Author Topic: Surfing my 12'6'' Glide.  (Read 2080 times)

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Surfing my 12'6'' Glide.
« on: August 31, 2015, 08:20:49 PM »

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Surfing my 12'6'' Glide.
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 10:25:22 PM »
DJ you are a consummate DJ. Throwing down some great surf video music. Love it! 
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 06:00:04 AM »
Magic!  It's the hook that gets us.  Thanks for the ride.

marcioferrari

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 08:43:44 AM »
Hi DJ, is this a full displacement board or there is some nose rocker? I´m asking because I have a 12'6" x 30 displacement board and never succeeded surfing it. The nose dives and it turns in a strange way - like to the opposite side that I´m putting my weight on.

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2015, 09:56:47 AM »
Hi DJ, is this a full displacement board or there is some nose rocker? I´m asking because I have a 12'6" x 30 displacement board and never succeeded surfing it. The nose dives and it turns in a strange way - like to the opposite side that I´m putting my weight on.

That's not uncommon.  I was just out this morning surfing my 14.  Unless I step back far enough, weighting the rail will cause the nose to go in the opposite direction.  It's only when I step back, get enough weight to engage the fins and pull the rails up that I can get the board to behave differently.  I constantly need to be reminded to move my feet as it's easy to get lazy and try to accomplish things with my hips and upper body.
Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5
Ke Nalu Mana, Konihi, Maliko

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2015, 03:43:49 PM »

Good question.. and I agree.. It is common and stepping way back is the trick.

I haven't surfed this board in 10 months and my first wave and first turn I fell off.. It spat me off making me think what the hell did I do wrong..

You need to be way back the minute you feel any push from the wave and keeping the nose up is critical.. Trying to turn from the middle of the board will result in opposite rail turning and rail catching.. and although this board has no nose rocker it has some tail rocker so the more you get back the more you can raise the nose..

Keeping the nose pointed directly towards shore (90 deg to the wave) on take off is also very important because and angle will often result in a rail catching.

Also what fin are you using.. Last time I surfed this board I was using my faverite flat water fin.. The gladiator pro.. and although it works great on flat water I found it very difficult to use when surging.. It just wants to track too well.. These 9" dolphin fins from FCS that just click in (tool-less) are great and very cheap if you were to buy one to use just for surfing.

marcioferrari

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2015, 10:29:59 AM »
Thanks Bulky and DavidJohn for the info. I will try surfing it again following those tips - specially going far back on the board.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal