Author Topic: Were you ever a SUP hater?  (Read 13327 times)

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Were you ever a SUP hater?
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2015, 03:05:22 PM »
Welcome to ZooTherapy
Ralph
Sup-position
(714) 899-3020 call, Text or Message

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2015, 04:24:05 PM »
Pretty much like Bill Foote said...I've had an open mind to surfing sports all along...
Started with a skateboard that had clay wheels...started prone surfing before I was a teenager...early adopter of snowboarding,windsurfing, and kiteboarding...
Stoked that I got to experience standup in the halcyon days before the SUP hate started...wasn't even on the radar of most proners...
Today, if I see 5 SUP's at a break I will usually go some place else...sadly, that number will probably have to get adjusted up for wave crowd inflation...;-)
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2015, 04:38:49 PM »
My first experiences with SUP surfers was the stereotypical guys on giant boards going blindly out into the middle of the lineup and ruining it for everyone.  You can't blame a surfer for resenting that kind of behavior.  I couldn't stand those morons...and I still can't stand that kind of SUPer. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

JC50

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2015, 05:17:12 PM »
No, I was an early adopter so I never had the chance.

But I was a longtime longboarder and didn't like longboarders who didn't let good waves go unridden for short boarders sitting inside....so when new paddlesurfers arrived and didn't realize their responsibility to let lots of good waves go by for others (give more than take)  I avoided them and paddled to empty breaks.  Now those empty breaks have other paddlesurfers doing the same thing (avoiding prone surf breaks) so I'm not so uptight about it.

But hypocriticaly, paddlesurfers creep me out....they look like planet of the apes (70's era) when paddling over to where I am.... I usually blast out of there to another wave...LOL!

I really look like that?

newton333

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2015, 03:58:08 PM »
i still hate it.  i see guys with huge boards and coil leashes taking every wave in sight all the time.  guys who can't surf at all dropping in on everyone and paddling around them for position after every wave. guys who never regular surfed a day in there life and paddle out at most crowed line ups.

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2015, 04:29:32 PM »
There was a guy in a surf kayak who went into the Sharks lineup yesterday. Nearly ran me down once.

It was really tossy water yesterday, tide was permanently high for two cycles due to position of sun and moon.

After having a wave nearly slam me into a kid learning, another SUP guy on my other side, some other aggressive SUP and the kayaker, I decided to call it a day.

I have been sick for a few days, anyway, couldn't go out Friday. That left me with no energy and crappy balance for the weekend.

I went back to Privates only to see kayak guy had followed me and almost ran me down again with only two other people in the lineup. I guess that's what proners allege SUPs do all the time.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2015, 05:25:14 PM »
I was never a surfer but windsurfed early on in waves. I understand the comments here about being in the line up with proners. I've seen it and experienced it and it actually terrifies me so I avoid it and try always to go to places where that are no proners and few others out. I know I don't have the control nor have I experienced that line up etiquette enough to feel I know what I can and can't do. Until I do, I'm staying away or going out with experienced people who can show me the ropes.

That's why I like downwinding so much. No line up. No crowds. No need for keeping spots secret. And you can catch some of the longest rides you'll ever have, fall off the back of it, and immediately catch the next one, without having to paddle back out..
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2015, 06:06:52 PM »

That's why I like downwinding so much. No line up. No crowds. No need for keeping spots secret. And you can catch some of the longest rides you'll ever have, fall off the back of it, and immediately catch the next one, without having to paddle back out..

I'm a life long proner (ok off and on) and what even drew me into finally giving SUP a try was as an alternative to crowded surf lineups.  As of yet I just have no interest in taking a SUP out in a surf break.  Lakes, bays, semi open ocean.  I need to get better though and the logistics of it seem pretty cumbersome, at least where I live.

FloridaWindSUP

• Sunset Status
  • Marine Biologist, Riviera Paddlesurf Ambassador
    • View Profile
    • James' Blog
« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2015, 07:23:09 AM »
Hmm, interesting to see how many started from prone surfing.

I started from windsurfing and kiting, so my first thoughts about SUP (and prone surfing) were: "Seems like a whole lot of boring, hard paddling to get one short little ride. Why would anybody want to do that instead of using wind power?"

But one windless day I made a sup paddle for my windsurfing longboard and cruised around on flat water looking at the scenery and stuff. I figured, "yeah, it's kind of boring, but it's better than sitting on the beach. I can do it with stuff I already have, and I like the style/feel a little better than canoeing or kayaking."

Still, I only did it every once-in-a-while until I moved to Nahant, MA where they actually had well-organized rideable waves. I got a proper sup (Angulo Surfa 10'4) and really got hooked on the wave riding thing. The prone surfers were always down in the freezing cold water and struggling to get rides so I never wanted to be one of them.

Sup WITHOUT waves still seemed like the worlds most boring thing, though- a watersport of last resort. But when I moved to SW Florida and got to explore the jungle-like blackwater rivers and stuff it got a little more interesting. Then somehow I got lured into racing and hooked on that. Even though it's nothing but pain it's somehow more rewarding than other types of working out.
14x23 Riviera RP
14x27.25 Fanatic Falcon
11'8 Exocet WindSUP
10'4 Angulo WindSUP
...and a bunch of windsurf stuff

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2015, 08:50:18 AM »
Welcome to ZooTherapy

"Hello, my name is Mike.  I was a SUP hater, but I have been sober now for 327 days..."
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2015, 09:51:38 AM »

I need to get better though and the logistics of it seem pretty cumbersome, at least where I live.

Ok I am referring to downwinders which is something I want to do in the near future.  I forgot to mention that.

addapost

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2015, 03:22:40 PM »
Never a SUP hater. It was literally love at first sight. I was a kayak surfer for a few years when I saw my first SUP at Deep Hole. Dude paddled casually over, caught a few sweet rides and paddled off. I'm sitting there on my ass looking up at him and said, "THAT's for me." Sold that boat and never looked back. (I've never proned. For some reason, as much as I love the water, it has never appealed to me. I don't get it at all.)
Bunch of old shit

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2015, 03:48:39 PM »
I think the majority of haters are at least people who did not initially have a high opinion of it were lifelong prone surfers.  Not so much people from a paddle sports background. 

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2015, 04:38:40 PM »
I think the majority of haters are at least people who did not initially have a high opinion of it were lifelong prone surfers.  Not so much people from a paddle sports background. 
Probably mostly true, however, many of the waveskiiers (buttboarders) at DogPatch are not too happy about SUPs coming in and taking over their favorite break.  Before 2007, they had DogPatch pretty much to themselves, now they are severely outnumbered and have a difficult time catching waves.  I know a lot of those guys and there is some animosity. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

supsurf-tw

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2015, 05:06:45 PM »
The first time I saw SUP was at a famous point break by my house. There was this gorgeous Hawaiian girl doing it. She was so graceful and full of smiles for everyone and had great etiquette. I didn't give it much thought. So no, no hate ever. I hate assholes in the water, that's about the extent of it.
Boards:

8-10 x 31 Egg
8-11 X 32 Double wing Fangtail Tom Whitaker
8-6 X 30 1\2  Inbetweener Tom Whitaker
8-4 x 30 Hyper quad Tom Whitaker (wife's now)
8-4 X 31 1\4.  Round (wide) Diamond Tail Quad Tom Whitaker
 9-4 X 30 1\2. Swallow Stinger Quad Tom Whitaker (ex wifes now)
10-0 Brusurf for teach

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal