Author Topic: Were you ever a SUP hater?  (Read 13328 times)

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Were you ever a SUP hater?
« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2015, 05:29:29 PM »
I think the majority of haters are at least people who did not initially have a high opinion of it were lifelong prone surfers.  Not so much people from a paddle sports background. 
Probably mostly true, however, many of the waveskiiers (buttboarders) at DogPatch are not too happy about SUPs coming in and taking over their favorite break.  Before 2007, they had DogPatch pretty much to themselves, now they are severely outnumbered and have a difficult time catching waves.  I know a lot of those guys and there is some animosity.

I guess I was referring to paddle sports people who don't surf their craft.  I didn't really think about wave skiers.  Makes me think though.  Who would prone surfers hate more.  SUPers or wave skiers? 

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2015, 07:19:35 PM »
I think the majority of haters are at least people who did not initially have a high opinion of it were lifelong prone surfers.  Not so much people from a paddle sports background. 
Probably mostly true, however, many of the waveskiiers (buttboarders) at DogPatch are not too happy about SUPs coming in and taking over their favorite break.  Before 2007, they had DogPatch pretty much to themselves, now they are severely outnumbered and have a difficult time catching waves.  I know a lot of those guys and there is some animosity.

I guess I was referring to paddle sports people who don't surf their craft.  I didn't really think about wave skiers.  Makes me think though.  Who would prone surfers hate more.  SUPers or wave skiers? 

Good point.  I think some of them are open-minded and are OK with anybody that behaves well.  Other surfers hate anybody that's around.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 07:28:20 PM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

SUP Leave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2015, 10:00:02 AM »
It takes too much time and energy to hate anything. I don't even hate my deadbeat brother in law, and I have every right to.

I started out prone and still prone a lot. Up here in the PNW we just don't have the issues, the water is cold and there is generally a lot of room.

Last summer in Maui I saw some pretty bad offenders and they were good surfers, so I was a little confused as to their hogginess. If someone is putting someone else in danger that is something to be concerned with, but 9 times out of 10 it is ignorance not malice causing the issue (which is true for most all of human interaction). The good surfers in Maui hogging the waves just felt entitled, which I get when your break is 80% tourists. I waited for like 2 sets on a longboard and these guys (and ladies) just kept taking, I finally just gave up thinking maybe this dude would let me go since he was so hoggy. I stood up before the wave broke and he was to my left. I said "I'll go right" and he said "nope I am!" and by law I had to bug out while the left went unridden.

Point taken, I settled for the next peak over.

Make paddleboarding great again!

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2015, 01:03:00 PM »
dud e sounds like an a____  or perhaps he can only go  one way.
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 09, 2015, 02:27:52 PM »
Hey, SUP Leave, what break were you at where all the hogging was going on? I'm just curious....

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 10, 2015, 04:52:19 AM »
If he crossed the peak to go right, you had priority...

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 10, 2015, 04:04:48 PM »
Goin' left brah! No drop ins, eh bruddah!
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: October 10, 2015, 06:47:54 PM »
If he crossed the peak to go right, you had priority...

Agree, but if I was a tourist all alone surfing among a bunch of Hawaiian locals, I don't think I would push the issue.  Might not be good for your health. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 11, 2015, 05:09:19 AM »
Sometimes it goes beyond the standard lineup rules and you have to treat a surf break more like a party you want to crash. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal