Author Topic: ahh labor day weekend  (Read 7567 times)

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
ahh labor day weekend
« on: September 04, 2015, 11:54:36 AM »
end of summer for tourists  beginning of summer  for locals...Just surfed today had a blast  windy early but it will be my last time i on  boards for t probably the next 3 days at least till Tuesday.. Lots of strange faces in the water today.  but everyone was friendly!   so will stay away from the beach because of the holiday  or will you tough it out?
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: ahh labor day weekend
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2015, 12:09:29 PM »
Surf looks pretty lousy around here this weekend, so I'll probably do some inland paddling rather than fight the crowds for mediocre waves. We'll get better waves and smaller crowds over the next few months.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2015, 03:39:04 PM »
Here in OC, we are expecting solid overhead surf.  So I'll do super early dawn patrol at the less popular spots and be out of the water well before 8, when the hoards begin to take over. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

andygere

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Waveyarder Hollow Wood SUP build
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2015, 05:58:47 AM »
In  early and out early.  Too many boards on roofracks during my brutal commute home last night...

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2015, 01:05:56 PM »
well encinitas and cardiff i are crazy  every plate is out of state or  from LA
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2015, 02:43:19 PM »
Went out with reservation to Privates/Sharks at 8AM, had to park some distance from the gate due to vehicles.

I thought it would be too crowded, and it was, but lots of waves, some looking head and maybe slightly above, and clean up sets made it a decent session.I was able to grab a few minor leaguers though gave up many more.

Kirk of L41 was out.  It is a pleasure to watch him because he is the consummate board stylist.  When I get close enough, I examine his footwork.  I also like to see his rolloffs.  He never hogs waves, lets lots pass by, never drops in, and still manages to catch a number of good rides.

I like watching Steve's (Southwesterly) cutbacks on his Hammer, too, he came out later.

I am now managing to do some minor cutbacks when the waves permit, so slow progress still progressing but going in the right direction.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 03:00:00 PM by SUPcheat »
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

PDLSFR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2015, 03:25:20 PM »
Tourists gone after monday, same thing with lifeguards (gone after monday) so we can surf the whole beach, all we need is waves, been flat for weeks !!
Infinity RNB 8'2
Ron House 9'7
Ron House 10'7
Infinity New Deal 10'
Custom Infinity New Deal 10'
VEC 11'
Focus Bluefin 14'

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2015, 04:16:18 PM »
Tourists gone after monday, same thing with lifeguards (gone after monday) so we can surf the whole beach, all we need is waves, been flat for weeks !!
That's cause you have a new board waiting to get wet. We caught some really fun waves in RI while we were back. "Crowded" too, with about 6 others out. Ahhh I miss the New England water. Moving back in December, just in time for some surf and probably a long awful winter. Can't wait!

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2015, 04:54:20 PM »

Yes!   And lifeguards will finally quit blackballing hardboards in favor of swimmers. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

supthecreek

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2015, 06:22:38 PM »
Labor Day ain't what it used to be..... seemed pretty lame to me around here today. It's busier in February in my local Pub.

Monday.... yep... the lifeguards leave..... and the REALLY big Great White begin to arrive.

Waves look small - clean for the next 4 days, so life is good!

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2015, 07:09:57 PM »
Creek, I hate to break this to you, but Labor Day isn't until Monday.  ;)  There's still time for your spot to become a zoo. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

supthecreek

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2015, 04:21:25 AM »
it's already a zoo.... it's the feeding time that gets interesting  ;D

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2015, 09:38:09 AM »
Playin' in the holiday traffic here on Long Beach Island, NJ.

The "Fun Section"!

Different crafts all over.
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2015, 03:37:30 PM »
Today, Sunday, was crazy crowded at Privates and Sharks.  Real waves and real energy on the water, but so elusive because of the crowds. The usual weekend people paddling around at random in the break zones, acting a bit doofus but happy, in the way in every way.

Even though I was kooking and my balance was bad today, Hokua Girl seemed to think I was the pied piper and followed me to every dribble of lone wave I could find then took up the primary drop in spot, then a few others would show up.  I was wondering if she just wanted to block me.

Managed to get some real rides even though I was generally a flailing mess, a couple of them prone pop ups when the big ones hit me while I was down.  The tide never really went out because of the energy, and it was choppy throughout the session.  I spent too much time on the inside and got badly worn out just trying to get back out.

By the time I left about 12ish, I was beaten up and chastised by the chop and white water.  The beach at Privates was covered with boards and they were still streaming in like ants, with the water covered with bobbing bits of surfer.  I wish I had some poop, because they left open a  small corridor in the outside area of Privates.  I probably would have caught one wave, though, then had the usual company.

Maybe there will be interesting carnage at 41st Street, I may go down there to watch after getting rested.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 03:56:12 PM by SUPcheat »
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2015, 09:16:52 AM »
Labor Day festivities!

One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal