Author Topic: What size Sunova Speeed should I get?  (Read 16541 times)

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
What size Sunova Speeed should I get?
« on: September 02, 2015, 10:22:36 AM »
Hey Zoners,

I've been really intrigued by the reviews of the Sunova Speed lately and am thinking of adding one to replace my recently sold 2013 AllWave 8'10". With so many different sizes available in the 8' - 9' range, I could use some advice from those experienced with this board about which size to choose.

I'm 5'8", 170 lbs right now (been as low as 158 and as high as 185 over the past couple years) without gear. Heavier, obviously, with warm suit, boots, etc in the winter. I mostly SUS at Jenness Beach in Rye, NH or Long Sands in Kittery, ME. 90% of the time I'm out there, it's waist high or smaller, and usually pretty weak. I'd say my SUS skills are beginner/intermediate... I could balance comfortably on an 8'10 Allwave in most conditions, catch waves up to head high, make a bottom turn and go down the line, though I'd fall quite a bit too.

Lately I've been riding a 10'6 Naish Nalu. Very easy to balance on in all conditions, paddle through whitewater, and catch waves on, but it's very slow on the small, weak waves that I typically get out in. I'm thinking the Nalu will remain my rough condition or lazy day board when I don't want to worry about balancing too much, and the Sunova Speeed will be my goto board at least for small days when I need something speedier or when I want to continue to improve my SUS skills and performance. So I don't mind a size that's going to challenge my balance (I just went to a tippier race board too, so developing my balance is a priority for me anyway), but I'm almost 40 with no prior surf background and don't get out SUSing more than once every week or two on average, so I also need to be realistic about the progress I can make on a lower volume board.

The 8'10 seems to be the most talked about size on these forums. SUPtheCreek's reviews have been great, and his initial video of the small waves he tried it in looks a lot like the conditions I get out in.  Creek is a fair amount bigger than me but also tons more experienced on surfboards and SUPs than I'll ever be, so I'm not sure if these size and skill factors cancel each other out when extrapolating the proper board size for me. I recall someone else about my size posting that he had trouble burying the rails when turning on the 8'10, so I'm not sure if that argues for a smaller size. Also, all else equal, will a longer size be faster on very small waves, or is the length advantage negated by the increased width in the longer Speeeds? Anything else I should consider?

FWIW, playing around with the board volume calculator on Kings' website, it looks like the Speeed 8'10 would be a comfortable volume, the 8'5' would really be a stretch, and the 8'8 might be the sweet spot between challenging but possible.  ???

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: What size Sunova Speeed should I get?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2015, 11:24:58 AM »
I'm thinking 8'10" X 29-1/8", 130L
Should help you progress...
Ralph
Sup-position
(714) 899-3020 call, Text or Message

PDLSFR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 11:36:29 AM »
I'm thinking 8'10" X 29-1/8", 130L
Should help you progress...

After checking out Creek's board, I agree with Sup-position, 8'10 would work.
Infinity RNB 8'2
Ron House 9'7
Ron House 10'7
Infinity New Deal 10'
Custom Infinity New Deal 10'
VEC 11'
Focus Bluefin 14'

nalu-sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 11:40:43 AM »
I think that your last paragraph summed it up pretty well. One reason that you have not read much about the 8'8" is that it is a brand new size that was just announced within the last couple of months, so I don't think there are a lot of them out there yet, at least in this country.
When you are comparing sizes on the Speeed, I would suggest looking at width rather than length as being the biggest factor. When you are looking at volume, remember that width is even more important than volume when it comes to stability. I have a Starboard Air Born that is 8'8" @ 123 liters, same exact numbers as the 8'8" Speeed but wider. I could balance all day in a hurricane on the Air Born, but would not last thirty seconds on the 8'8" Speeed in wind and chop. Even though the 8'8" has plenty of volume for your weight, be sure that you are ready for 28 ½ wide. I would have gone for the 8'8" in a heart beat if it were the width of the 8'10" or wider, but I know that 28 ½ would be challengingly narrow for my skills on that board.
I cannot imagine anyone having trouble burying the rails on a Speeed because they are fairly thin. The board can be stiff to turn if you are standing too far forward along the straighter part of the rail line, but even then, getting the rails biting into the wave face is easy.
You are wise to factor in Creeks unreal skills to balance out the weight difference, but also remember that you are nearly 30 years younger than he or I, and that can make a big difference in your favor when taking on those balance challenges.
One last thought relative to how you describe the waves you are surfing and how you like to surf them. In my mind, the main advantage to going shorter is being able to surf more vertically top to bottom on a wave with tighter turns; I don't perceive going very short as being much of an advantage in small fast waves where you are mainly racing down the line to beat the closeout. If you have small fast peeling waves, the larger size should get you into the wave slightly earlier, with more time to set up to make the sections. The 8'10" is narrow enough that I don't think you would notice any more drag than on the 8'8".
Anyway, I think that your analysis in the final paragraph is spot on, so you could just base your decision on that. More comfort go the 8'10", more challenge and performance go the 8'8". I have been very happy with my choice of the 8'10", which is the perfect balance of performance and challenge for me at 29 ⅛ wide.
8'7" Sunova Flow 
8'8" Sunova SP25
9'0" Elua Makani
9'0" Tabou SupaSurf 
14' SIC Bullet 2020

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 12:10:52 PM »
Luc, are you taking into consideration your weight in full wetsuit gear? (Assuming you surf year round)... that may be the difference between the 8'10 and 8'8. For what it's worth, I paddled Creek's 8'10 Speeed in flat water over the weekend and while it was easy for me (190 lbs), I was really impressed that this is Creek's daily driver. That's not an insult, I've surfed with him many times over the years and I know how well he surfs. It's great to see him pushing his limits, especially at his age. It shows in everything he does. It certainly does not feel like an 8'10, it feels much shorter and that's just from paddling it for a very short time in flat water. The rails, nose and tail are thinned out nicely and it's LIGHT. Very impressed with it overall. I'm very happy with the boards I'm on but if I was in the market, I'd definitely narrow my focus to that board.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2015, 12:22:19 PM »
i would go smaller--i am not that skilled and 195lbs, 6'2", I was able to get right on creek's board, clumsily paddle and catch a knee high wave. I feel confident that, with some time, i could get pretty comfortable on it. and i've got none of the skillz creek has.

much as all my boards are 31+" wide, the skinnier speed didnt seem appreciably tippier, during my brief experience of it--i assume that's the tomo shape, and that there really is something to be said for that shape working for surprising stability.

i'd consult guru-creek for best advice.

i want a speed too, but have been having tons of fun finally dialing in my simsup.

Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2015, 12:26:27 PM »
it's funny--ive thought of selling my AW, and getting a speed, since (now repaired) the aw doesnt beckon me like the simsup---but i hesitate, given the rubber-weight and winds of winter. could be i prefer the extra beef of the aw when geared up in winter chop.
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2015, 12:29:25 PM »
As a balance  challenged guy who is comfortable on my JP slate at 29" wide; who has surfed  Jenness and LS a lot; understands 6 5 4 hooded winter fun; my two cents is that the 8'10" Speeed would be perfect for what you want to accomplish..

I look forward to seeing you, ake g, carribe, Jarvis, badger, and even feeter up there soon!!
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2015, 12:43:38 PM »
Thanks everyone for all the feedback!

I hadn't thought about width, and that's definitely a factor besides volume to consider. Since I'm more concerned with speed down the line than vertical ripping, longer might make more sense in that regard too. It's sounding like the 8'10 is thin and fast enough that I shouldn't let my dissatisfaction with the 8'10 AW in those areas spook me.

Eastbound - I hear what you're saying about keeping the AW for cold winter days. That's why I'll be hanging onto the Nalu!  :)

Mr. Big - I look forward to seeing you out there too. My alarm clock doesn't seem to work before 7 am, so look for me during evening or later weekend day sessions.  ;D

I hope to hear from the master (Creek) before making a final decision, but it sounds like I'll be giving JimK a call soon about the 8'10"  :)

baddog

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2015, 07:19:03 PM »
I think you'll find the 8'10" way too big.  I'm 160lb and am on the 8'5".  Surf wise, I could easily go lower.  Paddle around size, I wouldn't want to.  Lucky for me there were no in-between sizes to fret over when I got mine.

K-541`

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2015, 07:42:35 PM »
I really like my 8-10 it's my do it all surf sup I weigh 180 and iam always in a full suit at 130 lit. It's still a little to floaty would like it if a lot more water was covering the deck I think it would aid in the stability ,not a big deal but if  I could do it over I would order a custom 8-10 with the same volume as the 8-8  Sunova will do customs that's what their factory is all about.

JohnnyMaya

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2015, 09:29:14 AM »
Hey Board Stiff,

I'm 225lb, 6'3 and 36yo.
My board is a tweaked out 7'11 Speeed x 26 3/8" @ 101.6L

While I love it |(it is by far the best board i've ever had) and will go for something even more challenging on my next board, that's not everyone's cup of tea, as i don't mind sinking to my knees and struggling with balance in order to get some more performance.

Having said this, at your size and weight, even having a conservative approach, i wouldn't go any bigger than the 8'5. I would actually recommend considering the 8'2. More than 8'5 and i think you'll be wasting a nice opportunity to try something that is really manageable and surfs incredibly fast and easy.

The Speeed is a phenomenal board, with loads of speed and precision in the way you can surf it and it is pretty stable for it's length. The fact that is has a wide nose and a wide diamond tail with generous hips, make it stupid stable for how wide it is and as soon as you get used to the idea of such a narrow board, it is actually very easy to ride.
The moment you get your first wave on it, you understand all the hype around it and why everyone claims it is different from everything anyone has ever ridden.

Have fun,
Johnny

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2015, 11:42:54 AM »
easy johnny, I am trying NOT to buy one of these til at least next spring, and youre making it hard! difficult, i mena!

creek--now that you are thoroughly dialed into the 8'10", any regrets re length?
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2015, 12:13:11 PM »
Thanks, Johnny and Baddog for the counterpoints. Now I'm really torn!  :-\

On the one hand, the 8'5 Speeed, at 112L is 30L smaller than anything I've ever ridden regularly. I did hop on Badger's WorldWide, at 125L, a few weeks ago, and after falling a bunch was able to catch a few waves. 27-3/4" is also a lot narrower than any surf-style board I've been on.

On the other hand, it sounds like this shape is a lot more stable than it's weight and width would suggest, and I've been paddling a tippy, 26" race board recently. I've also just started learning to paddle and stand in a surf stance or narrow semi-surf stance to stay closer to the center line, and my balance has been progressing surprisingly quickly in that effort. I also made a bigger than expected jump from my first 11'6 board to the 8'10 Allwave fairly easily, and found that my balance and control on all boards was substantially improved after spending a year on that one.

So now I'm leaning towards the 8'5 or possibly the 8'8. I've always got the Nalu to fall back on when it's big and messy, right?  :)

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2015, 01:18:51 PM »
Remember where you surf. It would be interesting to get guys from Portugal and Southern California out in a NE winter event in a 6 5 4 hooded suit.

I mean no disrespect whatsoever. Both Johnny M. and Baddog can surf rings around me, but sometimes the advice from warm water semi pro sponsored riders does not really apply to ordinary folk. The wave at LS and Jenness is weak, weak, and weak. Did I saw weak, and the speeed of the 8'10" in waist high waves of that nature is what, I think, you would prefer.

If this was March, and you were planning for spring and summer the 8'5" might be a candidate, or a board that was just a little narrow for what you intend. We all like to progress, but winter in NE is usually a time to consolidate and assimilate what was learned in the other three seasons.

It's still only 130 liters last I looked:..
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal