Author Topic: Marko foam vs. US Blanks  (Read 7712 times)

Fanman

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Marko foam vs. US Blanks
« on: October 28, 2015, 11:22:51 AM »
Any preference and why? 1.5 density
Thanks

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Marko foam vs. US Blanks
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2015, 12:57:30 PM »
Sorry, but I don't which is better. My last blank cost only $80 with the rocker and outline cut and for another $100 you can have someone CNC shape your entire board too. I don't know where you're located but I got my blank cut at WNC in San Diego.
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

goomba271

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2015, 01:25:52 PM »
Hi -

I'm sure you know that Marko specializes in EPS foam products... surfboard/SUP blanks are basically a sideline that has grown in to it's own specialty department.  USBlanks does the urethane foam (Clark) and EPS.  It is arguably better for bead fusion in EPS foam to have the blank molded as opposed to a hotwire cut from a big block. 

That said, both companies offer molded EPS as well as 'sled cut' blanks from blocks.  I don't know if USBlanks offers a cutting service but Marko definitely has a CNC cutter onsite and is capable of taking your file and transforming a sled cut blank to one that is ready to sand and glass with very little shaping required.  I have personally contacted them and they do have a few 'stock' files they can use if you are not able to design your own file.  These CNC cut blanks will arrive very close to finish shaped - think 'close tolerance' as opposed to a squared off/full thickness rail.

One big consideration with CNC blanks is potential for damage during transport.  A sled cut blank can take all kinds of hits and you will likely be able to shape around any damage.  A finished shape is far more vulnerable.

Anyway, check out both companies and email them with specific questions.  I've had good responses from both and I'm a very low volume backyard builder.  I have no experience with WNC or other computer shapers.  They likely do very good work but transporting raw blanks, having them cut, and then transporting the finished shapes to the glasser could be a pain if you don't live close by.

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2015, 01:42:25 PM »
It is arguably better for bead fusion in EPS foam to have the blank molded as opposed to a hotwire cut from a big block. 

Why is bead fusion better than hotwire cut?

They likely do very good work but transporting raw blanks, having them cut, and then transporting the finished shapes to the glasser could be a pain if you don't live close by.
Good point. I was paranoid about damaging my cut blank too. If Fanman is in  San Diego, WNC will deliver his cut blank for free or take it to the CNC shop in Oceanside for free too.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2015, 05:30:58 PM »
I'm still trying to figure out the best way to get a CNC blank here. Closest for getting it done locally I've found is Long Island. Even with shipping getting it done on the west coast would be cheaper than the $180 magenta is talking. What's a CNC cut blank cost at Marko?
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2015, 05:37:21 PM »
I don't know what Marko is charging but I suggest you call Greenlight Surf Supply tomorrow to see if their sup blanks are included in the big sale they are having that ends on 10-31.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2015, 06:12:11 PM »
Here's an older Marco pricing list.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Fanman

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2015, 06:26:01 PM »
Thanks guys for all of your input!
I will be in So Cal for most of the winter. I have been using Marko Foam on my last few boards and have been happy with them. I've been using Josh at Precision Shaping in HB to do the cutting, he wanted me to try some of the US Blanks on my next few boards. So I was just checking in to get some Zoner feedback!
Molded seems the way to go but I think I will need custom blanks or wire cut block foam from US Blanks after looking at there stock blank options? I will know a bit more once I get out there.
The closest cutting center in NY didn't want to do multiple designs for me but said he would just do multiple boards with the same CAD file, so I said, no thanks!
So for now I will continue getting my boards done out west!

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2015, 06:37:53 PM »
Wonder if they have wider now...34" is what I'm going for. I sent them an email...we'll see.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2015, 06:57:39 PM »
Marko focuses on recycling too. You can send all your off cuts back with their truck and they will turn them into new blanks. That alone made me love them.

They cut my Simmons and even the rough version was pretty great. I'll bet close tolerance is dang close to glass and go.

Good people and EPS and Eco focused.

NEplay

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2015, 07:14:26 PM »
Bob you can get a a foam blank CNC shaped in Higham.
New England Is My Playground

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2015, 07:18:51 PM »
Wonder if they have wider now...34" is what I'm going for. I sent them an email...we'll see.
The CNC machine Marko has is and old one that they bought from a friend of mine. It has limitations. It's slow and leaves you with some deep corduroy. I think Cowboy can attest to that. You would want to pay for the high resolution (extra passes) to have to finish sand less. The big limitation is the width. I sent them a 33" wide board file, and ended up with a flat spot mid rail that measured about 32.25" when it was delivered. I was not happy. They told me they could do 33"...Not!

If you want Stoney, you can send the file to a couple other places around here. There are probably 30 CNC machines within 30 miles of me. Try Brian at ProCam in Huntington Beach. He also sells the foam. I can get you some other places too. Ralph using a couple local guys, he could hook you up as well. We have good glasser's around here too?
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2015, 07:38:31 PM »
Where in Hingham?

TD...if this thing in Hingham doesn't pan out I'll be talking to you.
Bob

NEplay

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2015, 07:41:36 PM »
That is where Bob Blair at Speedboard has his board worked when he doesn't hand shape from scratch. I will give you the details tomorrow.
New England Is My Playground

goodfornothin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2015, 08:54:15 PM »
The guy and his family that own Marko foam are great guys and surf regularly,,,,the people who own us blanks are not the same kind of people.  I give my business to marko.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
Today at 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal