Author Topic: Do you think Windsurfing is making a comeback?  (Read 58291 times)

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Do you think Windsurfing is making a comeback?
« on: October 20, 2015, 03:15:40 PM »
Somewhat at least?  It seems I am hearing more about it these days.  Perhaps a mixture of people realizing that kite boarding can be a bit dangerous and that a dropped kite is a PITA to deal with.  Also maybe SUP has helped re-spark the interest? 
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 03:21:41 PM by surf4food »

iopsailor

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Do you think Windsurfing is making a comeback?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015, 03:40:52 PM »
Definitely!  We   had almost five people out last week on a strong NE.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2015, 04:33:08 PM »
This may help.. I hope to try one next week.

https://youtu.be/IB-xXiXhM1M

Glowmaster

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2015, 04:38:13 PM »
not here on cape cod.  Kiting now seems more popular and the older gang windsurfs.  Haven't seen anybody learning in a loooong time.

I am one of them (old guys) but windsurf now 4-5 times a year instead of 1000 miles I did 5 years ago.

I paddle more.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 04:56:09 PM by Glowmaster »

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2015, 05:15:58 PM »
Kiteing is definitely more popular than windsurfing here in San Diego but it seems like in the past couple years I've seen the # of windsurfers grow, and that's despite the fact we no longer have any shops that sell windsurfing gear.  Plus there are no American windsurfing mags anymore. 

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2015, 05:29:21 PM »
Until we see young windsurfers, I'm afraid it's still dying. The strong wind here drew a big crowd of windsurfers Sunday in the ocean. They equaled the number of kiters. Unfortunately the windsurfers were mostly old. Several women just ripping, and all between 60-70 years old. Very impressive.

Meanwhile, several women kiters were ripping all under 25 years old.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2015, 05:53:44 PM »
No.

Well, maybe among the COBOL set.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2015, 06:04:18 PM »
I used to have to drive 75 miles north or 100 miles south to get real wind. That's an over night trip with today's traffic. I loved it, but their was only a handful of us from my area. Hobie Cats were a blast too, but I saw one out this entire year.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2015, 07:00:36 PM »
Anyone in LA area wanna volunteer to take me out sometime? I've never sailed and think I should probably do it at least a couple of times.

Is there somewhere to take a lesson around here even?

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2015, 07:23:34 PM »
Anyone in LA area wanna volunteer to take me out sometime? I've never sailed and think I should probably do it at least a couple of times.

Is there somewhere to take a lesson around here even?

You have heard of Captain Kirk's in San Pedro? 

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2015, 07:28:11 PM »
Also M&Ms windsurfing school in Long Beach. Oh and Long Beach windsurfing center.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2015, 07:31:20 PM »
Thanks man. I've never looked too hard but that'd make it easy. A session or two and then some craigslisting and I might be in business.

It'd be great to not be skunked when it blows over 10mph.

SuppaTime

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2015, 08:14:36 PM »
I still love windsurfing, or more precisely, wave sailing. Couple days ago I got a SUP session in the morning on the south side, and a windsurfing session in the afternoon on the north shore. But truth be told I would almost rather SUP than windsurf these days. It is just simpler. But I think windsurfing still has more adrenaline potential.

My observation is that among Americans it is a dying sport but I see lots of young people from other countries at Kanaha windsurfing. But I can see why it is diminishing - the learning curve is awful (for me at least it was) and it is very sensitive to the right gear - if the wind changes by 15-20% you have come in and re-rig, so you end up schlepping tons of stuff around with you. If you are young and short on play money, I imagine kiting would be a cheaper wind-powered sport to take up.
Slippahs:
Locals size 13
Reefs size 13
None size 13

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2015, 09:57:53 PM »
I loved it, but somehow I haven't done it in the past two years. Too much crap, even with a SUP sailer.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2015, 10:04:10 PM »
Funny this thread got posted today....I couldn't find anyone to shuttle with and the wind was cranking on the north shore of Maui so, for the first time in 2 years, I broke out my sailing gear and went to Kanaha.

Of course, all my shit belongs in a museum, it is all at least 15 years old. I rigged a 4.7, went out for one underpowered reach, came in, rigged a 5.2. Went back out, made 4 super fun, fully powered up reaches and managed to break 2 foot straps. Came back in. Left my gear rigged, jumped in the truck, went down Amala to the windsurf shop and bought 3 used foot straps. Came back to the beach and installed. Grabbed my harness and FINALLY, went back out. Got a solid hour of overpowered sailing. It ROCKED! Of course, the wind picked up so much that I was having a lot of spin outs and was sailing completely overpowered. I really should have gone in an rigged back down to the 4.7 again. SHEESH.

But, what a frustrating and equipment-intensive sport. No wonder I don't do it any more. I am going to try and keep it on my radar though. Near the end of my awesome sailing sesh, Jimmy Lewis and a few others paddled by on their way in from a downwinder. I have to admit, I would have rather been paddling than sailing but it was still a blast. The parking lot and beach crowd, me included, looked like the Shady Acres Rest Home bus had had a major escape. There were quite a few younger people sailing too but they all, every one of them under 45, had accents from countries all around the world, but not from the US.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 10:07:05 PM by covesurfer »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal