Author Topic: Steep and Deep Pow Days Ahead  (Read 3539 times)

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Steep and Deep Pow Days Ahead
« on: September 03, 2015, 06:48:20 PM »
Since our peak summer DW inflow season is tapering off -> we are looking for some steep deep bottomless pow days ahead up in Whistler and Cypress -  :)

http://globalnews.ca/news/2200134/snow-falls-at-whistler-blackcomb/

http://youtu.be/qSVDbeDMQcw
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Steep and Deep Pow Days Ahead
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 07:37:01 PM »
I'm not there yet...amped about this winter thing soon to be here. Summer was too busy and too short for me and really not lots of summer weather for any amount of time but I have still caught myself thinking about the upcoming season, as I always seem to about this time of year.
Forecast high temps in the general region this weekend are high 40's to low 60's with the word "snow" in some forecasts.
Ever feel like a squirrel sometimes, always getting ready for winter?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqcT_zn_-4Q

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 08:56:48 PM »
Temps here are finally dropping as we have been in a major drought all summer.  We are still at a Stage 3 water conservation level - in supposedly wet rainy Vancouver!

Grew up skiing here -  then transitioned to hard and soft SB.  The jumps in this vid are way over my pay grade -> but the steep clean pow - ooooh so tasty and nice.   Very lucky indeed - and very fun.  Still enjoy skiing steeps -> but really look forward to the powder and SB.  No other feeling like it - tip and carve - over and over - like a magic carpet ride.   :)

http://youtu.be/5oGE3Uz_rN0
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2015, 04:30:22 AM »
It's weird, I used to love winter, but since I can't ski how I like anymore (point em and go) I've become the old man that grumbles at the 1st snowflake. After last winter of dealing with it I can't wait to retire so I can escape it in the winter.....boardshorts are what I'm after.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2015, 06:02:34 AM »
hope to get my usual freshies at alta this years--got skunked two for two trips last year--we are due for some deep
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

cnski

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2015, 06:32:51 AM »
Alta was really disappointing last season and pretty bad the last three years for the most part. I'm seriously considering moving it's been so bad. But it still does better than most in a low snowfall year. You really have to chase the storms to get the goods. I know many east and west coast guys who show up at Alta on all the good pow days. That gets expensive I'm sure. But I don't think money is an issue to those dudes. I chase the storms too. Storms from New Zealand and French Polynesia that lap onto the shores of SoCal. Hey that reminds me, I better get my tires rotated and get packed up!

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2015, 06:53:25 AM »
check the 3 year avg--worst ever--scares me--always thought climate change stood to increase lake effect snowfall--this chart says otherwise--lived at alta 78-79, an amazing year--haven't not skiied there any years since.
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2015, 06:52:15 PM »
Ok.......getting there.
If we're going to have short days and crap weather.......it might as well be cold and snow.
Stay cold.
Just wish it didn't stretch the damn thing out for 6 more months.
Saw a few shots of Tahoe and Utah also.
Looking good, especially Tahoe.
(nothing against sunny, warm, or tropical by any stretch. Give me sunshine any day.)
Tuesday. Top of Rendevous Mountain.
Gotta be twice as much by now.

cnski

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2015, 07:07:19 PM »
Great shot Lucabrasi. I heard you guys did well with that storm. It split before it hit us. Boo

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2015, 04:42:40 AM »
the el nino split--where sun valley, of all places, and taos have snow--and ut wy dont!  let's hope we dont get wishboned this year

i am a stubborn loyal little cottonwood person--i will be there regardless
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2015, 06:13:16 AM »
I heard you guys did well with that storm. It split before it hit us. Boo
the el nino split--where sun valley, of all places, and taos have snow--and ut wy dont!  let's hope we dont get wishboned this year
East, trust me.....WY got it. I woke up to 8" at my house this morning. Valley floors are now blanketed, at least for now. Photo I posted is WY. I know it looks much different up there today.
Ski, I saw that split last week. We usually get the storms from the NW but we got that storm that blew over Tahoe. Didn't really notice the split then but now that you say it I do remember it spliting in the desert somewhere on the weather map at the time. I just noticed it flowing this way. I also did find it strange that Tahoe had oodles more than Utah.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2015, 10:43:12 AM »
strange times in the snow world--i want a reversion to a 500 inch mean at alta this year--we are due
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal