Author Topic: Finally joined the SUP Club  (Read 3685 times)

ford

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Finally joined the SUP Club
« on: September 30, 2015, 12:14:06 PM »
After renting three times on different vacations, I finally picked up a SUP to be used by the family. Mostly flat bay and lake water.

Its a general all around board from SupATX. End of year clearance type of deal.

http://checkout.supatx.com/stand-up-paddle-board-bundle/sup-atx-paddleboard-model-scout-length-11-6-color-green-free-shipping.html

Very basic board, but it will get us started. My wife and daughter enjoy it but probably won't get into it like I will.

I predict I'll be buying a better board for me to use about this time next year from one of the Zone sponsors.

Going to need a roof rack system and some other accessories also.

Thanks for all the info the last year everyone.

ndnboy

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Re: Finally joined the SUP Club
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2015, 03:08:10 AM »
Just picked up similar boards for the family. Hope to try out soon. Please let us know how you like them. Havent seen many/any reviews on them....price point is great for intro into SUP, hope to get alot of use out of them.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2015, 03:19:33 AM »
Congrats...enjoy the addiction.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

FeralInBaja

• What?
  • Rincon Status
  • Beginner's mind... works for me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2015, 08:10:36 AM »
Right on! Cool looking board! I just started SUP'ing 2 months ago. I've had the luck to be able to be out at least 60 times in the 2 months (some double and triple sessions, especially when the Hurricane Linda swell hit). I started pure surf, as a replacement for regular surfboards, cause of old back injuries, and I love it. Jump in with both feet. And when looking for other boards, I know Blue Planet Surf (Zone Sponsor) and Extreme Windsurfing (Zone Sponsor) are both super cool. I was amazed at the low shipping they offer, I'm trying to save up for a second board, I love my board, "Solid" but it's a little squirrely balancing in choppy conditions, I can do it, but it tires me out... So from one of the other new guys here... Welcome!!!
8' 4" S3 Simsup 134 ltr.
6' 10" 88 ltr. Solid Surf Quad

Blue Planet Surf
FeatherLight Carbon Paddle!
Gifted from Rob- Eternal Aloha to you Rob.
Isle Pro Carbon Paddle
Surfercook Special ThankYou!!!

CamOne Infinity and GoPro (Sadly destroyed in Big Beachbreak)
Thank you Wetstuff and NoSaltSuper

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2015, 08:34:32 AM »
Wait, ford, get it out while you still can!  You are setting yourself up for a lifetime of addiction.  Side effects: Strange lumps growing on your body (muscles), uncontrolled grinning, increased day dreaming about your next session.  Even worse; getting heavily into SUP will totally ruin your couch-potato lifestyle, and that gut you have worked diligently on for years will be lost.  Don't say I didn't warn you.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 08:47:14 AM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2015, 11:24:43 AM »
Wait, ford, get it out while you still can!  You are setting yourself up for a lifetime of addiction.  Side effects: Strange lumps growing on your body (muscles), uncontrolled grinning, increased day dreaming about your next session.  Even worse; getting heavily into SUP will totally ruin your couch-potato lifestyle, and that gut you have worked diligently on for years will be lost.  Don't say I didn't warn you.

That was supposed to say "Get out of it" not "Get it out"   :o
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2015, 01:45:22 PM »
Zoo is right. Start searching craigslist for VW vans now.

Welcome man!

ManxSUP

• Waikiki Status
  • kook from the Isle of Man
    • View Profile
    • stuff I get up too...
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2015, 01:01:46 AM »
OMG how cheap is that board! Sure you'll have loads of fun.

I'm a SUS/SUP kook myself, so welcome to the club!
Kook from the Isle of Man. Mediocre at SUP, poor to average surfer, not bad on a motorcycle though...

SpaceCoastPaul

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2015, 03:32:05 AM »
Enjoy!
8'8" x 31" Stu Sharpe WaveHog
10' x 32" Foote

lavafrog

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2015, 11:49:57 PM »
ford, it is totally addicting!  I'm taking my wife to get her first board this weekend! I'd say that most all of us have taken our lumps learning, but there is a lot of info here to help you out.  You're gonna have so much fun, just gear up and get out there! 8)
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did.  ~ Mark Twain

ford

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2015, 06:56:59 PM »
Thanks for the kind words. I generally choose addicting hobbies that lead to money being spent... I usually become a gearhead.

The board is here and it seems as nice and solid as the rentals I've used in the past. Nothing fancy, but it can take me to the small waves of Galveston, the smoothness of the local bay and a couple of nice lakes in the area.

Of course now I need a nice rack system that will hold two boards for when I expand the family (daughter is already dying to have her own of course)....and maybe a cooler vehicle to get me too and from the water than my 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe! (but probably not really)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal