Author Topic: What size Sunova Speeed should I get?  (Read 16544 times)

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: What size Sunova Speeed should I get?
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2015, 01:56:51 PM »
Good point, Mr. Big.

As far as speed goes, do you think the extra 5" of length in the 8'10" will add more speed than the extra 1.5" of width will subtract?

I'm definitely a lot heavier and even less coordinated in the winter, but then, I also surf a lot less in the winter too. I only get out on weekends or vacations when it's too dark to surf after work.

With the conflicting advice between 8'5 and 8'10, maybe I should split the difference and go 8'8.  :D

baddog

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2015, 05:33:34 PM »
Remember where you surf.

I'm no pro, but a 3/2 is the most rubber I'll put on in the winter.  Mr. Big's point is apropos, the 8'8" might be a good cold weather compromise.

nalu-sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2015, 07:23:58 PM »
I am going to add in another thought on the conservative side of the argument. This morning I paddled out on a new borrowed  8'3" 117 liter traditionally shaped board. Easy stable paddling out through white water and just standing around at the peak. I could surf it all day and never get my hair wet (though that would be boring). However it was not at all impressive on the wave, so I went in and got back on my 8'10" Speeed. Fell in love all over again; the Speeed was faster, glided onto the wave earlier, carved better, turned tighter, smoother rail to rail, and easy stable doing floaters off the white water. However, at 8'10" and 130 liters, the Speeed was less stable than the 117 liter 8'3" when the cross rollers came through, and I pretty much always had my paddle in the water doing some bracing. If I was just going to be surfing weekends and holidays, projecting in my mind the stability of the 8'10" down to an 8'5" would look pretty daunting for my balance skills, which had no problem on the 117L standard outline 8'3".
If you do decide on the 8'8", you will have to promise to be the first guy to give us a thorough review.
8'7" Sunova Flow 
8'8" Sunova SP25
9'0" Elua Makani
9'0" Tabou SupaSurf 
14' SIC Bullet 2020

supthecreek

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2015, 07:26:59 PM »
Hey BS..... been busy and kept missing this thread  ;D

I would say...... dun dun dunnnnnn .... 8'10

It's only 29" wide....so not going to be too big for you. It will be comfortable enough in winter... but not a cinch.

My friend Ryan is about 5'11 and 170lbs.... he loves his 8'10
re-read kayadogg's post.... he rides small boards.... if it was too big, he would tell you.

These boards turn so easily that you are not going feel it's too big. But you may think the 8'8 is more challenge than you want.
Don't think just numbers.... the shape, the rails, the weight all factor in. You will not be unhappy with the 8'10
a direct comparison to a board I know well and have a ton of respect for....the 8'10 Allwave
as far as stability goes? The Allwave is a floating dock compared to the Speeed. No comparison. Different animals altogether.

so.... my 2 cents? = 8'10....Get one... get on it.... time is awasting ;D

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2015, 07:58:09 PM »
Thanks, Creek! I think that's sealed the deal for me. Consensus among New Englanders seems to be go with the 8'10, and if it's considerably quicker and less stable than an 8'10 AllWave, then it's probably going to provide more than enough performance and challenge for me without going smaller. It should give me plenty of room to grow, and not frustrate me too much with re-gaining my balance each time I go a week or two between sessions in the winter.

Time to stop wasting time, indeed. 8'10 order will go out first thing tomorrow!  ;D

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2015, 07:22:39 AM »
8'10 seems like the way to go to me too and I think you definitely don't want to go any narrower than 29".

I've had my 8'5 World Wide for six months now and 30" is as narrow as I want to go with that board.  I can't wait to give the Speeed a try when you get it.
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

supthecreek

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2015, 07:35:41 AM »
The performance is light years different from the Allwave... like I said, it's not a "stability" board that surfs well, like the Allwave..... it's a flat out performance board.

I am heading to Hatteras next week, otherwise I'd run up to Jennis for a demo day..... too much traffic drama to make the run before Tuesday... and I'm leaving Wed.... sorry.

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2015, 07:55:07 AM »
It's a done deal.  Ordered my 8'10 with JimK this morning!

Can't wait for it to arrive!  Thanks fit the advice,  Creek, and have a great trip down south. I hear ya on the traffic. I'm thinking about heading down to Plymouth this weekend,  but even the labor day traffic on this side of the bridges is discouraging!

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

JohnnyMaya

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2015, 12:32:49 AM »
Hi again Board Stiff,

I'm happy that you've reached a decision. I'm sure that you'd be loving the board even if it were the 9'5 which is currently the biggest stock size Speeed that Sunova is making. They are that good.
The sizes i suggested were based on my findings when trying the 8'5. I thought it was stable enough for the length and super stable for it's width. I also think that our progression comes from stepping out of our comfort zone and pushing the envelope. Just think of supthecreek: while young at heart, he's not a kid anymore. He's also not a small stature man either. I can almost bet that if, one year ago, we were to tell him that right now he'd be surfing his board, he wouldn't believe it, but the fact is that he is.

It has nothing to do with being a good or bad surfer, beginner or pro. It simply has to do with being ambitious, and pushing yourself to your limits. And this is what surfing is to me, a constant challenge.

I'm looking forward to see some of your pictures flying on your new board!!!

Cheers,
Johnny

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2015, 04:58:11 AM »
Congrats! Onward ....
Ralph
Sup-position
(714) 899-3020 call, Text or Message

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2015, 07:40:44 AM »
Thanks, Johnny. I definitely appreciated your perspective and was torn between the larger and smaller sizes.

Ultimately, my thinking was that there are (at least) two ways to challenge myself on the water: going with a smaller/less stable board that will really challenge my balance; or pushing myself to try to do more on the wave or in bigger or rougher or tougher conditions.

The 8'10 is already lower volume, narrower, and less stable than anything I've surfed before, so it will definitely still provide some of the balance challenge, at least initially. And since it will be easier to adapt to that challenge, I'll be able to focus more effort on meeting the second challenge... learning to control myself and the board on the wave, which is what at this point I really want to improve most.

If I could get out there every day like Creek, I'd have gone with the smaller board and surely adapted my balance to it very quickly. But with less frequent sessions, I find that I often spend a lot of time re-aquiring my balance and not as much as I'd like improving my surfing. I think with the 8'10, I'll be able to get my sea legs quicker each session and spend more time catching waves and trying new things. And in a still very performance oriented shape (relative to what I've surfed before), this board still offers me a lot of potential for growth. :)

SUPladomi

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2015, 07:49:06 AM »
Damn it,

Told myself I would wait til next spring. Now I'm all hyped up and reconsidering. Let us know when it arrives.

baddog

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2015, 11:21:52 AM »
I have to fess up and seriously, it's because I am a surfer first; if it's windy or chopped up, I am always on a surfboard.  The Speed only comes out in ideal (clean and inconsistent) conditions.  It's been windy all summer, so I'm looking forward to some winter glass.  With a hooded 6/5/4, I'd probably end up on a 9'5":)

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2015, 11:40:49 AM »
B-Dog, Nah you and Johnny M. on the 8'2". Will loan drysuits. LOL!  ;D  ;D  ;D
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

JohnnyMaya

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2015, 03:41:30 AM »
B-Dog, Nah you and Johnny M. on the 8'2". Will loan drysuits. LOL!  ;D  ;D  ;D

No need. I'll be on my 7'11. Making sure i paddle enough to stay warm in our 10ºC air and 12ºC water in my 3/2 or 2mm wetties.
I really hate thick rubber!

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal