Author Topic: 14' bump chaser  (Read 24509 times)

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
14' bump chaser
« on: October 21, 2015, 01:01:11 PM »
after the success of my first hand shaped down wind board i thought i would stick it on cad do a few tweaks and cut myself another. This board is not aimed at speed but purely at being the most fun board posable to down wind here in the uk conditions so it has plenty of rocker,greenly quite thin all round and with a even thiner nose and rails that don't mind a good old cross wind and mountains of chop. As i say i was supper stoaked with the first one i did, its kinda like down winding on a lazy boy its so easy and relaxed even at only 26 1/4" wide. Personally i think i would go narrower but i wanted to do one that i can share around with friends to try without it being to tippy for the average paddler.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: 14' bump chaser
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015, 01:26:12 PM »
Nice!  Looking forward to another great build Supuk.

Argosi

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 01:27:09 PM »
Nice! Is that your personal CNC machine? I'm sure you'll keep us updated as the work progresses.

What's the volume?

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2015, 01:35:32 PM »
cheers yes its my own machine i built and got up and running 10 months ago. I guess I'm pretty lucky to access to something like it but it does mean that i will never have to buy another board again.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 01:37:58 PM by supuk »

Argosi

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2015, 01:51:41 PM »
That's a great reason to have your own CNC machine! Heck, if you start making a few more boards for others, you could end up with a reasonable payback period. Although I really have no idea of the cost of something like that.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2015, 02:21:37 PM »
That's a great reason to have your own CNC machine! Heck, if you start making a few more boards for others, you could end up with a reasonable payback period. Although I really have no idea of the cost of something like that.

To buy something similar your probably looking at $60,000 if on average a prediction board is $2400-4000 then it's not actually too many. Lucaly it didn't cost that much but it did cost a lot in parts time and most of all research and I have a machine of a lot higher quality than most. Since Jan when I got the machine running This will be the 6th board I have done for myself, which would probably cost around $23000 if they were production boards so that's I gess one way to justify it lol

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2015, 02:13:10 PM »
few pics after fluffing

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2015, 02:25:03 PM »
Just more evidence that you need to become your own shop/label Charlie.  This board fills that portion of your "corporate" lineup that is sure to be a hit in the isles.  While I love your shaping talent, the thing that hits me hardest is your artist's eye for color, and the look of your finished products.

Biggreen

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2015, 02:37:05 PM »
Just more evidence that you need to become your own shop/label Charlie.  This board fills that portion of your "corporate" lineup that is sure to be a hit in the isles.  While I love your shaping talent, the thing that hits me hardest is your artist's eye for color, and the look of your finished products.

Ditto!

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2015, 02:46:34 PM »
cheers jim. the thing that i would like to be able to do is spend more time doing design work to do more of the design work as thats what i enjoy the most. i would love to have a shop also but property and land is so expensive over here its all most imposable to afford to get any where large enough to set up a proper place to build big sup boards on a larger scale and i would never want to get boards made in china as i have enough problems doing ding repair on them !

getcarter

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2015, 11:53:07 AM »
nice work as always !!!!!.....love the longboard too.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2015, 12:18:11 PM »
the plan was to do vac bagged cork however there was a 2 week wait on it from the supplier so going for glass deck and glass/carbon bottom bottom but glassed deck first
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 12:24:02 PM by supuk »

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2015, 01:07:27 PM »
got the bottom done today with the help of the other half. we wet the carbon out on the table and then did a layer of glass over the top. I cant quite decide on how to finish this one. Im half tempted to try the "light" finish with a qcell hot coat mix but it feels a bit wrong for some reason. Ether way I need to cover up a majority of the carbon as it to riskey leaving it on the top of the van in the summer.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2015, 07:54:00 PM »
Just paint it.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2015, 11:42:33 AM »
i decided to give the "light Finnish" a go and see how it turns out. As far as i can tell the production Finnish is the lay up then just a fill coat of epoxy Q cell  black pigment mix then a black hi build primer and then the colour and that is what i will do. The reason i think it is done this way is because the amount of sanding very hard hot coats is dramatically cut down. The Q cell mix sands very fast with 100 or 120 grit and you need not go any further before doing a coat of hi build primer which again is very easy to sand and the the colour wish all so gets a light sanding so no need for any perfect finishes, really it seams like a pretty lazy way to build a board and I'm not all that convinced by it but by building one with the same process its very interesting to know what they are doing in the factory and what people are paying so much for.

pic below is of the board with the filler coat on and sanded back,I'm not sure at this point if to stick exactly to the production technique or to do a extra thin coat of resin on top before the primer goes on.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal