Author Topic: What is the difference between ISC Helicopter Tape and Puka Patch Railsaver PRO?  (Read 4916 times)

JeffG

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Helicopter tape is about half the price of railsaver pro.  Is railsaver pro that much better?  I can get a roll of 3" x 30' roll of helicopter tape for $54.  The railsaver pro kit with 14' of tape cost $50.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
As far as I can see it's just packaging, and some deceptive branding. They jumped on the Railsaver Pro name, probably because RSPRo didn't have their trademark sorted here in the US.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
+1 Bill, Old wine in new bottles. Ersatz. Not the GuD stuff! Accept only the genuine..
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
We don't want that old wine, we want NEW wine.

Unfortunately, googling that doesn't get you a link to "The Jerk". It gets you a whole bunch of bible interpretations. I tend to jump out of that as quickly as I leave the radio stations where you hear some guy that sounds like Brian Johnson start singing about the Lord.  Yikes.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Biggreen

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
I use the helicopter tape. It's good, and works just fine for me, but I don't think it's as durable as the rail saver tape from what I've been able to determine. I say this because I'm too cheap to buy the rail saver tape.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
I just put some Rail Saver (didn't realize it was a Pukka product at tha time of order) on a JL board, went on easy and looks great.  I'll see how it holds up next to my Rail Saver Extreme also very nice.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
I got fooled too, in Maui. Bought what I thought was RSPro. Wasn't. Sucked.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Getting the real deal is a small price to pay for what it does. I've always whacked the crap out of my rails. I can't believe how good it works and it looks good. I even like the sound it makes as I'm paddling. Went on a nice flatwater paddle with my wife today before surf so I was on my 10-4. I can actually play a tune on the side of my board...makes a kind of zzziiiinnnngggg sound, scratch pad.....DJ stoneaxe.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
I also got fooled in Maui 3 years ago and bought the railsaver tape that is made by Puka. By the way, Puka Patches are awesome and have saved my bacon a few times.

But back to the tape: The stuff I installed on my white Chinese F 16 looked pretty decent when I first applied it. Unfortunately, within about six months, it yellowed and looked terrible. When I tried to removed it, it took all of the paint underneath clean off the board. I ended up removing it and repainting. The real RSP stuff does not yellow and even after a long period can be removed successfully, although it's still possible but less likely to pull paint off your rails. Several of us have applied RSPro to our outriggers and surf ski's as well, it works just as well as it does for boards to save vulnerable boat rails from paddle damage.

dingfix

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Ive used 3M  brand helicopter tape in the past, went on well and did not yellow over time. 

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Getting the real deal is a small price to pay for what it does. I've always whacked the crap out of my rails. I can't believe how good it works and it looks good. I even like the sound it makes as I'm paddling. Went on a nice flatwater paddle with my wife today before surf so I was on my 10-4. I can actually play a tune on the side of my board...makes a kind of zzziiiinnnngggg sound, scratch pad.....DJ stoneaxe.

Yes! The RS Pro reminds me a little of clothes-pinning cards in the spokes of my bike as a kid.   ;D

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
that's funny, I like the sound too. zzzzip, zzzzip.

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Ralph
Sup-position
(714) 899-3020 call, Text or Message

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Whuda thunk it..The SOUND of RSP is music to my ears as well..
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Whuda thunk it..The SOUND of RSP is music to my ears as well..

Back in the Day RSP meant Ralph's Special Project...

Might use it again...
Ralph
Sup-position
(714) 899-3020 call, Text or Message

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal