Author Topic: PPG  (Read 22640 times)

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: PPG
« Reply #45 on: October 13, 2015, 06:08:38 PM »
Stoney, you need to do this next year, you would love it.

Regarding the distances of the courses... I talked to AV last night and it was a conscious decision to make the distance race a little bit shorter. The technical race was lengthened a little bit due to buoy placements because of the high surf. The website needed more details about the courses being subject to change due to conditions. Also, they had planned on running the men's technical semi-finals on Saturday but they were pushed to Sunday, which factored into the distance race being shorter, since a lot of the pros had to race distance, semi-finals and finals.

Saturday's race was very tough to go an extra mile and a half, due to the heat and a lot of people not bringing water, thinking it was only 3 miles.

FloridaWindSUP

• Sunset Status
  • Marine Biologist, Riviera Paddlesurf Ambassador
    • View Profile
    • James' Blog
« Reply #46 on: October 13, 2015, 06:54:59 PM »
Does anybody know if Connor Baxter used the same 12'6 board in the "distance" race that he used in the technical race? If so I reckon it says something interesting about how, at least in some circumstances, a 12'6 can be competitive with 14s.
14x23 Riviera RP
14x27.25 Fanatic Falcon
11'8 Exocet WindSUP
10'4 Angulo WindSUP
...and a bunch of windsurf stuff

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: October 13, 2015, 07:16:41 PM »
Does anybody know if Connor Baxter used the same 12'6 board in the "distance" race that he used in the technical race? If so I reckon it says something interesting about how, at least in some circumstances, a 12'6 can be competitive with 14s.

I'm pretty sure he used a 14 in the distance. I didn't even know he used a 12'6 in the technical but I did hear some guys were going to go that route. I would find it hard to believe he beat Danny, Travis, etc if he was on a 12'6.

digger71

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: October 13, 2015, 07:20:46 PM »
This might be my favorite picture of the event.  From SUP Racer

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #49 on: October 13, 2015, 07:25:16 PM »
So many outstanding pics and videos. I have to say that I think this took the sport to a new level. We are obviously the choir singing to the choir but I was very impressed by what I saw and everyone I've shown it to has said WTF?...in a good way as in that's bad....or dats phat...otherwise known as pretty cool.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: October 13, 2015, 07:29:05 PM »
Love Stony's comment that it was like the Wide World of Sports.  Yeah like in the beginning of that WWS series where they show the agony of defeat.  Anyway I thought this video was pretty damn good of the event.  Check out Conner and Danny's finish at 2:40 to 2:48.  Looked like just as much mayhem a brutal collisions as Salt Creek.  Maybe less size but the bowling alley was there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=192&v=LmPDa1iGKu0

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: October 13, 2015, 08:02:58 PM »
I didn't have my camera settings right, so sorry for that. Here's the dynamic duo at the PPG.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: October 13, 2015, 09:21:42 PM »
I want to see a pic of Pono Bill charging into that shorebreak and then back in ... onto the beach.  That's cold, I know but he's my pal and what are friends for?

Anyone have  a pic of our brave warrior?

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 14, 2015, 08:48:11 AM »
Check out Conner and Danny's finish at 2:40 to 2:48.

That was one of the most impressive things of the event. Conner and Danny were side by side coming into the beach, Conner turns it on and left Danny in his wake. I didn't know it was possible to accelerate that quickly on a SUP.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #54 on: October 14, 2015, 09:06:55 AM »
Check out Conner and Danny's finish at 2:40 to 2:48.

That was one of the most impressive things of the event. Conner and Danny were side by side coming into the beach, Conner turns it on and left Danny in his wake. I didn't know it was possible to accelerate that quickly on a SUP.

I thought the same thing...shocking to see Connor just leap ahead.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 14, 2015, 10:48:21 AM »
Stoney, you need to do this next year, you would love it.

Regarding the distances of the courses... I talked to AV last night and it was a conscious decision to make the distance race a little bit shorter. The technical race was lengthened a little bit due to buoy placements because of the high surf. The website needed more details about the courses being subject to change due to conditions. Also, they had planned on running the men's technical semi-finals on Saturday but they were pushed to Sunday, which factored into the distance race being shorter, since a lot of the pros had to race distance, semi-finals and finals.

Saturday's race was very tough to go an extra mile and a half, due to the heat and a lot of people not bringing water, thinking it was only 3 miles.

Yeah, it was funny because I didn't look at my GPS until after it was over, but as the technical race was going on, a guy I was pacing with and I commented to each other that this had to be the longest 3mi we ever paddled.  Turns out we were right.  You're right Kaya--I didn't bring any water thinking it was only gonna be so short, but not like that made any difference in my performance.

I'm not overly bugged by the distance race being shorter either even though I think it would have helped me a bit.  If I've got one thing going for me, it's endurance.  But understandable given that the pros had a full schedule of semis on Sunday.  Took long enough to clear the course as it was.
Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5
Ke Nalu Mana, Konihi, Maliko

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 14, 2015, 10:55:40 AM »
I want to see a pic of Pono Bill charging into that shorebreak and then back in ... onto the beach.  That's cold, I know but he's my pal and what are friends for?

Anyone have  a pic of our brave warrior?

Here's the best I could find.  Pono is in the orange hat.  I'm right in front of him in both pics--pushing up to a stand in first pic and then he's clearly drafting off me in the second.  The fact that he would choose to draft off me is causing me to rethink my opinion of him.  He always struck me as rather smart.

You'll notice we both went up to the west end of the beach, avoiding the big shorebreak for the kiddie pool waves
Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5
Ke Nalu Mana, Konihi, Maliko

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: October 14, 2015, 11:50:17 AM »
Well those pics looked like a much tamer moment than all the mayhem shown in the video.   

digger71

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: October 14, 2015, 12:38:42 PM »
Well Headmount you may need to revisit your definition of "charging", but here you go :)  I happened to be on the beach right where PB came in - a bit north of the finish so slightly less carnage.  The announcers gave him a nice mention as he finished

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: October 14, 2015, 05:32:29 PM »
He was the smartest one there, getting off his board in deep water and having someone else cary it out without ramming it into the rocks.  This won't be good fuel to give him shit about.  I wanted a faceplant or something equally dramatic.  God the video looked incredible.  This appears lakelike. 

Oh well.  We'll get to see him soon enough out in the surf.   He'll be laughing especially hard when he sees me get my board pushed back in my face going through a set.  Half the fun is cracking up at each other.  Covesurfer too.  He'll be hashtagging billzbackwithhis shoppingcart

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal