Author Topic: Paddle Slipping  (Read 10026 times)

TEX_SUP

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Paddle Slipping
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2015, 05:02:02 PM »
Don't use anything, just buy a KeNalu paddle!

Works great in the South Texas heat and humidity.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2015, 09:45:53 AM »
yep--the kenalu wrapped shaft seems just right, gloved hand or not.
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2015, 10:27:33 AM »
The KeNalu shafts are great. I love them too especially because it is semi-one directional but they will eventually lose that grip. Not completely or at least not yet but it slowly goes away with wear. I've had mine longer than most and the one I use most (4 years of heavy use) is pretty smooth. Not to the point that I've bothered taping or otherwise enhancing the grip though, still works fine for me.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 10:32:39 AM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2015, 09:56:39 AM »
Here's another paddle option that also solves the problem...
Our paddles have been on the market for almost 5 years...and, I've used them extensively in warm tropical waters with no slipping...even on the hardest bottom turns...can't say that about previous brands of SUP paddles that we've carried...nothing worse than laying into a turn and slipping...

You can see in these images that the carbon shaft windings are nearly identical to KeNalu...our shafts on left...KeNalu on right...we call it "snakeskin"...;-)

Our full carbon paddles with either bamboo or basswood veneer on the carbon blade are $269 retail...same "snakeskin" shaft is used on our paddles with fiberglass blades...$199 retail...

http://supsports.com/sup-paddles

Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2015, 11:35:41 PM »
Did you find a solution yet? If not I found one that works great and it's CHEAP. I lightly sanded the shaft of my paddle a little and then I sprayed a very light coat of Krylon anti-skid in the spray can on it. http://www.amazon.com/Krylon-3400-Clear-Non-Skid-Coating/dp/B007RHA5KE (The Rustoleum stuff might work just as well.) It felt like 100 grit sand paper and it was a little too rough the first day cuz it kinda sanded my freaking hands raw in areas. So I sanded it very lightly the next day just to take off the sharp stuff and it's perfect now. My hands haven't slipped since then and I really like that I can dig deep without fear of my bottom hand slipping and me going ker-splat which is what used to happen once in a while. I hardly used any of the can to do it so I'll have plenty left over to spray on the nose of my next board. Get the clear.
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2015, 01:03:35 PM »
Soft cushioned rubber hockey tape. Real hockey, not I've hockey. I use Mercian supersoft. Pure luxury, and it protects your hands too.

Old School 213

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2015, 01:11:18 PM »

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2015, 07:20:46 PM »
Did anyone try bicycle bar tape? I'm thinking they are soft to the touch, have good grip, cheap and comes in many textures and colors.

I found the the leak sealer has too much grip and after few hours of paddling I get blisters.
in progress...

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2015, 07:43:37 AM »
Handlebar tape seems to work very well, this product in specific:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005UGAFDG?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01

It's lighter than the RSPro grip, half the price. It's also soft to the touch and not too grippy.
It holds well in the water and the perforation seems to help with dispersing the water from the grip.

One of those is enough for 4 paddles. 2 pieces, 84 inch each and all you need is 42inch to cover your usable area. You could also use the extra to apply at the top of the paddle if you use choke grip a lot.

It takes 2 minutes to apply, and comes with endless choices of colors and textures.
in progress...

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2015, 09:07:11 AM »
I tried it, it's nice for a short while but gets skanky fast. Ask anyone who knows me if I'm offended by a little skankiness--my truck usually smells like a fishmarket and I frequently am reduced to wearing the lesser of two evil rashguards, counting on a quick fall to mitigate the stench. So when I say the bar wrap gets skanky you can bet I'm not talking about a little gentle fungal foot odor.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2015, 10:09:33 AM »
I tried it, it's nice for a short while but gets skanky fast.

Did you try the fabric based or foam based like this one?
I used to ride with the fabric based on my bike and I know exactly the stench you're talking about. Never had an issue with the foam based so I thought i'll give it a go.
I'll keep track on that stench and report back.
in progress...

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2015, 12:02:31 PM »
I think it was foam. I guess water, sweat and mung gets sucked into the foam and the bacteria have a field day. Might make a good sourdough starter though.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2015, 03:46:31 PM »
If it gets skanky, just soak it with some diluted disinfectant and then scrub it clean using hair shampoo. Then you are good to go. Try not to leave your paddle somewhere where is will stay dank.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2015, 09:07:54 PM »
If it gets skanky, just soak it with some diluted disinfectant and then scrub it clean using hair shampoo. Then you are good to go. Try not to leave your paddle somewhere where is will stay dank.
I usually wash the equipment with fresh water after every outing anyway (in my bathtub to be exact). I'm a city boy
so there is no chance I'll leave the equipment anywhere other than the closet.

BTW, the grip tape gets completely dry in a matter of an hour, so no chance there will be stench due to damp.

If for whatever reason it will get skanky, I sure will try the shampoo... Nothing like a scented paddle to make your
time on the water unforgettable  :D
in progress...

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2015, 06:32:14 AM »
This bar tape setup (as seen above) is really working for me. After few weeks of hard usage it really made a difference.
I ditched the gloves all-together, it is better than any gloves I've used before.

I used to get blisters all the time but none since I switched to this. Slipping is not an issue any longer.

As for stench, there is none whatsoever. This tape dries faster than the QB EVA wrapped handle.

Highly recommended for peeps with slippage and/or blisters issues.
in progress...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal