Author Topic: Cape Cod Downwind 101 Saturday  (Read 10841 times)

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Cape Cod Downwind 101 Saturday
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2015, 09:10:19 PM »
Paddling downwinders in the cold adds a whole additional set of challenges. Very stoked for you guys, be careful out there and send Stoneaxe back over to Maui. Pono and I will make sure he gets his sea legs worked.

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2015, 09:49:31 PM »
Paddling downwinders in the cold adds a whole additional set of challenges.

Not half wrong there. I see vids of all these guys paddling in shorts and t shirts and wonder if they ever know how lucky they are. Getting caught out where I am is life and death......if you lost a board you are in serious trouble. I think downwinders.might be just for the summer/ Autumn months here....especially as we are just so new at it.

Good to see you guys going at it.....enjoying the posts.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 10:36:56 PM by coldsup »

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2015, 05:43:26 AM »
Awesome to see you guys got out and did a downwinder, despite the weather. Looking forward to Creek's vid.. I know how hard it is to get a crew going, even in the temperate climes we have here. Even today, back in Hong Kong from Bali, post typhoon (= awesome conditions), on a late Sunday afternoon, I ended up going myself as no-one else could not make it.... which meant a taxi ride back to my car..

The way we've built the crew here though is starting off on super short runs (2.2 kms/ 1.5 milers). Almost like crossing a lake and super safe. Once I get them doing that then I take them on longer runs, and build from there. So if you have any lakes or small bays around you, I'd seek out ones that work for various wind directions.
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

supthecreek

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2015, 07:20:56 AM »
A video of the set-up, route, conditions and players, to inform the curious  ;D
set to 720P...... youtube lowers everything to unwatchable.
hell, the quality is bad enough already  :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JlXNwjfjKg
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 07:22:59 AM by supthecreek »

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2015, 08:07:57 AM »
Looks like a pretty epic first outing!

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2015, 10:27:10 AM »
I think we're  going to need a bigger boat. :) . Yesterday has me thinking about what I should replace  my vec with. A couple immediate thoughts...F14 or Shaka any other big guy boards to look at. I want to be able to do this but I need super stable board so I  can move and trim...no glides=suck
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2015, 10:33:09 AM »
I think we're  going to need a bigger boat. :) . Yesterday has me thinking about what I should replace  my vec with. A couple immediate thoughts...F14 or Shaka any other big guy boards to look at. I want to be able to do this but I need super stable board so I  can move and trim...no glides=suck

M14.....good downwinder and stable. Well done guys....
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 10:42:23 AM by coldsup »

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2015, 12:02:42 PM »
Those conditions looked like a lot of fun.  The F14 should be the most stable -> but maybe also consider the F16.   ;)
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

PabstSUP

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2015, 12:55:28 PM »
Nicely done!  Agree that starting out in P-town would have worked better with the wind direction.  Hope we can get a run going sometime later this fall in Rhody...  I've been eyeing a run from Pt Judith to either Narragansett or Jamestown on a strong SSW wind and swell which could be pretty epic in the right conditions.  Some day I also really want to do one from Orient Point to New London with the Cross-Sound Ferry as a Shuttle  8)
Hobie Raw 8'11
Sunova Flow 8'4"
Sunova Speeed 8'10
SIC Bullet 14' ASS

addapost

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2015, 03:30:28 PM »

F14, got one right here you can try anytime. Good time yesterday, glad I went! :)
Bunch of old shit

addapost

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2015, 04:33:31 PM »
A video of the set-up, route, conditions and players, to inform the curious  ;D
set to 720P...... youtube lowers everything to unwatchable.
hell, the quality is bad enough already  :)
Haha nice! Thanks for this! And thanks again for your support.
Bunch of old shit

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2015, 07:13:13 PM »
Thanks for cutting out the embarrassing parts.... :P. There was no way I was taking the high road. I much preferred getting beat a little in the water than trying balance along the top of the breakwall in the wind with legs that hardly worked... :(. The water actually felt good and moving around was helping to work out the cramps. I can't believe how damn sore my calf is still...feels like someone beat it with a stick.

I haven't had a chance to edit any video...long day today. Nicole was organizing the Strides walk in Falmouth and we were helping her move and setup all the stuff.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Argosi

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2015, 09:13:29 PM »
Nice video! Looks like epic conditions.

When I'm doing a route for the first time, I bring my phone so I can locate myself on a map. Without it, I'd miss my take out point most times for sure.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2015, 04:37:57 AM »
Nice video! Looks like epic conditions.

When I'm doing a route for the first time, I bring my phone so I can locate myself on a map. Without it, I'd miss my take out point most times for sure.

I had my phone....for some reason it was showing us off the coast of Africa..... :o  Could not get it working right while we were out there. It was in a new case that the only previous time I used it seemed fine. When we landed and I removed the case it was good thankfully because I figured creek was wondering what he was going to tell the coast guard... :P
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 04:42:29 AM by stoneaxe »
Bob

supthecreek

« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2015, 06:17:07 AM »
hell no....... I was cleaning your stuff out of the truck and adjusting the seat and mirrors to creek height. ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal