Author Topic: Interesting article: Tower Paddle Boards 5 hour workday  (Read 3152 times)

ford

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Interesting article: Tower Paddle Boards 5 hour workday
« on: October 10, 2015, 07:17:40 AM »
http://www.inc.com/leigh-buchanan/stephan-aarstol-why-this-company-thrives-on-5-hour-workday.html

(the first time I went to the article it let me read it without signing up for an account. The second time it did not) Sorry if it won't let you read the article without putting in information.

I'll summarize.

They switched to a regular schedule of 8-1pm. Found they are getting the same amount of work done. Employees are staying very focused during the shorter span. Less checking of email and websites. More work getting done. It gives the employees more time to spend with family or pursue other interests. A way to raise pay without affecting the bottom line. When there is stuff that has to get done they do stay later at times.

Now Tower only has 9 full time employees, which probably makes it easier. They also have an open vacation policy. Their rule is don't abuse it, but when you need it, take it. 

I think it would make sense for a lot of companies. There are certain occupations where it might not work. I honestly believe it would also be good for kids attending school. The difference year to year in attention during my morning classes compared to afternoon classes is noticeable and consistent.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 07:23:42 AM by ford »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
Re: Interesting article: Tower Paddle Boards 5 hour workday
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2015, 08:26:38 AM »
Now Tower only has 9 full time employees, which probably makes it easier

They need 4.  Maybe 3. 

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2015, 09:40:06 AM »
... or 12 part time employees.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2015, 01:30:49 PM »
I like that they're trying that.  It makes sense in a lot of ways, similarly to other types of flexible work arrangements.  Much better than the old, "If you don't show up on Saturday, don't bother coming in on Sunday".  I also liked that the Tower guy used to post here quite a bit, and didn't shy away from discussions. 

It reminds me of a company I worked for, in reverse.  There, working "billable hours" was king.  Nobody seemed to care that many of our contracts were not hourly, so the hours weren't really billable, and the more time you spent, the less profit.  The shining example was a guy who always worked the most hours. In his project report, he said he saw a code problem on our project on Friday evening, so came in and worked 20 or 30 hours on the weekend preparing a code appeal to resolve it.  Everyone praised him.  I asked if he'd read the next line in the code that exempted our project from that code requirement.  "Oops".  Working long hours can make you stupid.  At work, I see it all the time with large engineering firms, law firms, etc.  where the underlings doing the work are focused on racking up hours, and the contracts with clients (esp. government) give the managers no incentive to provide efficient work. 
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 01:40:49 PM by pdxmike »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2015, 03:17:32 PM »
"It's about trying to remove inefficiencies, which in turn makes what you are doing more efficient."

You see, by removing the less efficient time you are left with more efficient time.  That is to say, efficiency is more efficient than inefficiency. 

"For example, an employee with a salary of $40,000 who worked 2,000 hours (50 40-hour weeks) earned $20 an hour. Reduce the number of hours to 1,250, add $8,000 in profit-sharing, and he's making $38 an hour. "

For even greater efficiency consider reducing the work day to 1 hour .  Employees would make $160.00 an hour and would barely have any time at all for personal emails and Facebook. 

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2015, 03:28:50 PM »
"For example, an employee with a salary of $40,000 who worked 2,000 hours (50 40-hour weeks) earned $20 an hour. Reduce the number of hours to 1,250, add $8,000 in profit-sharing, and he's making $38 an hour. "

For even greater efficiency consider reducing the work day to 1 hour .  Employees would make $160.00 an hour and would barely have any time at all for personal emails and Facebook.
Amazon already does that, just without bumping the pay up.  Fortunately, they're addressing the high pressure/overworking issue in response to criticism:  http://www.theonion.com/article/jeff-bezos-assures-amazon-employees-hr-working-100-51121

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2015, 03:16:43 AM »
I interrupted my 3 productive work hours to read that.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal