Author Topic: PPG  (Read 22639 times)

blackeye

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: PPG
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2015, 06:26:48 PM »
...I came to the event in the physical shape of your typical attorney with a head cold who had just worked two 80-hour work weeks in a row.  My expectations for my performance could not have been lower and I still did worse than I ever thought possible.

My heart rate monitor went off almost immediately ...  Damn head cold and lack of training.

...my favorite part was the beautiful ladies on their 12'6"s passing me like I was at anchor.  Young Alianna (much too young for me to be considering a beautiful lady--I’m no sicko), was the first female to pass me just as I finished the first lap.  She is fast.  Go girl!

... couch in San Clemente with a beer in my hand.

...I vote that everyone needs to do this race next year.

Loved this review! My kind of racer/cruiser. Reminds me of when I took up running as an asthmatic accountant. The pregnant woman in my training group got faster and faster as she became more and more pregnant. She sailed by me in the race.

starman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2015, 06:56:19 PM »
I really think that its kind of odd for West Marine to be the main sponsor

It made perfect sense to me for West Marine to be a sponsor. They sell all kinds of stuff useful for SUP owners. Repair supplies, lines, stainless screws, PFD's as well as boards and paddles. Plus lots of stuff for my trailer. One doesn't need to own a yacht to visit West Marine.

As far as my suggestion for more then one inside buoy to eliminate the circus at the first inside turn, I'm saying it may make for a better race if they offer more then one buoy to round so that the 20 pro's on that one wave have options. The pileup was entertaining on TV but really screwed over a lot of the paddlers. Danny Ching being one example.

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2015, 07:18:36 PM »
There definitely is a limit to how many can round a buoy in  the surf, it may be 3 or 5, but it is not 10. The way the swells lined up, there was often 8 to 12 on the same wave headed towards the buoy, plus the current moved some of them past so they had to head up into the others on the same wave. When 10 are on the same wave to round a buoy, only 1 or 2 lucky ones will make it around unscated, and having a lot of talent and skill won't keep you from being taken out. Just ask Danny or Kai. 

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2015, 09:33:25 PM »
I'm curious, though: I raced the 3 mile open technical on Saturday and it seemed quite a bit longer than 3 miles.  Based on my typical 3 mile training time and the fact that they moved all buoys farther out due to the surf conditions I believe this to be the case.  Did any of you have a GPS while competing in this race actually measure the distance?

Someone GPS'd it at 4.4 miles.

When 10 are on the same wave to round a buoy, only 1 or 2 lucky ones will make it around unscated, and having a lot of talent and skill won't keep you from being taken out. Just ask Danny or Kai. 

I think this is what makes surf racing exciting, there's an element of a lucky or bad break mixed in with the talent.  There's more to what went on in the finals. Kai was issued a 1 minute unsportsmanlike penalty. Danny's board that had buckled on Saturday was repaired but buckled again after that first lap in the finals so he basically paddled the last 2 laps with a buckled board. I personally like that it's not just pure talent and skill, although Moe had a flawless race and was in the right place at the right time that entire final. I would have liked to see them set the bigger buoys inside though (the lifeguards tried but couldn't set them so they would stay), which would have helped a little bit with the pile-ups.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2015, 10:17:49 PM »
...I came to the event in the physical shape of your typical attorney with a head cold who had just worked two 80-hour work weeks in a row.  My expectations for my performance could not have been lower and I still did worse than I ever thought possible.

My heart rate monitor went off almost immediately ...  Damn head cold and lack of training.

...my favorite part was the beautiful ladies on their 12'6"s passing me like I was at anchor.  Young Alianna (much too young for me to be considering a beautiful lady--I’m no sicko), was the first female to pass me just as I finished the first lap.  She is fast.  Go girl!

... couch in San Clemente with a beer in my hand.

...I vote that everyone needs to do this race next year.

Loved this review! My kind of racer/cruiser. Reminds me of when I took up running as an asthmatic accountant. The pregnant woman in my training group got faster and faster as she became more and more pregnant. She sailed by me in the race.
I hate that.  Two against one is never fair.

NEplay

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2015, 05:56:51 AM »
I have a few questions then...

1-What was the nature of Kai's unsportsmanlike penalty and is this, combined with last years incident with Connor, indicating a pattern of boorishness on the the young man's part. Also something about his interviews just seem to stoked, to much of the usual "grateful", "blessed", "we are all friends". Sometimes I want the truth. For example "look at my life, tasty waves, warm breezes, beautiful women-better luck next time suckers."

2-Doesn't Danny Ching own 404? He only has one board? Needs an emergency repair to be rideable? That cannot be.
New England Is My Playground

digger71

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2015, 06:10:12 AM »
In the interviews Danny said he would ride a 404 production board after buckling his - said he trains on the production anyway.  Guess he only had 1 custom board made for him to use at PPG.  Makes sense.

Not sure how many others it happened to, but Chuck Glynn also buckled his board fairly early in the Tech race final.

With that said, Danny has now had boards break in last year's BOP, this year's M2O, and now the PPG.  Exceptional conditions and perhaps lightweight custom boards, but it doesn't reflect well on the brand.

NEplay

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2015, 06:24:31 AM »
Thank Da Digg for the clarification. I guess that makes sense, Danny breaks his custom then rides a production and breaks that one? . My friend also broke her 404 last year at Salt Creek but I think we can assume that was the conditions. They are beautiful boards at least the couple versions of hers I have seen first hand.

It would be interesting to find out what boards are holding up and performing at the highest levels.

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2015, 06:32:25 AM »

1-What was the nature of Kai's unsportsmanlike penalty and is this, combined with last years incident with Connor, indicating a pattern of boorishness on the the young man's part. Also something about his interviews just seem to stoked, to much of the usual "grateful", "blessed", "we are all friends". Sometimes I want the truth. For example "look at my life, tasty waves, warm breezes, beautiful women-better luck next time suckers."

2-Doesn't Danny Ching own 404? He only has one board? Needs an emergency repair to be rideable? That cannot be.

The incident with Kai happened at a buoy turn and it was between him and Connor again. I think there may be more details being released, at least around the penalty, but it affected others too.

Regarding Danny's board, yes he only had one made specifically for PPG. I also heard that he switched to a production version but I think he went back to that board for the technical final and it was buckled again. I don't think it reflects poorly on 404, I think people have to understand that his boards are basically disposable. He can make a board with the intention of only using it for one race so he makes them as light as possible.  BOP last year, M2O this year and PPG just happened to have some sizable surf. I saw a few buckled boards at PPG this year.

Chilly

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2015, 06:37:27 AM »
This is what I think so don’t take it as fact. Kai kicked the nose of Connors board around the 11 minute mark of the final technical race. Connor went down. You can see it on the video.

The race was probably the most exciting races I have ever watched and Antony Vela did an excellent job as race director, but I would like to see a smaller field in the finals next year because I don’t like see an athlete being taking out by other athletes. On the other hand, being taking out by a wave is fun to watch.
NSP 2016 12'6 Surf Race Pro

SUP CPA

• Waikiki Status
  • Laguna Niguel, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2015, 06:46:08 AM »

The incident with Kai happened at a buoy turn and it was between him and Connor again. I think there may be more details being released, at least around the penalty, but it affected others too.

Regarding Danny's board, yes he only had one made specifically for PPG. I also heard that he switched to a production version but I think he went back to that board for the technical final and it was buckled again. I don't think it reflects poorly on 404, I think people have to understand that his boards are basically disposable. He can make a board with the intention of only using it for one race so he makes them as light as possible.  BOP last year, M2O this year and PPG just happened to have some sizable surf. I saw a few buckled boards at PPG this year.

I got a close look at Danny's broken board at the 2014 BOP and I was astounded at how lightly glassed it was.  It looked like a chunk of foam wrapped in paper.

NEplay

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2015, 07:15:23 AM »
Just watched the 11 minute infraction of Kai's. What incredible balance to be able to backward, reverse kick the nose of a competitors board out of the way and keep on truckin'. Not calling it blatant but he should have just kept his feet on his own board and he must have known it was Connors nose.

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2015, 09:01:28 AM »
^ where do you catch that?

digger71

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2015, 09:48:37 AM »
^ where do you catch that?

Should be here http://ppg.supthemag.com/live/ about halfway through.

And that incident at the 11 min mark looked like nothing to me.  Connor got his board between Kai's legs and Kai kicked it out of there.  Connor seems to have a habit of getting on the tail and swinging the nose of his board around - maybe there is a rule against what Kai did, but looked pretty harmless
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 09:51:29 AM by digger71 »

NEplay

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2015, 09:50:31 AM »
11th minute of the Men's technical final Yugi

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal