Author Topic: What works well? Race/Event suggestions  (Read 2274 times)

kjulks

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
What works well? Race/Event suggestions
« on: August 30, 2015, 12:53:12 PM »
The Midwest SUP series wraps up in two weeks in Lake Geneva, WI at the Midwest SUP Masters. After that race, a bunch of us will be getting together to try and come up with some ideas for ways the series could improve in general, but also feedback for specific events.

I'd love to hear from you what you've liked about an event or race in your area, and why. Conversely, if you'd like to share something that didn't work well, it'd be similarly helpful to know what to avoid.

ex) Waterman's Paddle for Humanity in Minneapolis, MN this year hosted by Wai Nani Surf and Paddle. The flow of the whole day was flawless. A lot of events seem to be hurry up and wait. Haul ass before the race to get check-in sorted in time to hopefully squeeze in a good warmup and get to the line in time. Race ends, kill time until the awards ceremony, raffle, whatever it is. Probably leave right after

Not the case for this race. Registration/check-in was efficient, plenty of time for a warmup, plenty of time to get to the line, music and MC bringing people home off the water as they finish. After everyone was in we had a cool and engaging demonstration while they tabulated results. Soon after was a fun relay incorporating local culture (paddle a board using a plastic snow shovel) with a prize for male/female winners. Right after that were awards/raffle.

At no point was I bored or wondering, "Can they just do the awards already..."

ex 2) Once Around Belle Isle in Detroit, MI. The course was technically interesting and challenging compared to a lot of the courses around here. It wasn't a simple triangle, W, out and back, point to point, blah course. We started on Belle Isle about 1/3 from the north point and lapped the island. Upriver combined with upwind, interesting currents and rebound around the north point, downriver/downwind while navigating decent-sized wake in an international shipping channel, and back to upriver/upwind for 2/3 of the island for the finish. Way more fun than 6 laps around a 1 mile oval.

Thanks for any input!

Chan

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: What works well? Race/Event suggestions
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 07:38:58 AM »
I'll take a crack at some suggestions. 

Adding a regional teams component might be an interesting take, similar to a swim meet.
I'm not certain what's currently in place at the Midwest events, but the best races I've attended have games and entertainment in the water and on shore for family and friends. 

Also, if you could schedule up some wind that'll help  :)

« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 07:48:59 AM by Chan »

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 05:46:48 PM »
It's all about the vibe. Sounds like you have most of the bases covered. I know we need to do a better job of having things around for spectators while races are happening.

A beer sponsor is really good to have..... ;D. How is the party?...do you have a party? Giving folks a great time and the opportunity to socialize is huge. Some good music and good food, throw in all the good people and folks will remember what a great time they had. New friendships made, building community, and it gives the significant others that don't race a reason for wanting to come....which makes it easier for us to go.... 8)
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

kjulks

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 07:21:02 AM »
Adding a regional teams component might be an interesting take, similar to a swim meet.
I'm not certain what's currently in place at the Midwest events, but the best races I've attended have games and entertainment in the water and on shore for family and friends. 

Also, if you could schedule up some wind that'll help  :).
Thanks for the response! It's funny you bring up swimming - I've had the same comparison in mind for a few years, but it seems like things will have to grow a bit before my dreams would be feasible. I grew up swimming in the summers, and we had a bunch of pools around different parts of the city that would compete 1v1 on Saturdays. At the end of the season we'd hold "All City" with all of the teams for all the marbles. It was awesome. We've got a few boathouse/rental/shops around the city, and I've been trying to hatch a plan of how to encourage growth and participation so a similar setup could get rolling. We'll see.

Quote from: stoneaxe
How is the party?...do you have a party?
Thanks as well! So all of the races around here are put on my independent race organizers. A lot of them go for sanctioning through the WPA to provide some measure of consistency and points, but those points don't ultimately lead to anything. You can win the circuit for pride but that's about it. Anyways, that's a tangent. Whether or not there's a party is up to the race organizer. OABI in Detroit had an awesome setup: stage, local music, beer, food, outdoor retail vendors, the works. Same in Madison, WI, but that one was tied into an existing well-attended tradition of "Paddle and Portage". Some of the races are pretty lacking. Entry fees are all around the same price, but the disparity in the afterparty offerings is staggering.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 19, 2024, 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
April 19, 2024, 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard