Author Topic: Sand down whacks before applying Rail Tape?  (Read 1697 times)

supthecreek

Sand down whacks before applying Rail Tape?
« on: September 01, 2015, 12:23:59 PM »
My Alana has a lot of paddle whacks in the paint..... will that mess up application of Railsaver Pro?

I just hate to sand paint off if unnecessary

not cuts in skin.... just paint chipped off. You can feel them easily with your finger... but thin paint, so not deep

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: Sand down whacks before applying Rail Tape?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 12:54:10 PM »
Nope...just make sure there aren't any loose pieces.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

supthecreek

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 01:12:17 PM »
the only thing loose is.... me  ;D

Thanks... I hit it with some 500 wet and dry to take the edges off..... it didn't touch the rest of the paint.

Now for the excitement of RSP application  ;D

Board will be sold tomorrow.... I want it to look good.
My Sunova has spoiled me for all my other boards.... I surfed the Alana yesterday..... good, but the thrill has been stolen by my Speeed.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 01:18:05 PM »
You need to make sure you get off anything that's already loose, and I like to knock down the edges. I use 220 wrapped on hard foam. But then again I beat the holy crap out of my rails. If your're doing it for yourself and you want the RSPro to be reusable, you don't want loose flakes under it. You can test by sticking some duct tape down and yanking it back off. Lifts the hidden delammed paint off. You might not like the result though--your rails might look like mine. If you're doing it for sale and you're losing control of the RSPRo anyway, then what the heck.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2015, 03:17:22 PM »
By sand I figured you meant vigorously to smooth it out. I picked any loose stuff off and sanded any edges lightly, inspected for more edges, removed any I found, sand again, inspect, clean well, RSPro. The RSPro didn't peel anything off...I repositioned it a few times to get it perfect.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 03:21:08 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2015, 03:48:14 PM »
My Alana has a lot of paddle whacks in the paint..... will that mess up application of Railsaver Pro?

I just hate to sand paint off if unnecessary

not cuts in skin.... just paint chipped off. You can feel them easily with your finger... but thin paint, so not deep

I'd use black [or colored] RSPro and just put it straight on.. without sanding first.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal