Author Topic: Walden 10'10" or NSP 11' - Newbie Help  (Read 6443 times)

SurfSUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Walden 10'10" or NSP 11' - Newbie Help
« on: January 04, 2009, 06:25:42 AM »
Hi all - First time posting.  Lots of good info on here.  I tried SUP at a demo day and was hooked.  I am about to purchase my first board.  I am 6'5" 215lbs, and an experienced longboarder, but my only sup experience was on the demo day.  I rode a 12'1" laird to start and did well, then moved to a 10+ surftech I think that was approx 28" wide and did fine.  I want a board for flat water paddles as well as mushy Gulf of Mexico waves.  I would also like to paddle my kids around on the front, and if I can get really good at balancing I might even try to fish for pompano off of it.  Anyway, here are 2 of the boards I am considering.  The Walden 10' 10" sup and the NSP 11' sup.  Both are 31" wide and similar in thickness, but the Walden seems to have some better features for surfing.  Does anyone have experience on either board?  I have read some reviews of the NSP, but as for the Walden I have only seen a you tube vid explaining features with no water footage.  Any help would be appreciated.  I am also open to other board suggestions.  Thanks for the info.

Velasco

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Walden 10'10" or NSP 11' - Newbie Help
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 07:00:25 AM »
In my experience (which doesn't include paddling the two boards you mention - sorry), all-arounder boards do nothing well (paddling flatwater requires very different rocker/rails/tails than a surfing board would).

I have three boards to cover what I plan on doing for the day - 12'6" x 28" Infinity Raceboard for distance paddling (opted for modified rocker and nose shape to handle rougher water instead of flatwater); a 9'6" x 30" Walden Magic Model SUP to surf; and my first SUP - a Naish 11'6" x 29" single fin.

I have used the Naish for surfing, paddling the kids on the nose, fishing (with a boardfisher basket - check out their website), exercise (distance paddling) and even racing (Battle of the Paddle).  I even had a disabled Marine on it while paddling him around the swim portion of a triathelon (and used it to lifeguard for another part of the race).  This board is great for just having fun,but if I am going to focus on either surfing or distance paddling, I'll go to my other boards.  The Naish catches waves easy enough, but unless the wave is a rolling wave, I'd much rather be on the Walden ripping.  The Naish goes fast enough in normal Southern California water conditions, but if I want to get to where I am going as quickly as possible (and take advantage of catching runners) - I'll bring out the Infinity.

My advice would be to look for a used Naish 11'6" (or 11'4" - this board has side thruster FCS fins - so it'll surf better but still retain the stability and all-round usefulness of the 11'6"), or a used 11'+ board.  If you are going to go fishing and bring any kind of gear other than just a rod/reel, the extra volume really helps.  Same can be said for playing with the kids - the more volume the better. 

Good luck and welcome!

TerryS

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 07:56:36 AM »
Hey Ben I have the 10'10" Walden, I am about your weight, I was where you are at now a few months ago. I have learned quickly on that 10'10', At 31 inchs wide it has a great glide for my weight IMO, It has done everything I wanted, from river cruzs to overhead waves to 1 ft mush. only downside has been, it chips easy when you bang it with the paddle. Look for the new ones with the hand holds built in if thats the way you go. Also check out the PSH 10'6"wide AA wish it was out when I was looking! Welcome

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 09:39:47 AM »
I've paddled both.. I'm about your height and weight.. and I'd go for the 11' NSP... Welcome to the Zone.

If you want to fish off and carry kids you'd be better off with the big Naish 11'6" AST.... I reckon..  ;D

DJ

corran

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 06:11:34 AM »
NSP?

You mean like... paddle a door? Come on, you can't seriously recommend an NSP to anyone other than someone who doesn't surf, and just wants a board to hang in the living room so they can claim to surf when they bring girls over.

With the dozens upon dozens of shapes out there, from guys who put heart and soul into the boards, and don't just churn out $$ doors. Aside from the fact that the NSP construction means ipso facto no flex or any kind of desirable performance, the company should be avoided for what it is.

On the other hand, thats just an opinion, right?

Why don;t you give the guys at surfingsports.com a call and talk to them. They have a massive selection of SUP's and can really give you good advice on boards. (805)962-SUPS (7877) store number and website http://surfingsports.com/blog.asp

Corran
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 06:18:17 AM by corran »

bigdom

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 08:20:36 AM »
the NSP is a solid but undistinguised board - fine for a beginner
but if you are ona budget thn a second hand board is a better
option - lots around especially longer boards as lots of people
move to shorter boards as their skilles develop and board design
moves on

the walden is an attempt to make a longboard style board
it has stepped rail which are an unproven experiment IMHO

my advice is to get an 11-12ft second hand from brands like starboard
jimmylewis, naish, c4 etc

Hoffenator

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 12:12:36 PM »
my advice is to get an 11-12ft second hand from brands like starboard
jimmylewis, naish, c4 etc

Sound advice, buy used and take the $$ saved and buy a paddle, wetsuit, leash, etc.  I was able to pick up a used JL 11er from a local Zoner at a very reasonable cost.  Watch the classifieds or check out local shops or online dealers for clearance or demo sales.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard