Author Topic: Half the Planet's Coral is Already Gone  (Read 5079 times)

SCruzSUPr

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Half the Planet's Coral is Already Gone
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 01:20:25 PM »
get out there while the gettin' is good.  We'll have stories to tell the grandkids, if we live that long  8) 8) 8)
10' x 32"        Bill Foote  Triton
9'5" x 31"       Sunova Speeed
11'2" x 32"     Bill Foote 'Geezer Sled'

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 01:40:02 PM »
But the good news is that we are eating all the fish in the sea so it soon won't matter.

Some future intelligence millions of years hence will look back at the fossil record and be trying to figure out what it was that caused such massive extinctions over such a short time. I'm afraid we (mankind) are simply too greedy for anything to ever really be done and that eventually we too will be a failed species.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 07:09:36 PM »
If we kill the oceans, we die. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

SuppaTime

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015, 10:16:09 PM »
Yeah, its pretty sad to see. The change over the last 12 months here on Maui is very noticeable on the south and west sides when paddling out and in the line up. Used to be colorful coral everywhere and now it is predominately stark white. It can recover but probably not in our lifetime.
Slippahs:
Locals size 13
Reefs size 13
None size 13

addapost

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2015, 03:25:10 AM »
When I opened the top link, the pop-up ads on the Washington Post article were from Shell Oil. Not kidding
Bunch of old shit

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2015, 04:02:03 AM »
This makes me very sad. I can't think of any ecosystem more beautiful than a coral reef.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2015, 04:40:33 AM »
the piles and piles of dead, bleached coral remind me of the pictures of bones left by pol pot and other genocidal maniacs

i call them boneyards

in this case we are, collectively, the genocidal maniacs

in theory we control our democracy, and we can effect proper collective behavior via the government we elect

two problems:

Our "democracy" has evolved into a political system bought by the highest bidder, often near-term-profit-focused corporate entities--entities that focus and carefully invest in their political interests.

Yet our citizenry is apathetic and totally disinvested.  We've become a nation which prioritizes religious consumerism (the new opiate of the masses)where people are more concerned with getting their next ipad, nikes, or leased car--where half of our citizens can't name our vice-president, let alone their congressman, and could give a shit.

painful to see things as they are evolving--and the resulting boneyards

Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

johnysmoke

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2015, 04:55:14 AM »
Dead coral and more plastic floating around than we can fathom, pretty disgusting on our part.
Back when I was sea kayak guiding in Patagonia we had to camp overnight on a beach with about two or three feet of plastic trash strewn about. Something about the currents converging and the plastic all washing up right there, or maybe a salmon farm had been out front and just dumped everything into the water when it closed.
The only thing I find heartening is that hopefully soon renewable energy will be as cost effective as the heavily subsidized fossil fuels. http://www.engadget.com/2015/10/06/clean-energy-costs-drop/
SIC F14
Bark Eliminator
C4 Beachboy

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2015, 06:26:08 AM »
In the meantime (and I hope only in the short run) as the price of oil declines, plastic becomes a cheaper and therefore a more attractive packaging solution. 

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2015, 07:16:09 AM »
likely no coincidence (courtesy of opec and int'l oil companies) that crude and derived petroleum products now trade at a price which renders alternative (greener) technologies diseconomic

scarcity of crude will ultimately price petroleum out of the picture, but it could get pretty hot on this here planet by that time

unless, of course the connection between warming and our continual  pumping of carbon and other chemicals into our atmosphere proves to be an invention of the world's scientists.....

that would prove me a sucker--i buy the science
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2015, 07:18:11 AM »
Take the humans away and look what happens

"It's very likely that wildlife numbers at Chernobyl are much higher than they were before the accident," says Jim Smith of the University of Portsmouth in the UK. "This doesn't mean radiation is good for wildlife, just that the effects of human habitation, including hunting, farming, and forestry, are a lot worse."

Chernobyl's Exclusion Zone Is Now a Thriving Wildlife Habitat
https://news.vice.com/article/chernobyls-exclusion-zone-is-now-a-thriving-wildlife-habitat

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2015, 08:07:28 AM »
Collectively we are an inane race. The things we fear are meaningless and the things we dont are horrific.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2015, 09:48:23 AM »
THERE HAS GOT TO BE HOPE!  I know that  myself and my kids have made changes. I think that  many people have. I think that the folks that are not as lucky as we are that have to think more about survival don't care as much  but I could be wrong.  It also seems like the more insulated you are  the less  you seem to care with exceptions.  Still though there has to be hope.
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2015, 09:49:50 AM »
Insane for sure, kind of why I'm starting to think we won't be around as a species all that much longer. Strange to think of that but unless we can somehow spread beyond this little ball we are done at some point. We've reached the point where our technology can kill us and unfortunately we are too divided and greedy to do what will be necessary to avoid it. Hell there's enough crazies on the planet that we might do it on purpose. At the very least I'd expect a serious day of reckoning that will see a massive decline in population. No idea what it will be or more likely what multiple things it will be but its coming. I can only hope that its beyond the lifespans of those I love.

On the climate front, regardless of what we do it will change. Not arguing the science of climate change but relatively rapid fluctuations in temp have happened before and will again and for all we know anthropogenic climate change may be holding off the start of the next ice age. We're actually overdue according to the science. As bad as all the effects of a warming climate are, rising oceans, etc... is it worse than a mile of ice over a large swath of currently inhabited and productive planet? Increasing temps and CO2 are increasing the amount of arable land and likely crop yeilds, needed with an expanding population. An ice age would see desertification of much of what isn't covered in ice. A rapidly expanding population being forced into a smaller and smaller area with less land available for food cultivation....pretty sure big wars have started for far less.

I don't think any of this is good and I wish humanity could learn to be sustainable and take better care of our home but when I think about what we are like....I don't see it happening.
My take on carbon based products is that we have to stop using them simply because they are poisoning everything. Replacement of what we have come to expect (good living done cheap) seems impossible though. Even if we can stop just burning the stuff can we really replace all the rest with something else?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 09:57:41 AM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal