Author Topic: Sam Pa'e is a master inventor for gopro  (Read 4206 times)

Byronmaui

Sam Pa'e is a master inventor for gopro
« on: January 04, 2009, 07:55:08 PM »
Sam Pa'e was on Maui and made me a cool suction cup mount for the gopro. It will be able to be swappable on different boards. We tested it this morning in ankle snappers. Frank from lightningbolt provided the board and my son took it for a ride. The mount handled floaters, cutbacks, tailslides and helicopter 360's. Next step is bigger surf and wipeouts. Stay tuned. Sorry Maui peeps that missed the session but was put together last minute since weather was junk so blame Randy the phone guy if you weren't called. I don't have a pic of the setup but here is the vid. Enjoy and remember to share the stoke. Maybe Sam can post pic of setup.

**Sorry about the repeats in some sections of the vid but think my computer has issues***

Aloha

Byron

« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 08:13:24 PM by Byronmaui »

Rambo

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Sam Pa'e is a master inventor for gopro
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 01:37:05 AM »
Byron, that was awesome, captured the background SUPers beautifully.

Just a little tip if you you want it. When rendering out and compress for the web, the videos always goes contrasty and darker. Try adding a lightening filter to brighten the footage and also bring the saturation up a little, your vids will have much more detail and impact.

Love what you doing from a film makers perspective.

Cheers Rambo

Paduan Sam

• Sunset Status
  • Born and Raised in da Islands
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 07:24:48 AM »
I love watching these vids of Noah when I'm sitting at my desk pretending to be busy! ;D

Bring on more Byron!  Noah is ripping! 

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 08:13:43 AM »
Awesome as usual Byron. Way to rip Noah!
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Byronmaui

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 08:40:10 AM »
Thanks for the comments and appreciate the input Rambo. This was probably one of my top 20 sessions with da people. Forget the waves because there will always be another swell. The synergy was krispy kremes on the beach, Sam Pa'e in his Aloha shirt getting wet, people meeting new people, community waves for everyone, teasing and laughter, enforcement of water ettiqute by the Gopro hero possee, beginners trying to catch waves and catching waves for the first time, people on the beach hollering, trading boards, guys trying to sell downwind boards, Sam Pa'e being challenged to catch an ankle snapper on an 8'4 which bhy the way took forever, etc. There was sooo much I forgot and I think Sam caught alot of this on his gopro and is probably making a vid.

Aloha

Byron

Sam Pa'e

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 06:57:57 PM »
Aloha Everyone,
This weekend I had some business that needed to be contend on Maui. I hooked up with Byronmaui, Mr. Lightingbolt, Bolt Upright, and others from the zone to do a Session.

We had Krispy Kreme donuts & coffee for breakfast. Checked out the surf and went out and had lots of fun.

Seems like everyone came for a dawn patrol SUP session. The amazing part was everyone was there to join in the fun. Even a six man canoe was catching  waves

Even though the waves were small, just being in the water with friend and having fun was the best way to start off the New Year.

Sam Pa'e was on Maui and made me a cool suction cup mount for the gopro. It will be able to be swappable on different boards. We tested it this morning in ankle snappers. Frank from lightningbolt provided the board and my son took it for a ride. The mount handled floaters, cutbacks, tailslides and helicopter 360's. Next step is bigger surf and wipeouts. Stay tuned. Sorry Maui peeps that missed the sessio but was put together last minute since weather was junk so blame Randy the phone guy if you weren't called. I don't have a pic of the setup but here is the vid. Enjoy and remember to share the stoke. Maybe Sam can post pic of setup.

I have modified a suction cup for a GoPro camera and brought it to Maui. I modified one for Byron and did on for Randy.

Byron,
Sam Pa'e being challenged to catch an ankle snapper on an 8'4 which bhy the way took forever
8'-4"x 26'x 4" "Subsonic" is a small board and while standing on it, I did sink this board....however I did catch a ankle high wave........yeaa babe!!!!......You got to give me props for that!!!

Heres my version of this weekend session.

In closing  I would like to thank Bryron for hosting me this weekend. Frank for help me out with my business matter prior to my arrival on the island. And Randy it was cool hanging with you at Home Depot.

Aloha......Sam

Byronmaui

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 07:55:38 PM »
Sam awesome video....One of the best video showing the mood. My wife who never watches videos said this video kept her attention and anticipation level. You my friend are now officially part of randy and I's gopro possee and you are encouraged to enforce all video violations in the water. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Aloha

Byron

bagus

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2009, 10:59:23 PM »
Hey Sam.. that mod looks awesome.  Any tips on how you made it so I can make one also?  I want to mount my GoPro so that I can swap it around different boards and even different locations on my own board.  Any advice or bit of your knowledge is greatly appreciated.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2009, 11:24:45 PM »
Great vid Sam.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2009, 12:19:03 AM »
Great vid Sam.. Thanks... What Naish board were you on?

DJ

Sam Pa'e

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2009, 07:14:07 AM »
Aloha Guys,
This will definitely be one of my best times I'll cherish. This is why I love SUP

bagus,
Hey Sam.. that mod looks awesome.  Any tips on how you made it so I can make one also?  I want to mount my GoPro so that I can swap it around different boards and even different locations on my own board.  Any advice or bit of your knowledge is greatly appreciated.
Byronmaui had these professional grade suction cups from a company "Sticky Pods" http://www.stickypod.com/

The unique thing about it is the cups are cheap ($5.00 ea). They have a 1/4" threaded insert they can be screwed tightly to your cup..........But there's a down fall to it!!!

You have to us two cups (one for safety) and continuously keep your eye on it. I have talked to GoPro and they do have a suction cup mount for the camera but don't highly suggest it. May be "Rambo" can drop some insight on this.

If you get a suction cup like "casso" (http://www.cybersup.com/) I think this will work better for a safety measure.

The good thing about sticky pod is they have numerous mount you can use for different application/location (you can use) on your board. Byron is in the process of making a rear camera mount.

Bob,
Great vid Sam.
Thanks Bob......Byron is the true master. If I need help, I call him. He helped me with this vid.

DavidJohn,
Great vid Sam.. Thanks... What Naish board were you on?
I think it was the 11'-4".........This was Byrons board. It paddles nice, floats good, & light.

Needless, thanks again for the comment, if you have question ask anytime....Maui is definitely a place were you'll remember those "Many Classic Moment"

Aloha.....Sam

Rambo

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2009, 11:58:49 AM »
I have talked to GoPro and they do have a suction cup mount for the camera but don't highly suggest it. May be "Rambo" can drop some insight on this.

I thought i posted the GoPro suction mount in another post Sam...... maybe i didn't .. i am getting old.  :(  Anyway here it is again. I have 5 of these and I've used them for 12 months and never had any come off even in extreme wipe-outs.  This is the one i used on Woogie's Penetrator video.

The extra suction comes from the lever that extracts that last bit of air. You push the button to flatten the cup then throw the lever to lock it on place. Adjustable sideways and up and down.

You can put an extension on it to increase the height, but i would recommend no more than 300mm.

I have know idea why GoPro would not recommend them for SUP, both Justin and Nick know i use them all the time and their own website shows them being used on the outside of airplanes at 160MPH.????

More info http://goprouser.freeforums.org

Cheers Rambo

« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 12:07:10 PM by Rambo »

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
foiled again
April 24, 2024, 08:00:16 PM
post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99
April 24, 2024, 05:01:39 AM