Author Topic: SimSUP lovers what do you ride on good waves?  (Read 14837 times)

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: SimSUP lovers what do you ride on good waves?
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2015, 05:41:49 PM »
I recently picked up a B.Foote 10' Triton and have been surfing that in everything.

Thanks, I saw your review of the Triton, very nice.  My first board was B Foote, interesting how life comes full circle.

I'd love to demo one, anybody know any options in Santa Cruz or SF?

Covewater in Santa Cruz has the SIM boards L41 for rent.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2015, 07:56:12 PM »
I recently picked up a B.Foote 10' Triton and have been surfing that in everything.

Thanks, I saw your review of the Triton, very nice.  My first board was B Foote, interesting how life comes full circle.

Thanks SUPcheat.  I'm hoping to demo a B Foote.  I saw you at sharks a couple weeks ago on a Fanatic, where did get it and do you know if they have demos?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 07:58:05 PM by clay »
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2015, 08:10:03 PM »

Thanks SUPcheat.  I'm hoping to demo a B Foote.  I saw you at sharks a couple weeks ago on a Fanatic, where did get it and do you know if they have demos?

My Prowave was a local sale off craigslist.  I don't know who has them to demo in Santa Cruz, but you can try mine if you hail me when you are out there and I can baby sit your board, or kook out on it trying to use it.

My neighbor got his Prowave from a shop in Sausalito.  I don't know which shop, by they might have Allwave and Prowave to demo.  You might just look up the surf shops in Sausalito and ask around.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 08:39:06 PM by SUPcheat »
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

andygere

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Waveyarder Hollow Wood SUP build
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2015, 08:29:08 AM »
I ride my SIMSUP S2 8-0 x 30 1/4 in everything up to overhead surf in Santa Cruz.  If it gets much bigger than 1x overhead, I'm probably at work, coaching a Little League game or recovering from my latest injury, or at least that's how it seems.  The S2 is very forgiving even in windy, choppy and backwashy conditions, but it did take a little while to get it dialed in for the sloppier days.  I found that using a slightly shorter paddle on chunkadelic days is a big help.

My next board will likely be an ST with similar dimensions.

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2015, 05:28:15 PM »
  I found that using a slightly shorter paddle on chunkadelic days is a big help.

Great word Andy. I'll add it to the list that includes wibly and wonky.

anonsurfer

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2015, 06:06:55 PM »
So I am wondering what other SUP is out there that you love to ride on good waves?

Infinity Blurr.    It's also lots of fun in smaller conditions. 
Home Break: Doheny
Tic Tac v3 (Hoglet): 6' 6" x 23" x 3.6" x 67L
Omni: 6' 9" x 23" x 3.75" x 68L
Tic Tac (OG): 7' 0" x 22.75" x 3.5" x 70L
In The Pink (Incoming): 8' 0" x 22.9" x 3.25" x 70L

Blackproject Surge S77 (Soft Flex Shaft, T-Grip, +0" OH)

supthecreek

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2015, 07:32:34 PM »
Since you are wondering....
I don't have a SIMSUP, but I do surf a non traditional shape, that may be of interest to you.

My 8'10 Sunova Speeed completely blows my mind how good it is.... in all sizes and conditions.
I have sold my surf quiver off, because I don't want to ride anything else.

You mentioned that you struggle on 8'8 x 32 at 140 L, but you want a shortboard ride.... that's a pretty tall order.
The 9'6 Prowave is a very capable board, it is great in all size surf and is fairly stable, but if you go smaller, I feel it may be too tippy for you.

I got a Sunova 9'5 x 31.5  at 160 liters Speeed for winter use.
I used it two days in Rhode Island this week for Hurricane Joaquin waves.... I got to test it on one seriously big set wave on Monday, at least 2 x OH , and the 9'5 was rock solid.
It carves such nice lines and carries speed effortlessly. I was extremely confident in the bigger surf on this board, it's light, agile and well built.
It is SUPER stable and yet, shares all the great attributes of my 8'10.... all that said, I would have preferred to be on my 8'10, but I was the only SUP out with a LOT of surfers, and I didn't want to be falling over in the middle of a crowd.

No pics of the 9'5 in action, but here's a pic I took that day to show the average waves coming through.

lopezwill

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2015, 08:21:00 PM »

C'MON SUPTHECREEK…WHERE'S THAT "REVIEW" ON THE SUNOVA 9'5"  ?? 

SSHH -EEE -SSHH ;)

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2015, 04:54:30 AM »
creek--you answered my question at the end of your post

in an ideal world, with bigger waves such as you had this week, you would have been on your 8'10"

it will be interesting to see if the 8'10" emerges as winter board, when the crowds thin out, even for the bigger waves

betcha you'll be pulling the 8'10" out more often this winter than you think now

cant buy a speed til i see how that plays out!, and i spend a bit more time on yours!

Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2015, 09:19:54 AM »
Thanks for all the great responses, I really appreciate it!

Supcheat thanks for the offer, that size prowave is small for my needs.

Supthecreek - dang now my decision just became harder.  Years ago I read something on Berger's ideas for building boards for bigger guys and what he said resonated with me.  Although I had a firewire dominator and aadvance and didn't like either one, felt slow and like there was 10 pounds of kelp wrapped around my leash.  So I am concerned that it's something in the firewire build and Sunova might have some of the same? 

Also I noticed on the prowave you moved your back foot from rail to rail, do you feel the need to do that on the speeed?

I dig your reviews - very helpful!

supthecreek

« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2015, 08:28:27 PM »
Thanks clay... sorry for the slow response.... I have been on the road a lot, and missing lots of posts.
In a word.... yes. I like my foot as close to the rail as possible for a good carving turn..... plus I move all over every board, so it is just sort of my MO.
I think on many SUPs, you are going to get the best performance from moving your back foot, because SUPs generally have wider tails than surfboards.

Eastie.... yeah, I can use the 8'10 in pretty much all conditions, I just was taking it easy and getting to know the 9'5... kind of putting it through its pace's to see what it is like.
My best move would be to drop the extra 20 lbs.... but I have been eating on the move for 6 weeks..... not the best scenario for healthy eating. I am off again in 2 days..... more road food :-\

lopez.... I have been surfing breaks that don't set up for taking beach "selfie" video's, so I can't review the 9'5 properly.... plus I need more time on it.
I can tell you this.... it share all the same riding characteristics of the 8'10.... with the expected affect on performance that happens when you jump up 30 liters and 2.5" in width.
It has the sweet carve, the speed and the easy way about it that the 8'10 has..... but is really a joy to stand on and paddle.... no work required, super stable at that size.
It's nice to have the Speeed sweetness in a easy-open package.  ;)

kneecapSUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2015, 06:50:09 PM »
If you like the feel of how the L41 rides but want something with a bit more bite and ability to hold in bigger surf,  they make a Bruce Wayne model that's more pulled in. A friend of mine recently got a Pintail version that's his go-to in punchy surf. I moved from a Simmons to an Infinity RNB about six months ago and I haven't seen its limit in doubler overhead plus surf yet. Mine is short and wider than most but I've been very impressed with how it handles a variety of conditions.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2015, 04:54:30 PM »
Hi all,

Thanks for all the suggestions.  I have demoed a few boards and taken my simsup in conditions I normally wouldn't and this led me to a decision.  I went with a custom Stretch 10 footer.  I was reluctant to go that long, then I suped in higher tide backwash conditions and realized I want a board that's easier in that kind of bump.  Lopezwill's comment about going longer makes sense, I tried a 10'6" Riviera a few days ago and I feel better about my custom decision as that volume of 170L feels about right.  I'll update when I get it next month.

FYI - here's a video from last week on my simsup, I love that board in clean waves and can see going a little smaller eventually:

madeinsantacruz

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2015, 08:00:28 PM »
Sweet vid - thanks for sharing.  What sort of GoPro setup do you have?  I saw your board at the factory this am.  That thing is gorgeous.  You will surely be stoked. 

MISC

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2015, 12:16:28 PM »

Tough to find a Foote to demo on the mainland. He needs a west coast dealer. On maui it's easy, you call bill or rent a production one from 808 boards. I just finished packing mine up to go back to Maui. It's my goto for everything. I really like it in big waves (big for me is 1.5 to DOH max).  Given how my asthma seems to be kicking up after my California trip, it might be smaller this year. Holding my breath long enough to clear the rinse cycle might be a stretch. We'll see.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 12:18:00 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal