Author Topic: Narrow!  (Read 6096 times)

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Narrow!
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2015, 08:40:36 AM »
Narrow boards for narrow surfers.  When the coach looks at you and says "Offensive Lineman?" ...well you know your dreams of being a jockey or gymnast are over.  ;D

There's a little gal (I don't know her name but see her all the time at San O with the infinity crew) who sups an Aipa 8' fun shape/mini mal board.  It's totally the right size for her and she rips it up.  It would be a crap shoot if I could even catch anything on it prone.

Variety is one of the best things about SUP Surfing.  So many different shapes are required to fit everyone, and then once proficient, you'll probably want a decent quiver for the different conditions.  Statements like "this board works great for everyone" get a few squints of suspicion after a while. That said, if Amin ever wants to sell that longboard...?

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2015, 09:35:08 AM »
That longboard is  9'4"x 23"x 3.75" and he is def riding well . Maybe doable for me as a sup so I'd give it try. I never ride my longboards more than 9'0"x 22"x 2.75".  Looks fun. And Baja, you're lookin' STRONG on that Simmons!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 09:39:00 AM by surfercook »
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2015, 10:42:51 AM »
He has great balance.. I am at the point that anything less than 32" wide is a waste of time... I am of the Simmons train of thought.. You surf the rails..  It was hard for me to wrap my mind around it, at first, but once I went wide, I will never go narrow again... even on my prone boards....But to each their own..
Looking good in those pics, Baja!
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2015, 12:53:17 PM »
 Collin McPhillips was out on his custom 9'2 ×27 ×2-3/4 long board yesterday . He was ripping it up, nose riding and his famous carving cut backs. His board was wax only and 95% under water. Collin is maybe 160 pounds. I think any narrower and he'd be completely under water. He can definitely catch anything he wants, even with that sunk board.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

supsurf-tw

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2015, 05:24:56 PM »
A wider shorter board is more maneuverable than a longer narrower one so what's your point ?
Boards:

8-10 x 31 Egg
8-11 X 32 Double wing Fangtail Tom Whitaker
8-6 X 30 1\2  Inbetweener Tom Whitaker
8-4 x 30 Hyper quad Tom Whitaker (wife's now)
8-4 X 31 1\4.  Round (wide) Diamond Tail Quad Tom Whitaker
 9-4 X 30 1\2. Swallow Stinger Quad Tom Whitaker (ex wifes now)
10-0 Brusurf for teach

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2015, 06:15:50 PM »
TW is right. If you go narrower your going to end up with more length to compensate. So you have a less maneuverable long board. Collin is a long boarder. He nose rides almost every wave he's on when he's out just surfing for fun, so narrower makes sense for him.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal