Author Topic: Racing - Shallow water start technique - Run or paddle?  (Read 1905 times)

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
Racing - Shallow water start technique - Run or paddle?
« on: August 30, 2015, 11:06:33 PM »
We had our 1st International SUP Race here in Hong Kong over the weekend with almost 100 paddlers of differing experiences and the Hong Kong Stand Up Paddle Board Association (HKSUPBA) organized 200m sprints, 1km beginners races, and a 4km intermediate and 5 mile / 8 km elite race + a great 4 person relay race. It was an awesome day despite the rain.

The day started out at high tide so beach starts were the norm but by the time the 4km / 8km race was due to start, the tide had gone out a way, and a water start was needed. The water was shallow so some of us ran almost 100 yards / 100m before getting on our boards. I'd be interested to know if anyone has tips on at what water depths is it faster to paddle than run?

https://youtu.be/LZURTYN2g84?t=1m28s
GoPro 4 - Headmounted.

Not having done much exercise in the last 2 weeks, I started out slow, thinking I'd conserve energy for the 2nd 1/2... Result? I could have done another 5 mile / 8 km at the end. The pacing thing is real hard.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 11:15:19 PM by Off-Shore »
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

jsupsocal

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Racing - Shallow water start technique - Run or paddle?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 09:20:10 AM »
I might have given thought to 4 things:

1- Using a keel fin if you had one. You might pick up at least 3 inches of water depth depending upon the typical fin you might be using.

2- Moving as far forward as your nose would allow for the initial 100 yards or so

3- Short dip the paddle

4- Be prepared to "brace for impact"   :)
2017 Infinity Blackfish custom 14x26 280L
2015 Lahui Kai 14x27

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 07:53:49 AM »
I might have given thought to 4 things:

1- Using a keel fin if you had one. You might pick up at least 3 inches of water depth depending upon the typical fin you might be using.

2- Moving as far forward as your nose would allow for the initial 100 yards or so

3- Short dip the paddle

4- Be prepared to "brace for impact"   :)

Great comments here. I did not think of the smaller fin. When the tide goes out here the bottom surface is uneven and so it can get shallower before it gets deeper. I think running in less than knee high water is faster than paddling but as soon as it gets above the knees it is best to jump on and paddle. That was the take anyway of those of us who raced.

Next time I think we'll start the race further out in above knee high water to stop the runners.
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

jsupsocal

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 01:43:48 PM »
Having a keel fin may provide other benefits than being able to paddle in shallow water earlier than other deeper fins.

Keel fins typically have a larger overall surface area and their design promotes a better tracking board with a greater amount of stability in the swells and side chop. If your races are longer, straighter, with a minimum number of turns, i.e..  45 and 90 degree bends, as opposed to several 180's you'll appreciate the the straighter tracking and should see a great number of strokes per side on long stretches.
2017 Infinity Blackfish custom 14x26 280L
2015 Lahui Kai 14x27

Kaihoe

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 07:03:42 PM »
 I find the right depth depends on the conditions, if its rough I can often run out to where waves are hitting my waist.  In the conditions you had I would be running out to my knees ( surf lifesaving style with your legs flapping to the side)

The real decider for me is momentum.  You want to still be going fast enough to be able to launch the board (and yourself) forwards as you stop running. So the faster your running the deeper you can go:)  On a long run like that I'd consider putting an (extra) sprint in just before launching

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2015, 09:04:46 PM »
running is faster than paddling if the water is shin deep, but it takes a lot of energy. Take a few minutes and see how fast you can go in shallow water. there's more drag in shallows because of the reflected pressure wave.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal