Author Topic: SIC Bullet 14 V2 vs X14  (Read 6644 times)

montigobay

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
SIC Bullet 14 V2 vs X14
« on: September 01, 2015, 03:05:07 PM »
I am looking for knowledgeable feedback on a choice I am trying to make about whether to buy a SIC Bullet 14v2 or the x14. I understand they are different boards so I am trying to determine what will be suit my uses here in the San Francisco Bay Area. My question is, how much faster is the x14 than the v2 on calm flatwater? 30 seconds on a 10 minute mile or minutes? Second question, at what what windspeed and size chop would the v2 become faster than the x14? Lastly, if folks think there is a better board for the mixed conditions of my region that would be great. I am not concerned about winning races, but want something fast without becoming too specialized or limited of use.  And I am 6ft 170 lbs and 47 yrs of age if any of that matters.

Area 10 hopefully could chime in having owned both boards.

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: SIC Bullet 14 V2 vs X14
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 05:06:44 PM »
Hi Montigo,

We're lucky enough to have both available for demo in the regular Saturday afternoon race that Raf organizes up here every week in the summer, so I've tried both on the same course and seen lots of others on those boards too. The course includes a variety of conditions on Casco Bay, from relatively flat, protected water, to large boat wakes, small groundswell, big wind chop, strong tidal currents, and confused, reflected waves.

Conditions vary from week to week, so this isn't a controlled experiment, but my overall speed wasn't noticeably different between the two boards. Relative to the other racers who usually participate, I finished in about the same position in both races. I might have been a little faster in the flat water on the X-14 Pro (certainly felt faster and better glide), but I fell more in the chop and boat wakes, so it was basically a wash. This mirrors my impression with other paddlers on those boards too.

Overall, I think the X-14 Pro may be slightly faster in very flat water, especially for a highly trained and experienced paddler that can balance easily and get the most of out any board. The course record was actually set on an X-14, though I think that paddler would have beaten everyone handily on the Bullet V2 also.

The V2 is definitely a more versatile all-around board, with a better shape for downwinding, surf, or rough water, so I'd recommend that one unless you're a really competitive racer in very flat water. Reading your post again, it sounds like you value versatility over pure flatware speed, so that sounds like the V2 (which is still very quick in flatware). If you're not in a hurry, you might wait to check out the new SIC FX models next year, which sound like a more rough-water oriented version of the FX, tuned for racing like the X-14 Pro, but more stable in rough water like the V2.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 05:39:40 PM »
Depends on your ability but for rougher water go Bullet 14V2 -> flatter go X-14.  Have the Bullet and tested the X-14 and Pro.  Standing way forward negates most of the surf nose push so you can get decent speed on flat -> DW and slop and chop the Bullet takes off.  Non-specialized non-race situation in mixed conditions the Bullet works like a charm.  If racing on flat would go Pro for sure.   ;)
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

montigobay

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 05:31:40 PM »
Just took both out in San Rafael. Speed - no significantly noticeable difference in down wind speed. X14 is faster but not by much. Big difference came paddling back up wind. X14 less stable, harder to fight cross wind (10 knot) and chop  but pierced small chop well. Speed on the v2 was faster, easier to keep on course. More stable. Had almost same time. For Both. Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bing

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 09:23:53 PM »
I have both boards and like them both.   For flat days and small downwinders, the X14 pro is much faster and does a very good job catching bumps.  For downwind days above 20 knots, I go with the V2.  The V2 is better for bumps 2ft and larger.  It is an incredibly stable board and catches everything.

mr_proper

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2015, 12:12:01 AM »
up to which riders weight the X14 Pro works fine? I heard that with 202 lbs the X14pro is like a u-boat ;) Is it true? how much faster is the X14Pro to the X14SCC?
SIC RS 14x23, 2018
SIC RS 14x26, 2018
Lightcorp Signature Race 14x24.75, 2018 (sold)
JP Australia AdventurAir 12x36, 2017
Starboard Allstar 14x24.5, 2017 (sold)
SIC Bullet 14x27.25 TWC, 2015
Jimmy Lewis Sidewinder 14x25, 2016 (sold)
Sprint 14x23, 2015 (sold)
JL Stiletto 14x28, 2014 (sold)

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2015, 04:27:35 AM »
Bing,  can you get back on the tail far enough to avoid pearling the X14 when down winding? I don't know why they put the leash attachment so far forward on this board,  but I stumbled over it when trying to get back on the tail while surfing a small wave the other day.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2015, 04:59:19 AM »
Bing,  can you get back on the tail far enough to avoid pearling the X14 when down winding? I don't know why they put the leash attachment so far forward on this board,  but I stumbled over it when trying to get back on the tail while surfing a small wave the other day.

Eh? Are you using the leash attachment at the back of the board? I've surfed and DWed mine and never had this problem. But there are two deck plugs that you can use to carry your board with, but putting loops in them than then putting your paddle through them both. Are you using one of those instead as your leash attachment?

Or are you talking about the X14 Pro?

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2015, 05:16:11 AM »

Eh? Are you using the leash attachment at the back of the board? I've surfed and DWed mine and never had this problem. But there are two deck plugs that you can use to carry your board with, but putting loops in them than then putting your paddle through them both. Are you using one of those instead as your leash attachment?

Or are you talking about the X14 Pro?
I'm talking about the X14 Pro.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2015, 01:39:40 PM »
I am looking for knowledgeable feedback on a choice I am trying to make about whether to buy a SIC Bullet 14v2 or the x14. I understand they are different boards so I am trying to determine what will be suit my uses here in the San Francisco Bay Area. My question is, how much faster is the x14 than the v2 on calm flatwater? 30 seconds on a 10 minute mile or minutes? Second question, at what what windspeed and size chop would the v2 become faster than the x14? Lastly, if folks think there is a better board for the mixed conditions of my region that would be great. I am not concerned about winning races, but want something fast without becoming too specialized or limited of use.  And I am 6ft 170 lbs and 47 yrs of age if any of that matters.

Area 10 hopefully could chime in having owned both boards.
In answer to your Qs:

1. "how much faster is the x14 than the v2 on calm flatwater? 30 seconds on a 10 minute mile or minutes?"

30 seconds on a 10 minute mile is probably about exactly right.

2. "at what what windspeed and size chop would the v2 become faster than the x14?"

Upwind, the X14 would be slightly faster until you get to about 20 knots and knee-high bumps. But there isn't that much in it. Upwind performance is not a particularly strong feature of the X14, because upwind is a lot about how narrow a board is, and anything 28.5" wide is not going to fly upwind.

Downwind, the X14 can be quite effective in really small stuff (6 inches to 1ft and up to 15 knots) but is always technically harder than the Bullet 14v2. By the time you get to downwind rather than downbreeze conditions (i.e. where you can plane the board very regularly and are mostly in surf stance, say 20 knots and above and knee-high+ bumps) the Bullet has a pretty huge advantage. All displacement nose type board are relatively hard to get on a plane downwind, and flat rocker means you cannot exploit the full length of the board to eke the most out of it - you tend instead to be stuck towards the back of the board to avoid pearling, and have weight on the flattest part of the bottom. But in general, downwinding displacement nose boards is really unpredictable. Sometimes you'll get certain conditions when they go really quite well, and then the next day in conditions that don't seem radically different they just bog down. So it is quite hard to predict how well the X14 would go in your conditions, especially since I haven't paddled them. But it is safe to say that the Bullet V2 makes downwinding pretty much anything a delight, every time (except perhaps, an average paddler in totally huge conditions).

Cross-wind, pretty much any DW type, low nose (and hard railed) volume board will be pleasanter than a displacement nose (and soft railed) board.

3. "if folks think there is a better board for the mixed conditions of my region that would be great. I am not concerned about winning races, but want something fast without becoming too specialized or limited of use."

The contributors to this forum are a pretty skilled bunch, and there is a preponderance of people who race regularly. So their natural inclination will always been to guide you towards a theoretically "faster" board - which usually means tippy. The X14 Pro is going to be pretty tippy for most recreational racer or casual paddler unless you paddle in windless lake-type conditions and are under 200lbs. Some people love the challenge of trying not to fall in every 30 seconds, and will suggest that your testicles must be the size of raisins if you don't want to spend scores of torturous hours mastering a tippy board like they have done. But those people who want to enjoy their paddling rather than make every outing a trial are often better served by buying something that is fast enough for the occasional race, but stable enough to make paddling in most conditions a pleasure. This describes the X14 well. It is fast enough for most average-sized and above people for racing, but makes a very pleasant touring board as well. It copes surprisingly well with bad conditions, relative to many other flat water boards: you can tell that MR comes from an ocean background.

The Bullet 14V2 is of course a downwind/ocean board, primarily. As with all DW boards, it is not fast in flat water, and you wouldn't want to race one in a pure flat water race. But if you don't race, then paddling a DW board is just about more pleasant in nearly all conditions, with the possible exception of upwind. DW boards  make great all-round boards because they are designed to cope with just about anything that nature can throw at you. DW boards tend to be less tippy for their width than flat water boards, and are less susceptible to cross-winds. For the less experienced, they tend to steer more predictably. The Bullet is very well-mannered and even surfs well for its size (although, actually, the X14 surfs surprisingly well too).

I don't think either board would be a mistake, and I don't think there is anything clearly better out there for what you want to do. If you paddle flat water (i.e. under 15 knots and with only ripples of 6 inches or less) most often, or are considering maybe a flat water race or two, or flat water distance touring, then I'd suggest gettimg the X14. If you want a board for more adventurous conditions on a regular basis, or just want something that you know copes particularly well with cross-winds, or you want to develop downwinding as part of your repertoire, and you aren't interested in flat water racing, then get the Bullet 14v2. Whatever you get, you really need the SCC construction if you can possible afford it. The cheaper one really changes the performance of the boards.

If you wanted something cheaper, you might consider the Bark Downwinder, which is a good all-rounder. The new SIC FX seems almost tailor-made for what you describe, but it only comes in a pretty narrow width for a non-racer, so will be more tippy than the Bullet or X14. So I'd suggest demoing one first, if you are considering that. Then there are the new raft of DW boards that are a bit flatter in rocker than previous generations, so are a bit better in flat water (and more technical in big conditions) like the Naish Javelin Maliko, Starboard All Star 2016, and Fanatic Falcon 2016. All of them would probably make decent all-conditions boards for those who don't race flat water, and it would be mainly a question of finding a width and price that would suit.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 02:06:35 PM by Area 10 »

montigobay

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2015, 01:58:18 PM »
Very helpful. Given my nuts are not the size of raisins but I still don't have the time or interest to race vs get out when time allows in whatever be the conditions and have fun I am going w the v2. Plus I have never downwinded but my quick research of it makes me very excited to learn. Thanks for your feedback.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2015, 02:13:54 PM »
Very helpful. Given my nuts are not the size of raisins but I still don't have the time or interest to race vs get out when time allows in whatever be the conditions and have fun I am going w the v2. Plus I have never downwinded but my quick research of it makes me very excited to learn. Thanks for your feedback.

You are welcome. And thanks very much for the update on the size of your plums. I am sure they would put many a nectarine to shame.

I have an indecently large number of boards. In fact I think I own more than the local hire centre. But if I could only keep one, it would be the Bullet 14v2. Not only is it a pleasure to paddle, but it also looks so damn cool as well...

bing

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2015, 05:17:37 PM »
I think Area 10 assessment is right on.  Putting a larger fin on the X14pro will make it more stable but even than the Bullet V2 is more stable and easier to paddle in cross chop.  I have found the V2 to be really easy with cross chop and even a tendency to glide with the chop. 

Hey Board Stiff - I attach my leash to my inflatable PFD belt.  If the bumps are bigger than 2 to 2 1/2 ft, I do start running into stepping on the cord
when you need to get way back. For bigger waves, the Bullet is much easier and more fun.

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2015, 05:52:20 PM »
I think Area 10 assessment is right on.  Putting a larger fin on the X14pro will make it more stable but even than the Bullet V2 is more stable and easier to paddle in cross chop.  I have found the V2 to be really easy with cross chop and even a tendency to glide with the chop. 

Hey Board Stiff - I attach my leash to my inflatable PFD belt.  If the bumps are bigger than 2 to 2 1/2 ft, I do start running into stepping on the cord
when you need to get way back. For bigger waves, the Bullet is much easier and more fun.

I also attach my leash to my inflatable PFD belt. Works well.
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal