Author Topic: Sitting on knees while catching a wave  (Read 6633 times)

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Sitting on knees while catching a wave
« on: October 12, 2015, 11:55:07 PM »

Hi guys,

I asked this before, but I am sometimes surprised at some of the choices our brethren are making. I was out and this guy kept on catching waves sitting on his knees. He was on a big board, and caught the waves from the outside.
If it was only SUPs I would not worry but because this waves has 3 to 4 lines where waves pitch it worries me that someone would catch waves on their knees. In my mind sitting on your knees there is no way to control the board. You cannot turn the board until you are on your feet.

Anyways, how would you tackle a situation like this? Way back when I got out more I would just tell the person..now I dunno if I should worry at all.

SpaceCoastPaul

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Sitting on knees while catching a wave
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2015, 02:36:20 AM »
Does he keep to himself or is he blasting through others while on his knees? If the latter, I'd strike up a friendly conversation to break the ice, then ease into addressing your concerns with him.
8'8" x 31" Stu Sharpe WaveHog
10' x 32" Foote

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2015, 05:34:55 AM »
Maybe he has a physical issue..
I have no problem with anyone riding on their knees.

Paddle Surfed with one guy who comes down from the San Francisco area.
Dude paddles in on his knees then usually stands as he is taking off..

Have another brother with hip problems..been riding his long board on his knees for years now...

Yet another old timer with degenerative condition in his back and knees..now he sponges..

Why quit surfing when you keep going another way..
Ralph
Sup-position
(714) 899-3020 call, Text or Message

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2015, 06:36:49 AM »
I have seen many beginning stand up paddlers start off by trying to catch waves on their knees.  Usually these paddlers are just doing it on their own, and after a few sessions they catch on.  For the most part I think this is just where their comfort zone is and its just a baby step.  This is a very vulnerable position, with paddle in hand on take off (ask me how I know).  Hey, I wasn't always awesome. ;D

On the other hand, a small sim-sup with a short canoe paddle could be a hoot. 

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2015, 11:54:03 AM »
I catch them from knees and pop up from knees all the time.  I have seen proners catch and pop up to knees and stay on knees.  If they are on shortboards, they can do some turning. I think they do it to just relax on the wave.

I don't see a problem with knee pop ups if the coast is clear ahead of the board. There is some ability to control a SUP on knees, especially with the paddle, and do some turning and roll offs.  I have seen proners who are able to do some pretty impressive turns on knees on their shortboards. 

A couple of the wizened, old longboarders around Shark's were directly in front of me when I did  a knee pop up.  They were a little pie eyed seeing me come toward them, but I popped up and did a bottom turn away from them with space to spare. It was kind of fun "buzzing" them, especially since they take up so much wave real estate themselves on their long boards.

I wouldn't catch on knees or plan to stay on the waves on knees if it meant interfering with a proner's or SUP's ability to catch a good wave and ride it the regular way.

If somebody is in the regular line up, and is taking waves just to ride them on knees all the way, that's not OK.  I do it mainly on leftovers, white water, and empties.  It doesn't belong in the regular lineup.

In surfing, as in all things human, people tend to be dominated by convention, image and style.  I just learned with knee pop ups and haven't kooked out of it, yet, bad habit or no.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2015, 12:32:13 PM »
Does he keep to himself or is he blasting through others while on his knees? If the latter, I'd strike up a friendly conversation to break the ice, then ease into addressing your concerns with him.

If he kept to him self I would not care at all. Its a line up with SUP, longboarder, shot boarders and boogie boarders...in 3 to 4 sections..if you catch the wave from out side you'll go straight through...its a mess. Its been some time since I was out there so I don't feel I can tell people what to do.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2015, 01:10:07 PM »

You cannot turn the board until you are on your feet.

Maybe he's inventing a new sport by combining paddleboarding with kneeboarding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pdPxWQ-KFA

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2015, 01:46:11 PM »
knee-boarding is legit and fun--cool to paddle around with fins on, and one can get barrelled in small waves--i have a sweet balastar 5'10" which ive not ridden in years--certainly not since starting to sus 3 or 4 years ago, whatever it's been--time flies when youre aging!

still see some great knee riders out
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2015, 02:00:53 PM »
I can see it catching on. Paddling around on a super short knee paddleboard with a canoe length paddle and catching awesome waves with no worry of falling.

What would we call that? Kneel down paddleboarding? KDP? At least it doesn't spell a word. I hate the words SUP and SUS.

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2015, 02:08:32 PM »
While my youth was spent kneeboarding, there is no (expletive deleted) way my body would allow me to do this now.  It's way too painful, and it gives up on the leverage you get while standing.  I'm not here to disparage the practice but I'd be pulling cramps from my calves for the entire session. As long as I can walk, i'll want to be stand-up paddle surfing and have no desire to spend any time on my knees.  I paddle faster standing up (which is not fast at all) and am way more likely to make it through the soup standing than I am on my knees.

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2015, 04:03:03 PM »
i have seen one or 2 guys do it. They were on pretty short boards. they would take of on their knees  then pop up.   I think it must have been because their boards were so short that it might have been hard to standup all the time.  as for me  Hell since one of you guys said use the paddle  as apple to help you stand up I have been doing that  much  less falls while getting to my  feet    but no way could I paddle  on my knees and pop up while taking off.
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2015, 04:39:21 PM »
Considering the guy is on a 11+ft tanker I am not sure if it qualifies.

FeralInBaja

• What?
  • Rincon Status
  • Beginner's mind... works for me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2015, 04:41:10 PM »
I knee-popped once or twice the second or third day just to see how the board surfed (for those not following the adventures, I still wasn't paddling well, cause of learning on a 6' 10" 88 ltr. board). But this thread got me on memory lane. I was confusing 2 knee-boarders, one I barely knew, but remember his name, Lew. Got eaten in Monterey in the late '70's or early '80's and the other one, I surfed with a bunch, can't pull up his name... killed in Mex. in the 90's... Aggghh. I've been out of the water, sick as a dog for more than 2 weeks. Waves were perfect (beachbreak standards, possible 7-10 second rides) this morning. Today first day in 2 weeks haven't up-chucked once. Averaging 3-5 daily. Gonna go for "To hell with it!" session tomorrow if the waves are still good, sick or not. Not getting better anyway. 3 bottles of cough syrup later for the 2 weeks. O.K. If that's not hijacking a thread, I don't know what is... Oh yeah, my adorable Mexican wife, when hearing the word: "kneeboarder" said: "Neighbor?" No. "kneeboarder." Then: "Newborn?"  She's seriously an angel... I'm a lucky dog.
Feral
8' 4" S3 Simsup 134 ltr.
6' 10" 88 ltr. Solid Surf Quad

Blue Planet Surf
FeatherLight Carbon Paddle!
Gifted from Rob- Eternal Aloha to you Rob.
Isle Pro Carbon Paddle
Surfercook Special ThankYou!!!

CamOne Infinity and GoPro (Sadly destroyed in Big Beachbreak)
Thank you Wetstuff and NoSaltSuper

newton333

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2015, 12:40:18 PM »
knee paddling is frowned on. lay down or stand up.

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2015, 12:59:35 PM »
knee paddling is frowned on. lay down or stand up.

Well I don't care how things look. I am just worried that when he catches a wave, he cant control the board until he is on his feet so it puts other water users in danger. Back in the day I would have told him, but I dunno don't feel like it is my spot since I have not been going much the past few years.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal