Author Topic: pfd enforcement & Harbor Patrol  (Read 2314 times)

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
pfd enforcement & Harbor Patrol
« on: September 02, 2015, 01:56:15 PM »
Today, I was paddling back into Newport on the/my right side of the channel.  I had a leash on, but didn't have a pfd.
Coming right toward me was one of the red Harbor Patrol boats.  I actually headed closer to the breakwater.  They just adjusted their course toward me.  I thought this can't be good.  I slowed down figuring they were going to talk with me.  They were probably 20 feet away as they passed by me.  Yup, they just kept going. 
I waved at them.  They waved back. 
You can speculate all day about why they didn't say anything at all.  But, it sure seems to give me the all clear to continue paddling here without a pfd.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
Re: pfd enforcement & Harbor Patrol
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2015, 03:05:41 PM »
I guess they're not all Barny Fifes.

The one time I was stopped, the cop told me he wasn't authorized to give tickets, just advice. He said I looked perfectly capable of swimming to shore if I had to. It's funny how you can swim anywhere you want without a pfd, but as soon as you stand on a board with a paddle in your hand you are supposed to carry a pfd. You can paddle the board with your hands and the rule doesn't apply, but as soon as you pick up a paddle you are subject to the law.

It's a ridiculous rule that should be removed from the books.

Thank goodness for sensible cops who can overlook it.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 03:10:14 PM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 03:30:35 PM »
If that is Newport Harbor in Newport Beach.  I've had many similar experiences there.
I always wear a leash and they wave and go by.  One time, I was doing a "downwinder" -
it was incredibly windy with huge wind swells in Newport Harbor.  A Patrol boat came
right by me but just waved and went on.  I decided that they must think you are ok,
if you have a leash.

(not so with Dana Harbor, pretty sure you have to have a pdf there)
Jimmy Lewis Black & Blue Noserider 10'1"x31"x4.25," 164 liters, 24 lbs, 1 box
Pearson Laird Surftech Longboard 10'6"x23"x29.75"x18"x4.375," 154 liters, 24 lbs, 3 boxes
Takayama Ali'i II Surftech 11'x21.375”x28.5”x17.25”x 4.25,” 162 liters, 26 lbs, 3 boxes

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 03:56:31 PM »
I had about 6 months of meetings here with the City Fire Department (they are the ones who patrol our river) many years ago to educate them about SUP and leash use. 
To this day if they see you on the river with a leash they leave you alone.  Only other requirement was / is a "sounding devise" - whistle. 

Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 04:38:47 PM »
Yes, Newport Beach.  Subber--Where do you usually launch from?  What do you paddle?  I used to have a Starboard Free Race.  It was skinny at both ends.  Even tho I wasn't very stable on it, I enjoyed paddling troward the ocean.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2015, 05:42:24 PM »
Used to be they would only say something in winter but with the number of boards around these days they do check and will say something if you are any distance offshore.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2015, 06:01:50 PM »
Yes, Newport Beach.  Subber--Where do you usually launch from?  What do you paddle?  I used to have a Starboard Free Race.  It was skinny at both ends.  Even tho I wasn't very stable on it, I enjoyed paddling toward the ocean.

I used to be down there about five days per month.  Usually, I could go out only in the afternoon - so, as you know
surf was usually blown out.  One favorite launch site is the Coast Guard base on Bayside drive, although getting parking
can be tricky in the late afternoon during the summer because of the outrigger canoe paddlers - it was very popular
this summer.   From there, I'd usually paddle around Little Balboa Island and then out among the moored boats.  If there
was a swell running into the harbor, I'd paddle out to the entrance and get a boost from the swell coming back in.

I flat paddle kind of leisurely, well, compared to when I'm paddle surfing.

If I had gone to Blackies and it was no good, I'd drive over to around 14th street and launch into the bay there.  Paddle around the moored boats.   I grew up in Newport Beach and sailed a lot and it brings back a lot of fond memories.

Just the Laird listed below.  When I was just beginning, and sometimes still, I practice my turning for waves and cross-stepping, etc for surfing.
Jimmy Lewis Black & Blue Noserider 10'1"x31"x4.25," 164 liters, 24 lbs, 1 box
Pearson Laird Surftech Longboard 10'6"x23"x29.75"x18"x4.375," 154 liters, 24 lbs, 3 boxes
Takayama Ali'i II Surftech 11'x21.375”x28.5”x17.25”x 4.25,” 162 liters, 26 lbs, 3 boxes

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2015, 12:02:21 PM »
After school starts and family summer vacations start to slow down, you can usually find parking on Balboa Island.  I found a spot just a few blocks from downtown 2nd space from the water a couple of Sundays ago.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal