Author Topic: So the World Tour is Cancelled  (Read 12376 times)

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: So the World Tour is Cancelled
« Reply #45 on: October 04, 2015, 02:50:32 AM »
I enjoyed watching it live too. The board handling skills of the top few are phenomenal.

What boards were Kai and Caspar on? They kinda looked like the livery of the Javelins but with the Maliko noses. But I'm not an expert on the Naishes and was only watching on my phone so maybe they were just standard boards?

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: October 04, 2015, 06:28:59 PM »
One thing I wonder about (ok one of many), what about riders who don't surf and surfers who don't race or don't want to?  Form many racers, SUP is a paddle sport and surfing is something they've never done and don't really have any interest.  Many SUP surfers on the other hand consider SUP a form of surfing and have no interest in racing.  At the recreational level it's not an issue but at the top pro level it seems their only choice is do both or don't do at all.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 05, 2015, 07:40:18 PM »
in the early days of most sports the top atheletes do it all, but then the advantages od specific training takes hold. When I raced motorcycles you had to do TT, half mile, mile (all dirt) and roadracing to win the AMA championship. If you proposed that today people would laugh at you.

But what also happens is that the smaller draw variants die. Used to be that ant tank town in America had a 1/4 milke dirt oval with a TT section in the infierld. Now they are abandoned--most of them are strip malls.

I spent the night last night at Lake Elsinore, which uswed to be this cool little reitrement community with a funky downtorn and some cool buildings on the kake dating to 1900. I raced in the Elsinore Grand Prix there a few times. Slept in a one man tent on the lake shore, at breakfast at a lttle restaurant with grannies cooking in the back. Great biscuits.  Eggs from hens that ate bugs (orange yolks). Now it''s solid striop mall crap. Sheesh. Where was I....
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: October 06, 2015, 11:33:05 AM »
When I raced motorcycles you had to do TT, half mile, mile (all dirt) and roadracing to win the AMA championship. If you proposed that today people would laugh at you.

But what also happens is that the smaller draw variants die. Used to be that ant tank town in America had a 1/4 milke dirt oval with a TT section in the infierld. Now they are abandoned--most of them are strip malls.

Did you ever race at Ascot in Gardena?

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: October 06, 2015, 11:37:00 AM »
Used to live in Gardena
Rode our Schwinn Stingrays over there..
used to find all kinds of things under the grand stands...
Gold mine for a kid...

I think the ducks in the pond in the middle of the track were deaf...from
the roar of the race cars..
Ralph
Sup-position
(714) 899-3020 call, Text or Message

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: October 06, 2015, 02:40:58 PM »
I went to Ascot a couple of times with my dad when I was a kid to watch flat track racing. I can't remember if they had a TT track their as well. I remember some bad wipe outs into the wall and the ambulance racing around the track to them. I was the late 60's and I was probably 6 or 7 years old.   
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal