Author Topic: Simmons adjustment tips  (Read 7057 times)

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Simmons adjustment tips
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2015, 11:59:36 AM »
As was said, it really only takes about 6" on this board. I was really over reacting and once I got a bit more still, it felt great. The whole key to standing, paddling and surfing this board is smaller moves. But yeah that back foot has to move around a bit more than usual.

The bigger wave was a revelation, I can't wait for tomorrow. Trust the Force, Luke.
Yes, this is what I find with my Simmons inspired "Retro"....moving my 6'1"/200+ lbs, around too much on the 7'8"x30"x4-3/8" board (especially too far to the tail) just slowed things down way too much. 

As you said, "it really only takes about 6" on this board" to keep it in proper trim, keep the speed up....and I find the "back foot has to move around a bit more than usual" is more side-to-side to hang over whichever rail, instead of front to rear. 

Worrying about stepping all the back onto the kickpad, I find just puts too much weight rearward in my case on such a short/wide board, and stalls it just way too much, and then I'm really having to hustle to get it back on plan, and back up to speed fast enough to make the next section.

I guess it would be fine if I was trying to ride it like a longboard, but because of its short length, and my fat arse....going forward in any attempt to nose-ride, simply turns moving things forward into an almost instant "nose-dive" instead, and I'm going under with it.   :o :)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 12:04:51 PM by SanoSup »
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2015, 07:33:35 PM »
Swapped my find for some Fiberglass Fin Co. keels. It was a revelation and also I've continued to dial things in.

I found that foot on the rail as has been said but in small waves a foot from the kick pad, over the front fin will make the board snap around. Also, you can push these smaller lighter boards around when you need to make an adjustment.

Today I hit my stride on some waist high waves. I kicked out  backside and almost the whole board left the water on the way over the wave, and a kid teaching his friend to surf said, "nice move."

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2015, 10:36:40 AM »
Swapped my find for some Fiberglass Fin Co. keels. It was a revelation and also I've continued to dial things in.

I found that foot on the rail as has been said but in small waves a foot from the kick pad, over the front fin will make the board snap around. Also, you can push these smaller lighter boards around when you need to make an adjustment.

Today I hit my stride on some waist high waves. I kicked out  backside and almost the whole board left the water on the way over the wave, and a kid teaching his friend to surf said, "nice move."

When I had my 8-4 shaped I had Larry work with Vec (shaper) to get the Keels placed. They are way back on the tail. The board turns fastest with my foot just in front of it. I haven't even bothered trying any other fins. I think the twin keels are perfect.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2015, 07:32:28 PM »
It's probably mostly just because of my weight that i don't move around on my L41 much. I find the sweet spot for trimming the board is so small. For me to stand on the think I have to get my front foot in the right position. Once I'm up I shuffle around a bit to perfect the trim, but in a wave just shifting my weight forward and back gives me all the trim I need for my weak-ass turns. I move my back foot a lot, rail to rail and further back on the tail to tighten turns, but the front foot is glued in place.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2015, 09:22:50 PM »
Pono, I'm seeing that too nownthat you say it. I seem to be just extending my stance.

The keels are part of a quad set. I haven't run it as a twin yet, I'll do that when my baby moon keels are done. (Build thread coming on those.)

These were an eBay find and they are awesome. I was using cheap plastic test fins. I can't express to folks who haven't played with fins how much difference it can make. If you're running stock, spend a little bread on some fins.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 09:24:53 PM by surfcowboy »

adler

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2015, 04:52:25 PM »
Up until now I've been riding a traditional shape 9'6", and have been itching to get something shorter. I picked up a local craiglist find, an L5'ish 7'3" x 25.5".  Took it out for the first time this morning; when I can stand up long enough to catch a wave, man this thing is sweet. So fast, so quick in the turns. Just standing up while paddling though...

I'm hoping a few more sessions will sort this out, but out of curiosity, where and how do you Simmons guys stand? I'm finding myself a little forward of the handle, still doing the normal perpendicular shoulder-wide stance. I need to try mixed surf stance I suppose?

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
foiled again
Today at 07:32:24 AM
B-Walnut
Today at 07:18:48 AM
foiled again