Author Topic: Sore traps  (Read 1729 times)

Esteroali

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Sore traps
« on: October 22, 2015, 07:29:21 PM »
I am a new paddler and am trying to learn to paddle faster. I have watched most of the You -Tube videos on paddling. I scull competitively as a masters so understand the basics of making a boat go fast. I am amazed at the similarity of sculling and SUP strokes. I paddled tonight in a stiff headwind and my traps were aching. I consciously tried to relax my shoulder/Neck area and place the blade at the catch as if it were stuck in concrete.
Any specific newbie faults that could lead to trap/neck tension other than trying too hard? FWIW I paddle a 12.6 SIC x12'and getting more comfortable on it every day
Thanks

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Sore traps
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2015, 08:39:25 PM »
Not really, though you might try dropping your upper hand and gripping the shaft sometimes. Or even reversing your upper hand on the shaft (thumb down) to shift the load around.

SUP cranks a lot of muscles that are otherwise rarely used, or at least aren't used in the same manner. Your abs are probably next. Right now I'm nursing some pulls in my chest wall. I did several triples this summer--three 9 mile downwinders in a row--shoulders were fine, abs fine, neck fine, but my thighs were killing me.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal