Author Topic: No need to worry about Great Whites in the line up  (Read 3826 times)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
No need to worry about Great Whites in the line up
« on: August 30, 2015, 05:53:52 PM »
When you have a guy next to you that looks like a cross between a jitterbug rapala and a wounded seal costume........ :o

I'm not kidding, I felt like warning the guy. Chubby in full rubber, red and black boogie, red and black fins. There was a couple of times when he was talking off that it already looked like he was being hit by a shark there was so much splashing and red flashing around.

I'm not really too concerned about sharks on my SUP but if I was this guy I'd at least get some different gear.

Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: No need to worry about Great Whites in the line up
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 07:12:48 PM »
Too funny. I was out at Indian Beach a few weeks ago and someone asked me if I was nervous about sharks. Really? I'm standing up on a boat, and I'm surrounded by people who look like seals, splashing around in the water like they're injured. Maybe when the last one of the decoys goes down I'd need to head for the beach.

And yeah, there was a guy in a black and orange wetsuit. Looked like something left over from the 70's made for windsurfers.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 08:11:28 PM »
As long as I see Kenny Powers somewhere in the lineup,  I don't worry. Mahalo Kenny!

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 08:31:27 PM »
The guy was actually pretty good once he got a wave and he was serious about his gear. I saw him up by the showers later rinsing and bagging it all. Probably the highest end looking boogie gear I've ever seen. Didn't have the heart to tell him he looked like a wounded seal.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 08:33:42 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2015, 08:35:03 PM »
I like the wetsuits that some of the kids wear that are colored like poisonous South American frogs. Those suits look a bit flamboyant on adults.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

SCruzSUPr

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2015, 09:23:27 PM »
I like the wetsuits that some of the kids wear that are colored like poisonous South American frogs. Those suits look a bit flamboyant on adults.

Flamboyant?  Dali ain't got nothin on you, Carl. Keep the stoke going.  It's what gets us kooks back in the water, day after day...

BTW tomorrow a.m. looks really promising.  I will be there at 05:30.  My son says he wants to play hooky and surf too.  So we negotiate: Foote?  Or Speeed?  and on a day like tomorrow his old 10'6" Naish Nalu (28") would be a challenging, but potentially rewarding sled as well. 

Blessed to be alive and surf another day
10' x 32"        Bill Foote  Triton
9'5" x 31"       Sunova Speeed
11'2" x 32"     Bill Foote 'Geezer Sled'

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2015, 11:16:47 PM »
Things are looking good for a maybe Wed. dawn patrol, Paul.  I am still inland until Tues, night, but the missus has to confirm when we leave, her wish is my command.

My wife noted that I matched: the red shorty, the red car, and the red Prowave.  I told her I have never intentionally matched anything in my life and it is purely an accident.  The red shorty was $25 bucks on ebay, but it does look a bit flash for an old guy.

I thought shark's only liked yellow, now I'm worried.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2015, 04:43:18 AM »
Neon colored wetsuits are back in this year. I went into the shop a few weeks ago and almost all the new suits had bright colors on them. It reminded me of back in the eighties. I like it.

I never thought that it might attract sharks. Personally, I doubt that a shark is going to care if a seal is black or colored.

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

jpeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2015, 05:13:02 AM »
Kiters have had the fashion of wearing trunks on the outside of the wetsuits,   which I always thought was weird.   One guy that I know does see it as an added benefit of not looking like a seal.    "The more I look like a circus clown,  the safer I am from getting bitten by a shark"  was his comment when I was making fun of his getup.

Outstanding day on Sunday on the outer Cape beaches.  I got a few photos,  but was mostly on the water.

JP

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2015, 06:36:41 AM »
There was a rather limited test done to see if sharks had any color preference. It seemed to show red and yellow were attractive....so of course my favorite board is orange.... :o
Bob

jpeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2015, 09:47:56 AM »
EDIT,  Saturday,  not Sunday.

FeralInBaja

• What?
  • Rincon Status
  • Beginner's mind... works for me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2015, 12:16:56 PM »
Sorry if someone already said it, I just picked up this thread at the end cause I love reading the stuff Stoneaxe writes. But remember, you don't have to paddle faster than the sharks, just faster than the other guys!   ;)
8' 4" S3 Simsup 134 ltr.
6' 10" 88 ltr. Solid Surf Quad

Blue Planet Surf
FeatherLight Carbon Paddle!
Gifted from Rob- Eternal Aloha to you Rob.
Isle Pro Carbon Paddle
Surfercook Special ThankYou!!!

CamOne Infinity and GoPro (Sadly destroyed in Big Beachbreak)
Thank you Wetstuff and NoSaltSuper

PDLSFR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2015, 01:05:50 PM »
Sorry if someone already said it, I just picked up this thread at the end cause I love reading the stuff Stoneaxe writes. But remember, you don't have to paddle faster than the sharks, just faster than the other guys!   ;)

That's funny.....better look out then Mr. Big, Creek, Stoney, as the slow man in might become a snack !!!
Infinity RNB 8'2
Ron House 9'7
Ron House 10'7
Infinity New Deal 10'
Custom Infinity New Deal 10'
VEC 11'
Focus Bluefin 14'

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2015, 07:16:28 PM »
Kiters have had the fashion of wearing trunks on the outside of the wetsuits,   which I always thought was weird.   One guy that I know does see it as an added benefit of not looking like a seal.    "The more I look like a circus clown,  the safer I am from getting bitten by a shark"  was his comment when I was making fun of his getup.

That's funny. I typically wear compression tights with boardshorts over them and a neon top. I look like a very large, very homely yoga chick. Ru Ru Remon. I'm gonna change my name to RuRuBill.

Don't you DARE do that Admin.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 07:18:03 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal