Author Topic: What's it like when you're off your board in the Gorge?  (Read 11735 times)

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: What's it like when you're off your board in the Gorge?
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2015, 05:08:53 PM »
The whole net idea just adds one more element of scary.

Just coincidentally, I saw this photo:
http://www.warrenkeelan.com/collections/wave-prints/products/the-great-beyond?variant=1173812693

It's the ocean, not the Columbia, and who knows how much higher the water is rising in the photo compared to the river, but it does illustrate the idea of how intimidating rough water looks like from water level. Land could be 100 yards away, but you'd never know it. Obviously this isn't news to anyone used to the conditions, but if you were caught by surprise--even if just in terms of degree--it could be intimidating.  Everyone's seen lots of photos of the Columbia on a strong day, but usually they're from shore, or taken with a GoPro that distorts the size and power.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 05:11:56 PM by pdxmike »

JP4

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2015, 05:49:16 PM »
It can get huge, especially out east.  I had one particularly memorable windsurfing session years ago at Three Mile Canyon where at times I could not see the shore from deep in the troughs of the swell.  In the middle of the river you might be more than 1/2 mile from shore.  A lonely place when it's ripping.
JP
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 05:55:42 PM by JP4 »

JP4

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2015, 05:54:10 PM »
Wow Chan.  Caught in a net?  How scary is that.  And a little bizarre as well being a human in a net.  Guys get their props fouled out here in the ocean so I can dig what you're saying.  Sounds like some twilight zone tale. 

So the answer is to have a knife strapped to your ankle?

As I posted previously, I got my leg caught in one of those gill nets while windsurfing.  Luckily I was holding onto my board and able to extract myself.  I don't think that would be possible in the current without hanging onto a board or wearing a buoyant pfd.  I think even cutting yourself loose with a knife would be difficult in a strong spring current.
JP

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2015, 06:51:23 PM »
I've been tangled in a gill net a couple of times. Got my fin and leash tangled, crawled back to detangle, fell in. Took a while to get everything undone, but it wasn't too hard. Then again, I didn't panic. Start waving around a bit and it's a different story.

At one of the Bump & Glide races Bob Reuter and I ware in a battle for who knows what place, I tried to outfox him by swinging wide of a net, wound up losing two places getting myself unwound.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2015, 08:21:44 PM »
It seems there were others on the scene fairly rapidly so this was very unfortunate -

"Video evidence from the camera on Pombo’s board showed him falling into the mid-channel of the river near Swell City with no personal flotation device, and disappearing from view after swimming one minute and two seconds in the Columbia, Hughes said.

Even more vivid than the video were witness accounts. A local kiteboarder, whose name was not released by police, saw Pombo fall into the water after a “big gust of wind” hit him, which “facilitated him going into the water,” said Hughes.

The kiteboarder paddled out to where she saw Pombo fall in within two minutes, but he had already vanished. Four more paddle boarders converged on the spot within minutes and were unable to find him, Hughes said, even when they searched “from shore to shore.”"

http://t.hoodrivernews.com/news/2015/aug/26/our-lost-brother/?templates=tablet
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2015, 08:51:26 PM »
The thing is that once people get into the drowning reflex, where they're just concentrating in keeping their mouth above water, there's just not much time. Especially in rough water. If they inhale some water and start coughing they go into laryngospasm, and can't breath for a while, which spirals the panic down fast. If they inhale water it goes that much faster. It's an amazingly ineffective panic reflex, and even if help is available it has to be rendered effectively, in seconds, not minutes. There's a reason why 4,000 people die per year in the US from drowning. It happens fast, and it happens easily.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2015, 02:13:52 AM »
^^^ thinking the same thing.

A bad luck breath of water and coughing spasms set in. All it would take is a second bit of bad luck and more water in while trying to cough and things get desperate. Especially without a board to hang on to.

Switching from fresh water sports to ocean one kind of takes for granted the pleasant extra bouyancy. One almost needs to consciously notice. When switching from ocean to fresh water the reduced buoyancy always is disappointingly noticeable on first dip. Can be a bit off putting if conditions are also rough and tumble.

With all the millions of skiers that come to the Alps and the growing popularity of backcountry freeriding, where enthusiasm often outweighs prudence or sufficient knowledge of snowpack stability there still are more deaths by drowning in Switzerland than by avalanches. An odd statistic that never ceases to surprise people, given the media attention to avalanche fatalities.

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2015, 09:03:59 AM »
The thing is that once people get into the drowning reflex, where they're just concentrating in keeping their mouth above water, there's just not much time. Especially in rough water. If they inhale some water and start coughing they go into laryngospasm, and can't breath for a while, which spirals the panic down fast. If they inhale water it goes that much faster. It's an amazingly ineffective panic reflex, and even if help is available it has to be rendered effectively, in seconds, not minutes. There's a reason why 4,000 people die per year in the US from drowning. It happens fast, and it happens easily.

As someone how has experienced a near drowning myself in a school pool I am only too aware of how quickly this happens. Here's a vid that explains the process.

http://youtu.be/B2FW87q5BgU

And this which is shows footage of a person drowning (and being rescued)

http://youtu.be/X1mVcSUttX4
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 09:09:35 AM by Off-Shore »
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2015, 10:33:11 AM »
Instinctive drowning response -

"While distress and panic may sometimes take place beforehand, drowning itself is quick and often silent.[1][2][3] A person at, or close to, the point of drowning is unable to keep their mouth above water long enough to breathe properly and is unable to shout.[1] Lacking air, their body cannot perform the voluntary efforts involved in waving or seeking attention. Involuntary actions operated by the autonomic nervous system involve lateral flapping or paddling with the arms to press them down into the water in the effort to raise the mouth long enough to breathe, and tilting the head back.[1] As an instinctive reaction, this is not consciously mediated nor under conscious control.[1]

The lack of leg movement, upright position, inability to talk or keep the mouth consistently above water, and (upon attempting to reach the victim) the absence of expected rescue-directed actions, are evidence of the condition.[1]"

"The instinct takes place for typically no longer than the final 20–60 seconds during drowning and before sinking underwater.[1][4] In comparison, a person who can still shout and keep their mouth constantly above water may be in distress, but is not in immediate danger of drowning compared to a person unable to do so.[2]"

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instinctive_drowning_response

http://dujs.dartmouth.edu/winter-2012/the-mammalian-diving-reflex#.Veh_JGK9KSM
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2015, 12:44:57 PM »
The difference between freshwater and saltwater buoyancy really caught me by surprise recently. I grew up in pools and lakes and was always very comfortable swimming in freshwater. I even played water polo in college and was proficient at treading water with my legs only for long periods of time.

Since moving to the seacoast and getting into SUP paddling/surfing in the ocean the past few years, I've mostly been in seawater, and feel quite comfortable there in rough water .

So I was very surprised recently when I went to a friend's lakehouse and swam out to a raft about 30 yards away how tired I felt. Trying to keep myself afloat next to the raft, I felt like I had a cinderblock tied to my feet pulling me under! This was on a perfectly calm, flat day, in 75 degree water. Only afterwards did I realize that it was probably the freshwater that had me feeling like I was getting sucked down the whole time. I can't imagine having that experience for the first time in the churning river during serious downwind conditions as I watched my board disappear out of reach!

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2015, 12:52:18 PM »
I've been tangled in a gill net a couple of times. Got my fin and leash tangled, crawled back to detangle, fell in. Took a while to get everything undone, but it wasn't too hard. Then again, I didn't panic. Start waving around a bit and it's a different story.

At one of the Bump & Glide races Bob Reuter and I ware in a battle for who knows what place, I tried to outfox him by swinging wide of a net, wound up losing two places getting myself unwound.

I just realised that my laryngospasm I had a few nights ago is on my GO Pro....you can see and hear me gasping for air for about 30 secs before it calms down and my throat starts to open. Can't say it was fun.

TDoc

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • surfinoregon.com
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2015, 02:01:16 PM »
I recall a post where someone referenced Andres' mother as saying her son was "not a strong swimmer".

I swam competitively from grade school through college, played water polo (goalie...so I got to tread water with a cinder block or deck chair in my hands while the other players did drills...still resentful about that one!), and worked as an ocean lifeguard...I'm comfortable in most water.

But I wouldn't consider myself a strong swimmer at this point in my life...I'm pretty confident that I could swim an hour or two even in rough conditions (but certainly no plans or hopes to test it!). I tried to get back into pool swimming for conditioning and I hated it.

Used to be able to hold my breath free diving for close to 3 minutes...60 seconds would be tough now! A wrecked shoulder doesn't help any...

Growing up in the ocean...I was always leery about lakes & rivers, just weird...but never have had any issues being off my board on downwinders (and I'm off a lot!).

The nets on the Columbia freak me out...I also got tangled in one and while I didn't panic, I was certainly worried since I got progressively my tangled the more I tried to get loose...never fell in, but that would add a whole other level and one I have no plans to test.

Most of my falls on DWs haven't been completely ass over teakettle...a couple tho, and I certainly had my arm up over my head (longtime longboard surfing reflex maybe?)...I never felt that the water was heavier or that I went any deeper particularly than in surfing wipeouts.

My last downwinder, a windsurfer was bearing down on me and yelled "I don't know how to turn yet!"...while I hope he was joking as he went by me...I don't know for sure.

Doc

digger71

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2015, 02:24:53 PM »
As has been mentioned many times here, I was also very surprised how quickly I sank in the Columbia.  I'm in the ocean 5 days a week but on the Tuesday before the races when I went for a paddle near Wells I jumped in to cool off I sank like a stone!  Not a big deal on a no-wind flatwater paddle, just surprising, but when you are exhausted...

The reports say he swam for the board for just over a minute.  While a person can be a fit paddler, if they don't swim much and then swim hard/panicked for 1 minute that could easily be enough to reach the point of exhaustion.  Notice in DJ's video when his board begins to separate from him (I still get chills when I watch that) he swims hard for maybe 5 seconds before conserving energy and focusing on surviving. 

baddog

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
The Choice is clear; no choice. wear a leash or a PFD or both; or get a ticket.
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2015, 04:44:57 PM »
The first surprise for a person who lives by the ocean is how much less buoyant one is in fresh water. It's always a surprise, even if you knew it.

Freshwater scares the hell out of me.  Add the wind, waves and current in the gorge, I'd be wearing both.

Really doesn't matter if you're a world class swimmer or have some other excuse.  Wear a leash or a PFD or both.  Make it the law.  The elite will crybaby and newcomers will do it because they have to.  Talking about safety won't do it, but mandatory regulations will.

digger71

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2015, 05:27:43 PM »
Make it the law. 

The mandatory PFD part already is the law in Oregon.  Didn't help in this case
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 05:29:36 PM by digger71 »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal