Author Topic: So the World Tour is Cancelled  (Read 12399 times)

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: So the World Tour is Cancelled
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2015, 01:43:29 PM »
We will never sell lifestyle. It's too kooky. I will maintain this as long as I am photographed doing both by my wife. My research shows that I look way cooler sitting waiting for a wave than standing.

Same with walking to the water.

If you want to test my theory, Photoshop a walking stick into the hand of every cool surfer shot walking down a tropical beach. If you add booties they actually become invisible to women.

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2015, 02:59:18 PM »
If you want to test my theory, Photoshop a walking stick into the hand of every cool surfer shot walking down a tropical beach. If you add booties they actually become invisible to women.

You kinda have a point...BUT, when I'm walking down a tropical surfing beach with waves...women are just about the last thing on my mind at the time...;-)
Pragmatically, sun protection...skin protection...food...liquid...etc...are necessities if you are to optimize your wave/dollar ratio...no matter how "kooky" it looks...;-)
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2015, 03:20:47 PM »
 ;D....love that last pic WD

I have to say, all this means very little to me. I like going to events but I wouldn't go just to watch. I either want to be participating or helping out. Standing around watching does little/nothing for me. I enjoy watching great surfers but I can get a better view on youtube and the true enjoyment of watching is being on the water with a friend and seeing them catch a great wave and do his/her best on it.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 03:28:34 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2015, 04:11:06 PM »
Um, I think Kai and Conner are already doing full contact, and Chuck is dangerous in the blowup relay races, swimming underwater like a human torpedo and grabbing competing team members.

So that was fun to watch--once.

From the sounds of things I might be the number one SUP surf and race spectator in the world. If only because I actually did attend the HB event last year, as well as all the BOPs, all the Gorge Paddle Challenges, most of the Naish races, etc., etc.. My secret for watching these events? Bring a book.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2015, 03:35:49 AM »
War dog, of course I'm jot saying I care, just that we likely won't be getting the "lifestyle" folks anytime soon.

Didn't some people up in your neck of the woods pour some trust fund money into that? ;)

My buddies tease me, but I get 10x the waves and fun. As was said, participant sport.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2015, 05:22:58 AM »
We will never sell lifestyle. It's too kooky. I will maintain this as long as I am photographed doing both by my wife. My research shows that I look way cooler sitting waiting for a wave than standing.

Same with walking to the water.

I've actually had far MORE women show interest since I found SUP. Losing 50 lbs no doubt helped but they were more interested in what I was doing than me....at least most were. My wife thinks its funny.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2015, 06:14:09 AM »
I stole the phrase "Welsh Tourist" from Strand Leper, because its so appropriate. No. the lifestyle thing isn't going to fly.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2015, 07:18:57 AM »

I've actually had far MORE women show interest since I found SUP. Losing 50 lbs no doubt helped but they were more interested in what I was doing than me....at least most were. My wife thinks its funny.

Me too.  Now I just need to do the losing 50 pounds part.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 07:22:44 AM by surf4food »

supthecreek

« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2015, 08:13:51 AM »
wow..... so you guys think the "Lifestyle" thing is all about you.... or SUP surfing?  ;D ;D ;D ;D

The "lifestyle" that will sell SUP into the future will look more like this:

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2015, 08:52:39 AM »
^^^^ EXACTLY.

Other than the small group that Surf the mall pool up here with us - 98% of my customers could care less about SUP surfing, and or racing.
Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2015, 09:20:07 AM »
Yep. Most paddlers have no idea who the top racers are, what is involved in a race as far as the disciplines go, and as far as life style goes? The biggest growth in the SUP market has been in casual paddling, and in my area, more women are on paddleboards than men. Easily. That's where the money is. Most paddlers aren't in that lifestyle surf bracket either, wearing surf brand endorsed everything.

It would be cool to see more paddling festival type of events, which could attract more people, and possibly be more sustainable. It sucks for the elite racer, but maybe traction could be gained back if a venue is created that attracts more people and the racing can be sustained by default, rather than by actual spectator interest. What I'm getting at is, have enough going on at a festival that makes sponsors want to be involved because people are going to show up. More clinics, flatwater tours, DW shuttles, sponsor booths, additional life style brands such as yoga wear, classes, other fitness apparel brands. Things that will attract a much more diverse audience, which is the reality of this sport. You are more likely to encounter a female paddler out here wearing 300 dollars worth of Lulu lemon apparel or Prana, or a male paddler sporting Under Armour, or some other expensive fitness brand. I'm reaching here, but the festival type atmosphere seems a lot more interesting and diverse than targeting a race specific event with a narrow audience.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 09:23:33 AM by robon »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2015, 11:01:25 AM »
My point exactly. And when I said the lifestyle thing wouldn't fly, I guess I mean the macho lifestyle that surfing and some other sports create a franchise with. SUP fits right into the "I'm going to be healthy my whole life" lifestyle.

surfafrica

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2015, 02:15:21 PM »
For anyone but those involved in SUP racing, it's just a variation of canoe or kayak racing.  They may see it on TV once every four years during the Olympics as they flip between beach volleyball and high diving and think, "huh, I didn't know that became an Olympic event."

(though, it'll be interesting to see how surfing goes over if it gets a demo spot in 2020 and how the new gen of wave pools will do when it comes to competition and the public's interest in it)
50 years old, 5'7", 150 lbs, intermediate
Infinity RNB: 7'6 x 28, 95 L https://goo.gl/SqlWR4
Kronos LB: 8'10 x 26.5, 84 L https://goo.gl/4iQdps
Kronos Nano: 7'4 x 26, 81 L https://goo.gl/kAM8W6

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2015, 09:51:48 PM »
Yeah Stoney, not the fun participant part. I mean "the lifestyle" that sells millions of shirts and boardshorts. That's the one that feeds events like the world tour.

Look at what the top surfers make. One of those guys makes more than the entire SUP world tour per year.

I do think we sell a lot of booties and surf hats though. ;)

peterp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2015, 12:31:39 AM »
I watched the distance race at Huntington on the live feed yesterday - and thoroughly enjoyed it. Kai's ability in the bumps was a sight to behold - he made the others look like they were standing still while he surfed past them, constantly gliding...incredible - really made me want a board like his, just because I'd know what it could do and even if I did it for only 1/100th of the time he makes it do it, it would be amazing.....

Perfect choice of course, short leg out through a shorey, dog leg into the wind and then a return downwind back to inside buoy, surf in, round flag, repeat. Lots of lead changes (behind Kai) and because they were always in sight and came right in to beach you could have a look out for personal favourites further down the field that the announcers may have missed. The skil level of men and women was so high that even just seeing how the handled waves and chopped up waters was inspirational.

Well done Stand Up World Series - I hope you find the cash to continue.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
Today at 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal