Author Topic: SUS paddle location  (Read 2400 times)

Rakky

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
SUS paddle location
« on: September 03, 2015, 08:41:26 PM »
Hello Zoners, 
came to Maui on Monday for the week, and have been out in Kihei SUSing.  Good swell, and fun to ride the waves and get better. 

I have a few questions: 

1)  While I was waiting for the waves, I kept the board a little off to the side so that I can turn quickly.  Is it better/easier to balance if the paddle is in the water on the swell side or the beach side, to keep the balance and be ready to turn? 

2) Do you turn the side you want to ride?  I am goofy footed.  I prefer riding to the left.  So...should I turn the board from facing the waves, to the right (clockwise - if assuming the ocean is at 12), and then paddle on the Left a few times to catch the wave, and ride it Left? 

3) Once I caught the wave, it was difficult to turn the board (I was renting a Naish 10 ft Mana).  I was leaning in to ride Left.  Should I have been further back?  But the board was not riding well - and often I had to move forward on the board, as the wave broke. 

4) How do you turn these bigger boards quickly?  I lost a few waves, as I was not turning fast enough, by just paddling on one side. 

Thanks for any input. 
Starboard widepoint 8'10. 
I'm 5'11 and 185 = high BMI

standuped

• Sunset Status
  • Zapotocky family values
    • View Profile
Re: SUS paddle location
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 09:01:46 PM »
Make sure you are allowing ample distance from other surfers. 
Florida gear.. Bic 12'x31"~207L.. JP Fusion 10'8"x34"~190L..Angulo custom 9'6"x33"~160L.. SIC Fish 9'5"x29.6"~145L..Epic gear elite paddle~7"x75"..Oregon gear..JP Fusion#2..Foote Triton 10'4"x34"~174L.. Surftec Generator 10'6"x32.3"~167L..Kialoa Pipes 6 3/8"x75"...Me 6'1" 220 lbs circa 1959

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 09:30:21 PM »
1.) While I'm waiting for waves I generally face into the chop if there is any. I tend to paddle in circles because I feel I have to do something between sets. If I see a set pop up, I immediately try to read where the frame might be and how soon it will break. Next is positioning yourself. If it looks off to the left, I'll start paddling over that way. Here is where experience and timing pay off. Based on where you feel the frame will first break and how fast you can paddle, you pick a spot you want to get to. Once you get to that spot, you may be late. If you're late then you will more than likely be parallel to the wave making a long sweeping turn into it. If you are turning left to catch the wave, your paddle will more than likely be on your right side. Here's where #2 comes in.

2.) Dictated by step #1, you're now paddling into the wave sort of back side for (goofy foot) you. You should just keep paddling on the right side till you catch the wave. Once your facing the shore you can then decide wither or not to go front or backside, and switch paddle sides at that point accordingly. 

3.) Turning. First of all, a Mana is no performance board. I can turn it, but I weight 240#. The volume and rail shape of a Mana is going to prevent you from making a hard turn. You just can't bury that much rail.

4.) If you're out there to surf, try to find a more surf specific board. Thinner rails and narrower.

5.) Be respectful of the line-up. Wait your turn, try not to block anyone, sit outside the break while you try to figure out the players to watch, and the players to watch out for.

6.) Have fun out there. Enjoy your trip.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 09:36:55 PM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Rakky

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 10:51:06 PM »
Thanks for the input.  I give others plenty of room, especially if they are faster to the wave, and on to the wave. 
Starboard widepoint 8'10. 
I'm 5'11 and 185 = high BMI

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2015, 09:28:27 AM »
You can turn a Mana pretty well if you use good longboard technique.  To start a turn, step back so your rear foot is within 6 inches of the very tail.  Plant you foot on the left rail to turn left and vise versa.  Don't keep your foot in the center, put it on a rail.  Push the rail down and lean just a little, not too much.  If you can manage it, plant your paddle on the side of the direction you want to go.   You will find that the Mana will not slash because it is not a performance board, but it will turn pretty nicely. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

jumpfrom13k

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2015, 05:39:38 PM »
I'm a goofy foot, I hold paddle to the left and paddle on the left hand side whenever I catch frontside wave. I keep my paddle to the right and paddle on the right side whenever I catch backside wave, so that I don't have to switch hands while I'm dropping in.

When I catch frontside wave, the position of paddle isn't really important, but whenever I catch backside wave, having the paddle right there to brace while dropping in helps out big time.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal