Author Topic: 8'8" Hokua G32 LE Review  (Read 11523 times)

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
8'8" Hokua G32 LE Review
« on: October 04, 2015, 04:35:43 PM »
Bought this off Craigslist, great condition, great deal, the guy just had too many tools and rode a shortboard more than a SUP. I've been on a Fanatic Allwave 9'2" for two years as my main SUP for surfing. I recently bought a 10'1 JL B&B for smallish surf (which I love) and wanted to go a bit smaller for my other board for bigger surf and something that I can turn a bit quicker, more responsive, etc. I also lost some weight since I bought the AW, and now I'm around 175.

Anyways - I love this board, it's a perfect mix of stability and responsiveness. I had it out the last few days in chest to head, with 3' overhead sets and it has made a noticeable difference in my riding. In the past, on the AW, on quicker waves, I would make a bottom turn and then not have enough speed to make sections a lot of times. This board I had no issues, even got a little covered up for the first time on a SUP.

All in all - great board, light, and really feels like you are surfing instead of riding.

I'm a little concerned that I can feel heel dents in it where i stand, but no big deal.

If anyone has any questions or is thinking about getting this board, go for it.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 8'8" Hokua G32 LE Review
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 12:51:49 PM »
Is there a "G32" model now too?  I've heard of the "X32", rode SoCalGremmy's and liked it a lot.  If it's really a "G32" let's hear about it and how it differs from the X32.   Kind of always wanted their 7'8 X32, but never got around to getting one. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 05:26:17 PM »
How did it compare to the 8'2" Carbon Wide Point ?
Ralph
Sup-position
(714) 899-3020 call, Text or Message

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 06:47:03 PM »
My bad, x32, ha, and it's a lot more stable than the widepoint, but still fun once on the wave. Can't compare to the Widepoint on a wave really because I was still trying to get used to the stability by the time I was done riding it.

It's a lot of fun though and a nice step up from the AW while keeping stability.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2015, 09:05:04 PM »
My bad, x32, ha, and it's a lot more stable than the widepoint, but still fun once on the wave. Can't compare to the Widepoint on a wave really because I was still trying to get used to the stability by the time I was done riding it.

It's a lot of fun though and a nice step up from the AW while keeping stability.

Yeah, that's what the X32 seemed like to me too; a shorter version of an AllWave.  Which is not a bad thing.  Used to have an AllWave and regret selling it. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2015, 10:50:38 PM »
Is there a "G32" model now too?  I've heard of the "X32", rode SoCalGremmy's and liked it a lot.  If it's really a "G32" let's hear about it and how it differs from the X32.   Kind of always wanted their 7'8 X32, but never got around to getting one.

I have the 7'10 x32 and it was worth it. First time out I liked it...second time I was in big surf and was a bit more hesitant, but I've had it out a few times after and I love the board.
I also have the 7'0'' raptor which is also super..but I am slightly heavy..if I just lose a few lbs (I'm about 35lb above their max recommended weight) I'll be perfect on it.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2015, 10:38:27 AM »
If they weren't so blasted expensive, I would have bought the 7'10 X32.  Probably will keep my eyes open for a used one.
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2015, 05:29:33 PM »

Yeah I got mine on sale. When I got my raptor I almost sold it, then I got even fatter so I kept both. LOL

I must say thought they are great boards so I am super stoked to be riding them. Slightly nervous in super shallow spots tho. ;-)

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2015, 06:16:03 PM »

Slightly nervous in super shallow spots tho. ;-)

Why is that?
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2015, 02:22:22 PM »

Slightly nervous in super shallow spots tho. ;-)

Why is that?

haha because its an expensive board so I don't want to ding it.
Many of the spots I surf are pretty much reef so if you mess up you land of reef. Well you kind of have to mess up twice, but still.

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2015, 04:04:45 AM »

I got another great session on the 7'10''. Super fun. I realized I am about 20lb over their max recommended weight. I dunno why Naish keeps on estimating those low max weights. At least tell people its a little bit more tippy if you are way over...but its absolutely no problem paddling it.

Roundhouse

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2015, 06:14:29 AM »
I was a big Naish fan and bought a X32 when they first came out. Light, stable, I hated it. I took it out only on the best days, which are few and far between in Florida, and it was a dog. It would not even think about working in our typical mush. Having paid $2500, I traded it for $1200 credit less than 6 months later. I talked to a few guys riding them and they were disappointed too. The board would not carry through weak sections which we have a lot of. The shop I bought it at would not consider a trade for a left over Mana that retailed for half. The board from a local shaper I ride now has the same lines, same width and size as the x32 but a completely different bottom. I was able to demo one before I bought and now ride it in all conditions. I've been surfing almost 50 years, am retired so I don't miss waves and thought I was the target group Naish was looking to sell these to. I hope you enjoy it in your conditions. If someone wants to demo one here it is still sitting on the rack 9 months later.
Naish Nalu, Mana, Glide & Cannibal Assassin

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2015, 06:29:49 AM »
+ 1 on not liking the 8'8" Naish Hokua G32 LE at all..if anyone wants one, there is a slightly used (2 times) at Liquid Dreams in Ogunquit, Maine

traded mine in for my second  8'7" Jimmy Lewis Kwad which for me blows the doors off the Naish..pun intended because that Hokua surfed like a door for me….

Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2015, 06:40:23 AM »
+1 I'll buy almost anything! I demo'd the Naish and was NOT happy. It did not work for me at all. No sale. I found it interesting over on sea breeze that many of the early adopters sold them quickly. NEW boards for sale quickly always interesting data..

;D;D.   ;D
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 06:49:54 AM by mrbig »
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

SUPJorge

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2015, 07:50:28 AM »
Roundhouse,

I'm relatively new to SUS, on a good day I may generously call myself an intermediate. I have a X32 and my prior boards were a 10.6 C4 and a 9.6 Allwave. I'm trying to better understand your comments about the X32. (Maybe I just don't know enough yet??)

I've surfed my X32 in Nosara and during the recent Joaquin swell up and down the treasure coast in Florida. These are what pass for "good" waves in (or within easy reach of) South Florida and therefore in my book. I've switched out to quads and the board appears to turn fine but I will admit that, in these "better" conditions, I do have a nagging sense that maybe it could use more speed down the line. (I'm guessing this is what you mean when you say "The board would not carry through weak sections"???) I figured that's just part of the necessary compromise one makes in having a board with that width and shape, but maybe not.   

More often than not, I'm surfing in sloppy, on-shore wind chop and I think the board's stability works well here and its shape makes it work here.

Maybe it's a function of my place on the learning curve. When you say "It would not even think about working in our typical mush" are you referring to the swell of the past few weeks?

When you say "The board from a local shaper I ride now has the same lines, same width and size as the x32 but a completely different bottom" what board is that (because I definitely would like to try one)?  Is it a SS?
14' SIC Bullet V2 - 9'1" Naish Hokua X32 LE

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal