Author Topic: San Francisco / Alcatraz  (Read 9500 times)

SUPtouring

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
San Francisco / Alcatraz
« on: September 28, 2015, 10:06:01 PM »
Hey guys,

I'll be up in San Francisco in late January 2016 and wanted to SUP from the Fishermans Wharf area to out & around Alcatraz and back.

Average water temperature for this time of year in the Bay is approximately 52F.  I've got a full wetsuit, booties, gloves, etc...so should be set on gear.  Just wanted your experienced opinions if this is stupid, dangerous or no problem at all.

I'm assuming it would only be about 3-5 miles for the loop.

Any advice or opinions to share?

Finally, where would be the best place to launch from?  Any illegal areas to launch from that I should know about?

Thanks!

John

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
Re: San Francisco / Alcatraz
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 10:21:42 PM »
I did that paddle in 2009 as part of the Hennessey's SUP cup.

The race started at the Aquatic park, out of the harbor, there was a left turn and the course went up close to the golden gate bridge, then back to the harbor and a left hand turn then around Alcatraz and back,  going around Alcatraz was really cool.  The water is pretty chilly, so booties are a good idea.

Here is a recap of the race:
http://zenwaterman.blogspot.com/2009/10/california-sup-trip-hennesseys-tahoe.html
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 04:28:24 AM »
There isn't any public access to the water near Fisherman's Wharf.  Aquatic Park might be the closest place to launch.
The tides and currents on the bay can be very strong.  Study up.  You don't want to be dragged out under the Golden Gate Bridge. 

SUPtouring

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2015, 07:58:24 AM »
Thanks for the info guys.  Did some research on the Aquatic Park recommendation and it looks like that's the best place to launch from.

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2015, 08:04:02 AM »
Check the tides first. I've done outrigger races there from Chrissy Field around Alcatraz and back with a strong west wind and a flood tide. Felt like one mile down and 6 miles back.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal