Author Topic: Come on Jouquin  (Read 23916 times)

outcast

• Peahi Status
  • Ambassador for Nihilistic Surf
    • View Profile
Re: Come on Jouquin
« Reply #45 on: October 07, 2015, 06:08:23 AM »
Gonna try and get some Cape juice today....If I can find out where all the sand got pushed to.

That thing is still spinning ...I think when it goes retro, that there is a higher chance of getting that occasional rogue for STC..bad rumor maybe?

Yeah it never went nuts, but fun anyway....

Feel sad about the El Faro crew though...always bittersweet to play in waves like that....Went to Staten Island and pushed muck after Sandy was feeling guilty
Too many for the rack
Some in the shack
Some under decks
Some have straps

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2015, 07:02:05 AM »
caught a sweeet morning sesh at LB yesterday--minor crowd issues compared to what creek says re points NE. Sadly I had work issues which limited my water time to just over two hours, but they were very nice hours. Connected with NJS as planned. Safe to say he was pleased to be there.

Caught a few glassy beasts. Rode the AW.

Great meeting you and surfing Eastbound...and yes..the crowd factor was an issue...especially with the 'hand tattoo' guy- who despite everyone else in the water realizing we were giving alot of respect (never seen so many guys paddle and pull out on waves i gave to them...) had it in for the SUPs.   Still only saw him get one wave.

def. one if not the biggest day on the SUP especially since i hung outside. Looking forward to doing it again.

Oh and Creek....I was one of the NJ guys driving all over the place ruining local breaks since the wind ruined all this swell for anyone with  Yellow Licence plate :)

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 07, 2015, 08:29:10 AM »
Where were you guys surfing?  My old haunts were Laurelton blvd. and in high school Monroe.  In front on the lido hotel had some good banks too. That going in and getting out some jetties away is typical when it's big.

Do know of the cove in Atlantic beach? The inlet there is surfable as well.
And the first beaches in rockaway just over the bridge.

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: October 07, 2015, 10:47:12 AM »
We were surfing a few streets down from Lincoln.- just to try to avoid some of the crowds

I checked AB and it was breaking smaller i think bc it was a little more protected from the swell- never surfed there though because of their weird parking rules...as things moved west on the island of LB it got smaller, and from the look of the cam vs what i surfed was a foot or two smaller in Rockaway- and I have found that Rock doesnt handle long period as well and tends to close out.  I have car-less proner friends there who still had a blast the whole storm despite only being able to surf that break.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 07, 2015, 11:49:20 AM »
i have heard of a "cove" in atlantic beach which breaks only when very big, but didnt want to waste my precious couple of hours on a potential fail.

want also to check out democrat's point out there---conflicting info on whether it still breaks after sandy, tho---looks like it would wrap nicely on maps

NJ, we were actually almost a mile west of lincoln, a few blox west of laurelton--i bleieve the surfers' view cam features laurelton

looked really nice this morning too--smaller, but stil chest head high and glassy.

Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 07, 2015, 12:08:42 PM »
and yes nj, good meeting you--yes yes--the proners see us looking at a wave, they often go for it, and often pull out--we try to be accommodative which prevents our paddle in, and they waste the wave--lame

yesterday i went ahead and dropped a few times, only to kick out right away to clear for a proner who actually dropped--nbd and they had no issue, taking the wave to the beach--most of the time they pulled out and it was my wave--once they see you are looking, and  can and will kick out, they tend not to beef

better to make the drop and kick out right away than to try to abort the drop and make a mess on the wave face. but to sit back and watch proners waste wave after wave gets trying after a while.

whatever--i really do try to behave well, if they dont like it, too bad

and we caught many nice waves--

Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: October 07, 2015, 12:13:56 PM »
and yes nj, good meeting you--yes yes--the proners see us looking at a wave, they often go for it, and often pull out--we try to be accommodative which prevents our paddle in, and they waste the wave--lame

yesterday i went ahead and dropped a few times, only to kick out right away to clear for a proner who actually dropped--nbd and they had no issue, taking the wave to the beach--most of the time they pulled out and it was my wave--once they see you are looking, and  can and will kick out, they tend not to beef

better to make the drop and kick out right away than to try to abort the drop and make a mess on the wave face. but to sit back and watch proners waste wave after wave gets trying after a while.

whatever--i really do try to behave well, if they dont like it, too bad

AGREED...im not complaining for sure....still dreaming of waves like yesterday knowing we are coming up on 20mph offshore wind season when it gets good again...

and we caught many nice waves--

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #52 on: October 07, 2015, 02:04:17 PM »
I finally got a piece of Jouquin. It never made it into Plymouth...looked like a lake. Drove up the coast and the further north the better it got. Was tempted to go solo on some very empty waist high waves but ended up 8 miles further north at Nantasket. Plenty of waves, waist to chest glass with a head high set about every 10 mins. Great vibe in the water. Nice conversation with an old longboarder, we were splitting waves. We were sitting on a bar that was putting up a nice A frame. Going whichever side we were on when the next wave came and how it was breaking. I paddled up the beach about 1/2 mile to talk to a friend. Paul is one of the guys that joined me and Mike for the 1st CCBC. He was on a longboard when I 1st paddled over then he went in for his Pat Rawson 9-4...said he couldn't let me have all the fun... :). Lost count of waves, I told anyone inside me prone that if I saw them going for it I'd pull off. Everybody got well fed today.

I was really struggling at first...heads still screwed up but I settled down and had a blast.  Most of the rides were pretty easy, glass just makes everything so different. Some of the waves were closing out quickly so you had to be a bit picky. The good ones I could get in early and run down the line making some long swooping turns. Some floaters and mushy lips....paddle out the back. Had a few cheater 5's (all board) but very fun, crouched down and dragging a peace sign through the face.  I was hair dry for about a 1/2 hour at one point and on a conveyor belt it felt like. As I paddled slowly back up the beach I was taking off as far out as I could, missing some but watching way outside so I could be in the right spots to get the bigger ones. The forecast called for it to drop but it got better, the bigger sets grew slightly bigger and more frequent. I caught a bigger one later in the day and got pitched surprisingly hard. Felt like I hit concrete, a real shock to the back, head, and neck (just what I needed... :P ). It actually shook me up a bit. I let myself get pushed inside and I sat there for a few minutes until it settled down. I decided to go in and possibly call it quits. I was walking toward my truck and turned around and saw this perfectly peeling glassy face high right EMPTY running down the beach and thought WTFAID? Dropped my board went up and got a water and a couple vitamin A's and went back out for another 1/2 hour. Somewhat pleasantly stiff and numb at the moment. I think I'll celebrate with a taste of Professional Small Boy.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 02:16:24 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 07, 2015, 02:57:24 PM »
After doing the Rhode Trip Tour for several days and catching a few in smaller protected spots I got lucky today. Two set waves every 12 minutes, Way outside only SUP guy. Scored on my Angulo. OH OH Haha! Stamina still sketchy from Cardiac Arrest so when I rode one with a nice wall farther in - session OVAH!

Blessed to be able to do this at all! Thanks BIG FELLA!
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #54 on: October 07, 2015, 04:18:20 PM »

Jetty Park near Cocoa Beach on Sunday. Shot from a drone.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #55 on: October 07, 2015, 04:34:48 PM »
Very nice.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Garmize

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: October 07, 2015, 06:05:44 PM »
Went out today at around 5 in Bay head, NJ.  Big and sloppy.  Caught a few waves one was bigger then I planned on, but once I took the drop no looking back.  It was definitely overhead.  The hardest part was getting beat up as I was trying to get back out.  Took a few to the head/body, by the time I was done I felt like I was in a fight and Jouquin won.  At least I caught about 5 good waves.  Only 2 other surfers out about a football field apart from me.  That will keep me going for a while.
8'8"    Cannibal Blade - 118L
8'11"  Allwave - 150L
10'0"  Mana - 210L

nj_sup

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: October 07, 2015, 06:21:15 PM »

Left work early to hopefully get some Joaquin swell but all I found in South Jersey was closeouts close to shore. The breaks that were farther out died immediately with nothing to ride
mike
Fanatic 9'5" Allwave
Fanatic 9'10" Allwave
Fanatic 12' Ray Wood Edition
KeNalu Ho'oloa 95 paddle

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #58 on: October 07, 2015, 06:38:30 PM »
This was Nantasket when I 1st got there. I wanted to get in the water so just took a quick pic. It was far better than this shows. Second pic is from the cam a few hours after I left...looks like the size held about the same. Wish I could have stayed but my arms were dead and I needed to get some work done.
Bob

outcast

• Peahi Status
  • Ambassador for Nihilistic Surf
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 08, 2015, 06:13:59 AM »
Hardie always seems to get the texture and light.  he's a landscapes kinda photog
Mostly close outs
here's one of the last leftovers
Too many for the rack
Some in the shack
Some under decks
Some have straps

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal