Author Topic: Isle of Man SUP session  (Read 3476 times)

ManxSUP

• Waikiki Status
  • kook from the Isle of Man
    • View Profile
    • stuff I get up too...
    • Email
Isle of Man SUP session
« on: September 01, 2015, 08:03:46 AM »
well...I made a start on open water SUP, fortunately it was very very flat! here's a little video for anyone interested

this was a couple of weeks ago, have been out on chop since and getting my sea legs, will upload some surf video once we get some waves! Should be mostly me falling in, but we all got to start somewhere?!

Kook from the Isle of Man. Mediocre at SUP, poor to average surfer, not bad on a motorcycle though...

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Isle of Man SUP session
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 08:26:52 AM »
Thanks for the tour. Looks like a peaceful paddling spot. Your music tastes are as broad as mine. I'm looking forward to what will be some interesting surfing soundtracks for sure:)
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 08:45:49 AM »
Nice. I have a frantic day ahead, getting my trailer cleaned out, race car in the back, everything ready for a race this weekend. Plus grandkids to entertain (my turn) and a financial planning meeting at 4:30. Sheesh. But that calmed me right down.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

ManxSUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • stuff I get up too...
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 01:00:31 AM »
We get a lot of storms here from September to March, so look out for some far less peaceful video from the same spot!
This beach is subject to lots of local conflict at the moment as the authorities are trying to get public opinion in favour of dropping massive amounts of stone to add to the existing sea defenses along the seawall. See the CGI attached  :-\

Kook from the Isle of Man. Mediocre at SUP, poor to average surfer, not bad on a motorcycle though...

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 01:42:59 AM »
Nice, and what the other guys said, so peaceful.  Looking forward to seeing its other faces.  And does that point have a wave?

Your video was nicely produced as well, you spent some time there.

ManxSUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • stuff I get up too...
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2015, 12:55:51 AM »
thanks for the nice comments, really appreciated. That image is Bayr ny Carricky, just a shore-break here, great for beginners as it's sandy and no rips but the coast for 2 or 3 miles to the right has lots of reefs and slabby waves depending on the tide, they don't break consistently but you gotta make the most of where you live, and make the most of surf trips away from home  8)

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2015, 03:03:08 AM »
That looks like a beautiful place to paddle and I hope they don't cover the whole beach with rocks, that would be a shame.  Maybe you have figured it out by now, but in the video you are holding the paddle backwards.  The curved part of the handle goes into your palm and the blade should be angled forward away from you.  Don't worry, most of us held it that way the first time, it seems like that's the intuitive way to hold the paddle.  Check this video at 1:20:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCpFF94HlaU
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

supthecreek

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2015, 03:12:57 AM »
Ha ha.... I was just writing that it looks like you are holding the paddle backwards. The teacher in me....

I really enjoyed the panoramas and the beautifully clear water..... great conditions for a solo cruise.

agreed on the music.... thanks for taking the time to bring us into your world, that was much more peaceful than that little race you folks hold over there ;D

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2015, 01:33:40 PM »
You'll be laughing at yourself in a few years ........ :) ;D

ManxSUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • stuff I get up too...
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2015, 12:50:59 AM »
haha I'm laughing at myself now! I do the same in the water too when i get a bout of the wobbles!!

I know I'd be opening myself to some comments by posting the video as i'm so new to the sport. All taken onboard, and gratefully received, all criticism is constructive from my point of view

Thanks all  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal