Author Topic: downwind boards on a Leaf  (Read 5020 times)

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
downwind boards on a Leaf
« on: September 01, 2015, 11:13:08 PM »
 This probably belongs in the what does your SUP vehicle  thread but since these are downwind boards I figured they belonged here.  Covesurfer called me a dirty commie rat when I rolled up to the surf spot with my new ride.  Easy with SUS board.  But for two side by side down wind boards you need 60 inch bars.  I got the aero from Thules.  You have to lengthen the slot underneath and Thule doesn't recommend it but to fit two side by side, you need 60 inch bar.  Your battery range will suffer but for the distances I'm dealing with and the fast charging stations we have here (9) it works. 

PBill, wait till you drive this baby.  Poor mans Tesla.  Price was impossible to refuse.  Handles unreal with the low CG.  You're gonna have to bring dry clothes when you do runs with me and I got a plastic bin with lid for your radioactive surf shirts.

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: downwind boards on a Leaf
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2015, 12:43:31 AM »
Covesurfer called me a dirty commie rat when I rolled up to the surf spot with my new ride. 

PBill, wait till you drive this baby.  Poor mans Tesla.  Price was impossible to refuse.  Handles unreal with the low CG.  You're gonna have to bring dry clothes when you do runs with me and I got a plastic bin with lid for your radioactive surf shirts.

For the record, I think I called you a pinko commie rat. But, I am a little jealous. I think the EV's are positively cool. (I chose that word on purpose you know.)

Pono is going to like it, if you can fit him in there. I always thought my old BMW was a roomy sedan. Until Pono gets in it. It looks like one of those miniature cars the Shriners drive at the circus when he wedges himself in there.

The plastic bin with the lid is a good call. I think it's good to have rules for PB to violate when he comes back.

TN_SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 06:40:27 AM »
Headmount, how did you lengthen the slot underneath? I just received my 60" aero bars and realized they are too wide for the mounts. What a coincidence.
'13 SB Sprint, '15 SIC X-14 ProLite, RH Coastal Cruiser, Think EZE Ski, Kenalu Konihi 84  & Mana

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 07:07:51 AM »
Thank you Headmount. Now I can see the future. Side by side downwind boards on an EV? That is a goal I aspire to!
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 07:09:15 AM »
Until Pono gets in it. It looks like one of those miniature cars the Shriners drive at the circus when he wedges himself in there.

The plastic bin with the lid is a good call. I think it's good to have rules for PB to violate when he comes back.

Could be worse, you could be driving brother Bob around. He makes me look like a little guy. My late brother Dave was bigger than the two of us put together.

Cool wheels Bill. I can't imagine anyone going back to gas-powered cars after they've tried a modern electric.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2015, 09:02:33 AM »
Headmount, how did you lengthen the slot underneath? I just received my 60" aero bars and realized they are too wide for the mounts. What a coincidence.
Hacksaw.  I used the 32 teeth per saw.  It cuts cleaner tho slower than say a 12 teeth per.  The rest of the slot serves as a guide for the blade.  Use one of those small hacksaw frames to hold the blade steady.  I drew a line but don't think it mattered.  It takes a while.  I only had to cut about an inch for what I wanted to do so I only cut one side.  Unequal yes but less work.  In the no biggie category.  Finish with a small file.  Aluminum is soft.

There's a limit to how far back you take the rack on the Leaf because of the distance away from the flat part of the roof and the door frame.  As was my tower pads didn't end up on the top roof runner like they're designed to, just a little off towards the door.  But no biggie.  The clip length to the door limits how far you can make that stretch.   And make sure your door clip isn't touching the car body.  Look sideways and see iff there's some daylight between the car.  My was touching once so I readjusted pads slightly.

I was fighting for every inch of rack spread since I'm putting 17' boards on.  Ended up with 39" spread which works so far.  On windy days, over 30. I might go for a tie line from the nose of the board like I've seen DJ use.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2015, 09:04:57 AM »
Oh yeah.  Drill a hole, the width of the slot, where you want to end the cut and cut to it on both sides.  Worked good.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2015, 09:21:46 AM »
I'm trying to picture Mr. Mellow Boyum with range anxiety. Not a pretty mental picture. Worse yet would be Covesurfer. He'd be spinning like a top.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2015, 10:00:05 AM »
People talk about range all the time yet it's simple.   You just log your usage and find out what it is in the real world.  For instance while flat road is about 1%/mile, uphill is about 3%/mile.  Learn your distances and it's no sweat.  Two fast chargers upcountry and two in Kihei.  The ones in Kahului are usually packed and they're at the bottom of the hill anyway ... when you're usually full.  The charge icon is the your 'gas tank"  The miles left is BS.  I ignore it. 

Just try to avoid the late night shoot outs.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2015, 12:21:42 PM »
Yeah, that's one reason why EVs are so practical in Maui. One way to get everywhere, and not that many different places to go. I'm amazed they haven't taken over there. People are slow to change. They go on and on about EV range and then drive an extra twenty miles to fill up at Costco. I can't tell you how many times I've heard "won't work for me, you can't go to Lahina and back".  I say "How many times you been to Lahina this year?" "Well, none. but I might."

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2015, 04:20:13 PM »
If we go to Lahaina we'll go in your Tesla.

Actually there are a ton of Leafs here now.  Shirley hits me in the shoulder every time she sees one and I'm sore.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2015, 04:26:34 PM »
You could just cover the bottom of your boards with solar cells...enough surface area there to keep you going..... ;)
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

nj_sup

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
downwind boards on a Leaf
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2015, 04:37:14 PM »
How do you guys fit in there? I have a Chevy Avalanche that I'm running into the ground. 175,000 miles and going strong. Fits me, big bodies, multiple boards either surf or distance, ice hockey equipment, fishing gear, trolling outriggers, treestands no problem. I love this truck, disappointed they no longer make it Always had a truck for my lifestyle and work. Can't imagine being without a pickup. Next one when that time comes most likely will be a Silverado. Don't mean to high jack the thread btw
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 04:42:17 PM by nj_sup »
mike
Fanatic 9'5" Allwave
Fanatic 9'10" Allwave
Fanatic 12' Ray Wood Edition
KeNalu Ho'oloa 95 paddle

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2015, 08:14:50 PM »
How do you guys fit in there? I have a Chevy Avalanche that I'm running into the ground. 175,000 miles and going strong. Fits me, big bodies, multiple boards either surf or distance, ice hockey equipment, fishing gear, trolling outriggers, treestands no problem. I love this truck, disappointed they no longer make it Always had a truck for my lifestyle and work. Can't imagine being without a pickup. Next one when that time comes most likely will be a Silverado. Don't mean to high jack the thread btw
No worries, in fact you have a great point, which is, also keep a truck handy.  I do.  I'm keeping my Nissan Frontier, shy in comparison to an Avalanche but very useful.  Like you say, sometimes you need a truck, just not most of the time.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2015, 08:16:17 PM »
Oh and to answer your question.  There's a ton of room inside.  Head room especially which is great for a tall guy like PBill

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal