Author Topic: Shipping damage - What can we do as consumers?  (Read 3481 times)

sup.chino

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Shipping damage - What can we do as consumers?
« on: October 13, 2015, 06:19:15 PM »
So I'm searching for past threads on "shipping damage" and have found quite a few that have had the same experience I just had.

Quick backstory:  I bought a board, it was shipped with 5 different areas of damage, I had to pay $250 out of pocket to get it repaired, the shipping company is reimbursing me $50.

As a consumer, I had nothing to do with the damage and now I'm at a loss of $200.  What can I do now?  I want to wreak havoc with their Customer Service department but I don't think it's going to do anything.

Paddleboy

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Re: Shipping damage - What can we do as consumers?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2015, 06:31:03 PM »
chino,

I took delivery of a damaged board some weeks ago. Step 1: Don't let the board get off the truck/trailer. Unwrap it on the truck for sure. Step 2: make the driver/delivery dude unwrap it. Don't touch that thing. Step 3: Get on the truck and inspect it visually very closely before taking it off the truck. Step 4: if it is damaged, reject it on the spot.

If you do reject it, call the seller immediately and tell them to call their shipping rep and approve a return shipment from the freight company.

If you have taken delivery of the board and found damage after-the-fact, well, I think you're sort of hosed.

sup.chino

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2015, 06:47:34 PM »
We took all necessary precautions before taking it.  All claim forms were filled, we took pictures on our phones, and even had the shipping company workers take pictures on their own cameras.  It was clear and obvious that all damage was done by the shipping company.  The destination flight even received an email from the connecting flight saying they saw damage to the board.

All that and the claims department says they couldn't pay me back for the full amount. 

Paddleboy

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2015, 06:57:37 PM »
Chino,

Why did you repair it if you rejected the shipment? Maybe I'm just confused on the order of events. Sorry if I'm missing the sequence.

When I rejected my board it was shipped back to the freight company's hub, a claim was filed by the seller/shipper, it was looked at by an adjuster, and I was paid for the board and shipping costs. The seller got a thrashed board back, and I got money to buy another.

cnski

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2015, 08:43:20 PM »
If you're buying a brand new board from a top production board company you're less likely to get a damaged board. They do a pretty good job packaging. You're taking your chances if buying a used board from somebody. That's been my experience.

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2015, 09:59:45 AM »
A couple of questions.

Did you buy the board new?
Did you buy the board from a shop or manufacturer?
Was the shipment insured?

Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

OCD

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2015, 05:02:22 PM »
We took all necessary precautions before taking it.  All claim forms were filled, we took pictures on our phones, and even had the shipping company workers take pictures on their own cameras.  It was clear and obvious that all damage was done by the shipping company.  The destination flight even received an email from the connecting flight saying they saw damage to the board.

All that and the claims department says they couldn't pay me back for the full amount.

Make sure the board is fully insured upon shipping including the freight cost.  I ship goods for a living, I've had boards come in damaged and been fully reimbursed by National trucking Co's.  NEVER sign a BOL clear if board is damaged, if really bad take pictures or have them come out to facility. 

sup.chino

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2015, 06:09:44 PM »
Sorry for the confusion.  I took it from the shipping company after speaking with the company that I bought it from.  They said they'd help me out with the repair costs if the shipping company didn't reimburse me.

With that said, it was a very frustrating ordeal working with the shipping company's claim dept.  I got the repairs done and sent all forms and pics back to the claims dept.  It's been almost 4 months since they replied and just now said they'd only reimburse for $50 because we didn't fill out the waybill forms properly.

I just talked to the company that I bought the board from and they said they'd credit me for the $200 that I lost.  I'm really appreciative of them doing this for me but I'm more than pi**ed off at the shipping company for not owning up and paying me back for their mistakes.  I really want to go off and share with the world how terrible this shipping company is.  And I want to thank the guys that helped to pay me back.  That's a big relief that they're willing to help me out when they didn't have to.

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2015, 08:28:42 PM »
"I really want to go off and share with the world how terrible this shipping company is."

There are ways to do that, Yelp, Facebook, and 'small claims' just for starters.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 08:30:21 PM by Weasels wake »
It takes a quiver to do that.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2015, 10:27:38 PM »
Hey ...Chino,
F' the shipping company..
Get out on the water dude! You need to chill 8)
What kind of board is it?
Do you like the way it paddles?
You surf it?
Race board?
Family fun board?

Welcome to the zone......
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

ninja tuna

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2015, 04:58:50 AM »
When I had my Foote shipped from Hawaii to Florida via the airlines, they would not even go in the back to get it with out me signing the forms first. I do not remember the airline.  I was trying not to rip this guy out from over the counter as I was explaining to him that his form says it was received in good condition (i am paraphrasing the form). He could have cared less. I kept my cool because I did not want them sticking the forks through it as they went to get it.  But yeah, frustration levels were off the charts.

JonoUNC89

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2015, 07:14:51 AM »
I recently had a board shipped from Miami to NC. Had to go to the regional freight terminal to pick it up. I was very apprehensive about how my experience would be since I had never done this before. To my surprise everyone at the terminal was super nice and helpful. They were very receptive to my request of not signing until I could unpack and inspect the board. Several guys on the loading dock even helped me open the box and got rid of all the packing materials for me.

I guess the key points are:
  • Don't sign anything until after you can actually get your eyes/hands on the product.
  • If you must sign before, write under your signature that there might be possible unseen damage (I was instructed by the seller to do this - good advice).
  • If you're picking up at the freight terminal, it's good to have an employee there, to at least watch, as you open/inspect the product. Take pictures if there is damage and be prepared to deny acceptance.
  • Also, before you purchase the product, talk to the seller before the product goes out for shipping and decide on the course of action should damage occur during shipping.

Hindsight is 20-20 and I feel for sup.chino as this is frustrating.

But, I'd take TallDude's advice, go paddling and know that the post of your experience has probably helped someone else to avoid or at least be prepared for a situation like this down the line. Thanks for posting and sharing sup.chino.

Btw, I got my board (Allwave 9'10) from JimK (site sponsor here on the Zone). Great board, price and service - pleasant experience all the way around.

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2015, 05:29:30 PM »
The proper wording if you must sign prior to inspection is:

"Contents subject to inspection"

Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

sup.chino

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2015, 06:41:57 PM »
I'll be out in the water tomorrow!!  Been a stressful work week so this weekend will be extra good to my soul. 

8)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal