every time he caught a wave.   Stoked!

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: February 25, 2016, 12:43:03 PM »
Hi,

After several builds and testing I have decided a quick release is undesirable for me right now.  I have instead gone the other way and added more robust attachment points and reinforced the pole and hopefully it will stay attached and in piece in a wipeout or when hit with the lip.  I tested it yesterday morning and had a fantastic session, surfing with it felt great, and I'm really stoked on the footage and looking forward to giving it another test in some hollow beach break.  ;D

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 25, 2016, 03:22:46 PM »
Just fantastic!!!!  Love it.....BRAVO! 
Jimmy Lewis B&B Flat nose 10'1"
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 25, 2016, 05:15:58 PM »
Awesome vid Clay. Great riding, great POV, great conditions and good sounds. What could be better?

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: March 01, 2016, 10:26:34 AM »
Thanks!  I appreciate the feedback.  :)

I've been meditating on how to make a less toxic "greener" version.  I have some bamboo poles that I was going to make land paddles out of but they are to stiff for my taste.  They seem stiff enough for a camera pole though.  So I hacked one together in an hour or two.  Total cost is about  $20-30, maybe as cheap as $10 if knock off gopro attachments are used.  I look forward to testing and seeing how it holds up.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal