Author Topic: Rail Tape Woes  (Read 7600 times)

JeffG

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Rail Tape Woes
« on: September 02, 2015, 12:41:21 PM »
I got some rail tape for my new X14 Pro and tried two different methods of applying it to my board based off online tutorials.  I guess I'm just not that handy but I could not get the tape to go on correctly.  I think my board would have been better off if I never tried to put rail tape on it.  It has a new paint chip due to taking tape off.  How necessary is tape anyway?  Is it just to prevent cosmetic blemishes for the most part?  It seems like you would have to wack your board awfully hard to damage it enough to let water in.  Do any of you guys NOT use rail tape?  This is my first high end carbon board and it is disheartening to see how quickly it gets dinged up.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: Rail Tape Woes
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2015, 02:34:56 PM »
Is it the real RSPro rail saver? I had to do it a couple times on one side to get it right but it was easy once I realized you can work it to get the wrinkles out. If the tape took off a chip it was almost certainly already loose before you put it on there. I personally will not buy another board without ordering some RSPro to go on it.

I found the easiest way is to stick one end on and then just use your thumb to press along the centerline as you keep it taught and follow the rail. Then go back to the start and work your way down the board smoothing it. I think the texture of the RSPro surface is the secret to the ease of working it, allows it to compress/stretch slightly without wrinkling.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 02:37:46 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 03:23:52 PM »
I bought the Surfco rail tape from PSW for my new Blair and can not get it to go on without wrinkles.  I have given up and left the wrinkles in there.  Ugly, but still effective. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 04:37:36 PM »
The answer is to get the RSPro. I've done 4 boards now....no wrinkles and easy on. There is no question it protects the board, also makes it look great. My Foote has exposed carbon for the last 3rd of the board. I put on the black RSPro with a white graphic....looks badass IMO and not a mark on my board since adding it. I put the jumbo wide on my 8-4 Vec since it's fairly thick, went on easy....again no wrinkles.

It costs more no question but worth every dime to me.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 04:55:30 PM »
Race car application of Prancing Horse Decals. Spray soapy water on the RSP and on the rails, sponge off the excess, apply. No bumps, no bubbles, no muss, no fuss.

Use a squeegee, or a wax comb, to remove the excess water.

I believe Robert at Blue Planet has a tremendous video on this topic.

The awful surftec nubbly stuff absolutely ruined my Focus smoothy OBTW...
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 04:58:07 PM by mrbig »
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2015, 06:15:33 PM »
I can help with Rail Tape WOES
We offer our ZONER on Rail Tape too

JimK
Extreme Windsurfing

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2015, 06:22:17 PM »
I just ordered some RSPro tape for my X-14 Pro. Haven't got it yet, but I'll let you know how it goes.

I've used some wide, thick helicopter tape in the past, and I would never try a dry application again. Dry, the tape was very difficult to apply without creasing, and any effort to remove and reset would rip paint off with it. I made a solution of water, soap, and alcohol, which I read is what the solution for installing cell phone screen protectors is made of, and sprayed that on the sticky side of the tape. It was much easier to adjust the tape on the rails as I laid it down wet, and when I was done, there was very little bubbling and no creases.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2015, 06:35:35 PM »
It's very easy to put on..  :)

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2015, 06:38:07 PM »
It's very easy to put on..  :)

Unless you are a dolt.  Probably depends on the brand.  I haven't seen the Surfco stuff much before.  Should have gotten RSPro.
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2015, 06:46:27 PM »
You can probably do RSPro wet, but you don't need to. You can pick it up and put it back down again. The wet approach is for stuff you can't reposition.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

JeffG

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2015, 07:12:45 AM »
I was using ISC Helicopter tape.  Trying to save money.  Thought it was basically the same thing as RSPro.  I'm thinking of just taping my paddle blade and call it good.

surfKnobby

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2015, 07:29:57 AM »
I was using ISC Helicopter tape.  Trying to save money.  Thought it was basically the same thing as RSPro.  I'm thinking of just taping my paddle blade and call it good.
Agree. I hate rail tape. I've never used it but I work at a shop that uses lots of helicopter tape and i've seen what it can do to a board when it gets peeled off. Stay stock - stay happy.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2015, 08:28:26 AM »
RSPro is just something in your trick bag to solve a problem. Some people don't whack their rails. Great, don't use it. Some people don't mind taping their paddle (I hate tape on a paddle). I think helicopter tape is never a solution. It doesn't cushion the whacks enough, so the paint shatters under the tape and when you peel it up the rail knocks come with it. Seems pointless to me. We've been all over the advantages of RSPro. I use it on all my new boards and any old board that I'm fixing up to not look so scabby. My SIC 11'11" Recon (very useful board) didn't get RSPro and it looks like squirrels have been gnawing on it. Stupid, because I have a spare roll of RSPro in the shop, but it's a little late for that unless I figure on NEVER taking the RSPro off.

It's a great product. It's expensive, but every time I've dodged the expense I've regretted it.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2015, 08:43:26 AM »
What he said.

This is not your average helicopter tape based on what others are saying of helicopter tapes performance vs my (and many others) experience with RSPro. If my board didn't have RSPro on it the rails would look like shit anyway. And even if the day comes that I have to take it of for some reason and some cracked paint comes off with it....so what...it would have anyway and I no doubt managed to avoid worse damage by having it on there in the meantime. Staying stock would do nothing for my happiness..... ;)
Bob

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2015, 08:51:50 AM »
i have used naish and other brand rail tape, and recently switched to rail saver pro.

no joke--the rsp, on every level, is night and day superior.

the other rail tapes are basically worthless, compared to rsp.

Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal