Author Topic: Turning the corner on a hot summer  (Read 1741 times)

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Turning the corner on a hot summer
« on: October 07, 2015, 01:34:16 AM »
Last week we did a downwinder on the south side that was spectacular and followed with another attempt the next day.  That day we paddled right into a 3-4 mile bubble of no wind and sticky current.  I had felt a little weird in the gut that second morning but combined with the rough ending, I got crushed on what is only our 7 mile run.  Made it to the beach but heat really started to weigh in on my neck and head.  Barely could drive home.  And it took me four days before I felt right again. 

Of course this wasn't the first time for this.  I've had several serious bouts with heat in light or no wind conditions.  But this time it seemed like I'd done everything right.  I'd done electrolytes in the morning and sipped my camel all the way yet there was that distinct feeling of my stomach flipping and a quick downhill slide from there.  Frankly the last couple days left me feeling somewhat disturbed and yes fearful about my physical state.  So I rested.

Today we had a true north wind that really brought the temps down from what they've been all summer.  I finally figured it was time to get the monkey off my back.  Conditions were remarkable and we ended up doing the full 10 mile run that kept getting better as we went.  I felt weak but a great group conciousness powered me along and was feeling fantastic at the finish.  Thanks Covesurfer for shadowing me for first half.  That got my engine in gear.  This evening it's positively cold up here in Kula and I'm very stoked again.

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Turning the corner on a hot summer
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 02:00:16 AM »
Yeah man. Today's run was positively all time. And, for me, unexpectedly so.

HM, you were like a little kid on Christmas today. I could tell how excited you were looking at the wind on the way up. You knew it was going to be good. I was expecting more of a struggle run - but it was anything but. I only wish I'd remembered to wear my Garmin. The last few miles were absolutely off the charts, huge rollers, huge wind and everything generally running the right direction.

You looked like you were feeling good out there. Maybe we'll get to do that again - I hope it's really soon.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 04:39:32 AM »
This getting old stuff really sucks. Glad to hear you're feeling better and getting some. Come on out east.....you'll cool off quick.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 05:04:51 AM »
HM, I know the feeling of being cooked with no wind. We get it here in Hong Kong in the summer, and it can just drain you, and I too have got to shore and hardly been able to lift my board out of the water without feeling lightheaded and wobbly. It's amazing how when I went to Scotland in the middle summer which is like winter here in HK how good I suddenly felt paddling without feeling the effect of heat!
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 02:49:49 PM »
My Mrs makes me go to the likes of Tenerife every year for hols....it takes me a couple of weeks to recover..... I hate heat and can't function. And I burn fast!

I see countless vids of folk with just shorts and t shirts....sometimes I am very jealous as warm water must be great.... but then I remember just how draining heat is  to me and how I can only last an hour or two in strong sun....and that is with full sun protection on  ;)

Out in my 5/4 mm wettie tomorrow ....and it ain't cold here yet.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 02:55:20 PM by coldsup »

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2015, 03:46:04 PM »
Heatstroke is no joke, can often be fatal.

In Pleasanton, in relatively dry heat in the low 100's, I'll see people jogging and cycling, crazy.

I'll also see guys collapsed under trees at the side of the road on their bicycles.

If temps go over low 90's, it really is not indicated to do any type of strenuous exercise, especially if it is also humid.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 02:11:22 AM »
Heatstroke is no joke, can often be fatal.

In Pleasanton, in relatively dry heat in the low 100's, I'll see people jogging and cycling, crazy.

I'll also see guys collapsed under trees at the side of the road on their bicycles.

If temps go over low 90's, it really is not indicated to do any type of strenuous exercise, especially if it is also humid.
That's what we had here for four months.  Over 90 and humid.  Now we're turned the corner.  Even did a ten mile today with very light wind and no problem.  The 80s can handle.  90s no.  I forgot that in my jones for a good downwind run and paid.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal