Author Topic: Touring fin for my Sic F-14  (Read 5779 times)

HanaSurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Touring fin for my Sic F-14
« on: September 04, 2015, 06:28:06 PM »
I'm realling loving my F-14. I have the stock 8.3 fin and a Ninja fin for downwinding if winds are high and I need more fin.
 I want a fin for long touring and island hopping on days wind is 5-10.I've been doing a lot of that lately. I've sold 3 boards since getting the F-14 and almost tempted to have a one board quiver with several fins for each activity. What got me going on this was I tried a Futures Keel fin at 6.25". Lots less effort to get the board started and speed really increased and paddling was more effortless BUT I lost a lot of stability which I want to keep for touring and sight seeing.
 I'm thinking about a Gladiator fin but the Hybrid is larger than the stock Sic fin. Has anyone tried the Pro model Gladiator on the F14?? I'm afraid it might be too small as the F14 is 30" wide with a lot of volume and I'd lose my stability. Love to hear from someone about the Pro model or what they use. THANKS   

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Touring fin for my Sic F-14
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2015, 09:57:40 PM »
Have both the Elite and Hybrid -> both work fine for distance touring and DW in 20-30 kts.  Board feel is slightly more stable dampened and slower.  The Elite we sometimes put on our Bullet -> and Hybrid stays put on our SB Touring Carbon.  We currently have 4 boards and interchange 6 fins between them.  By swapping out fins you can change the handling characteristics enough to feel a difference -> but have sorted to basically only using 1 or 2 fins per board.

One of the local sponsored riders DW uses a Hybrid on his custom 25 to give him a touch more stability.  It is all about fun - going fast - and staying dry anyways so why not put on a fin that you know will work in all conditions.  Small conditions we put on the 8.3 -> rough we put on the Elite.  Works a charm and board planes like crazy anyways.   ;)
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

HanaSurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2015, 05:35:52 AM »
Thanks Eagle. It's good to know these style fins work well with the Sic's. I really want one size to use just for touring on calm days that will make paddling easier with glide and speed improvements on the wider,heavier F14. The "feel" I got from the Futures keel fin was that the board was 6-8 lbs. lighter on the first few strokes to get board started and kept cruising speed with not much shoulder strain when paddling.I just lost too much stability with such a small fin.
 I emailed them at SupGladiator about the Pro model and the new fin they are making thats inbetween the Hybrid and Pro. I know it's a holiday But I'm hoping for some info. I asked for pic to compare the sizes of these two if possible. I'll let you know when I get a response. THANKS

easy

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2015, 07:08:15 AM »
Have both the Elite and Hybrid -> both work fine for distance touring and DW in 20-30 kts.  Board feel is slightly more stable dampened and slower.  The Elite we sometimes put on our Bullet -> and Hybrid stays put on our SB Touring Carbon.  We currently have 4 boards and interchange 6 fins between them.  By swapping out fins you can change the handling characteristics enough to feel a difference -> but have sorted to basically only using 1 or 2 fins per board.

One of the local sponsored riders DW uses a Hybrid on his custom 25 to give him a touch more stability.  It is all about fun - going fast - and staying dry anyways so why not put on a fin that you know will work in all conditions.  Small conditions we put on the 8.3 -> rough we put on the Elite.  Works a charm and board planes like crazy anyways.   ;)

Eagle,
  How well does the Bullet turn with the Elite on it?  Have you ever tried the Futures Runner JB Keel fin for rough water.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2015, 10:33:41 AM »
Have tested the Keel fin and found it to be extremely fast for ocean flat water.  With such a low depth there is not much of a leading edge to create drag.  The con is reduced stability.  In slop and chop and DW the fin had difficulty holding a line across a wave.

We find that 8-9" of depth is about right for our mediocre balance.  The SIC 8.3 in big rough conditions works but just requires more concentration to stay dry.  Oscillations do occur faster with a small fin. 

In our pic above you see an orange dolphin fin -> that is our SB Race 23 from our pintail Touring Carbon.  Since that board yaws we put on the Hybrid to increase tracking.  Our deep vee Dominator tracks like crazy already so we swap the Race 23 to loosen up the tail for more maneuverability and turns across waves.  We use these boards for 2 mi out and back DW runs close to home.  Really helps to improve our balance -> and makes hopping on a Bullet and M-14 a breeze.

Since in 20-30 kts you are mostly planing on the Bullet -> the Elite turns plenty and you want stability.  In 10-15 you need to be careful the tip does not catch and broach in steep waves -> it will be resistant to sliding and releasing.  The angle on the wave and edge weighting becomes crucial to stay dry.   Do not have the JB Runner but it looks hard to turn.  The trailing edge cut outs on the Gladiator fins help the fin to release for easier turning.

https://futuresfins.com/en-us/keel-large-carbon-fiber-9010-400-12-detail

https://futuresfins.com/en-us/runner-jb-keel---carbon-fiber---carbon-neon-yellow-9004-419-12-detail
Fast is FUN!   8)

HanaSurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2015, 12:44:25 PM »
The first fin you linked Large Keel Carbon Fiber is the one I tried from a friend ...I did lose a lot of stability. It seems these boards like a fin shape kinda like the Sic fin which the Gladiator is similar and has the cut outs for manuverability like you said.
 Eagle,you said 8-9 inches working good. The Elite is 9" and Hybrid is 8.5" with a lot of volume. Supgladiator got back with me and said their new fin was 8" with a smaller volume and tip. I emailed back and asked for pics for coparison to the Hybrid. Hope to get some this week end. As I said,the stock Sic fin and the Ninja are plenty of fin for me doing Downbreezers in the ICW. I want slightly smaller fin than the Sic for the Touring use of the F14. If I get picI'll try to post and see what you think of the 8 for touring.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2015, 02:27:11 PM »
We just use the SIC 8.3 for anything small in the ocean -> say up to 15 kts.  The wind and waves always pick up here anyways - so that fin is versatile enough and plenty forgiving for most conditions.  It is fast - weedless - and has DW hold.

Your F14 is inherently stable with surf nose and 30" -> so would use a small fin to decrease drag.  Maybe the SIC 7.0 is an option.  Alternatively would maybe go for a Pro or Rojas if wanting a Gladiator.  Have not tested those 3 fins so cannot say definitively.

We have 3 fins about the size of the 8.3 -> and 3 bigger.  For our use that works a charm.  Around here on CL you can always find deals when others unload fins that do not work for them.  Generally the fins are small like the Keel or Pro.  We agree with TG in that learning how to use what you have -> can be better than trying to relearn and buy performance.  At this stage we are very content with our SUP equipment since it does everything we need it to do.

Once you get any equipment dialed in - SUP skiing SB -> it becomes all fun.   :)
Fast is FUN!   8)

HanaSurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2015, 02:38:39 PM »
The Glad Pro looks like it might work for low wind touring in Intercoastal Waterway like I do. Here are pics I just got and the 8" looks like maybe a good choice too as compared to the Hybrid and Elite.

HanaSurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2015, 01:57:29 PM »
Eagle,I see in your pics the Hybrid and Pro. In pics I posted largest fin is the Hybrid,middle fin is the new fury,and the smallest fin is the pro. I stated wrong in my description above pics.
 For TOURING only do you think the new fin(middle one) or the pro would be my best bet?? I just don't want to lose too much stability even for touring. THANKS

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2015, 02:24:14 PM »
Since we just use our 8.3 even when flat in the ocean we cannot give you a truly informed answer.  But based on those images would go for the smallest one which would be the pro.  The descriptions in the links below seem quite representative based on our usage of the Elite and Hybrid -

http://sup-gladiator.theshoppad.com/#/product/sup-gladiator-pro-model

http://sup-gladiator.theshoppad.com/#/product/sup-gladiator-rojas-fin
Fast is FUN!   8)

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2015, 04:48:28 PM »
This pic may help -

The fin behind is the Hybrid vs the 8.3.  The base is longer on the Hybrid which adds tracking -> and the area at the tip is larger which adds hold.  If you can play with your image above and resize overlay - you should be able to get a good idea how the smaller Gladiator fins compare to help you decide.

For flat we move the 8.3 as far back as possible to add tracking -> DW right forward to speed turning.  Still think the SIC 7.0 would work also.   ;)
Fast is FUN!   8)

HanaSurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2015, 06:07:35 PM »
I think you are right about the Pro model or the Sic 7.0 for the F14. I still want a Fury 8" for my Riviera Voyager though. The Hybrid is too much fin for the Voyager most days I'd go out. Thanks for the overlay,helps with size visualization a lot. Looks like Sic 8.3 is as tall as the Hybrid just less volume.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2015, 01:08:12 PM »
Thanks for the overlay,helps with size visualization a lot. Looks like Sic 8.3 is as tall as the Hybrid just less volume.

Correct.   :)
Fast is FUN!   8)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal